any ranges offering free shooting to furlough feds?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    don't understand why federal and state workers feel they should get breaks because of a temporary change,try living like some of us self employed do where you work all day and pay the bills and no profit left,i don't ask for special discounts.

Hey don't paint with such a broad brush! You're talking about a lot of us and the majority of us work our asses off and never ask for anything for free. And just in case you didn't know, our salaries suck (state) but many of us stay because we believe in something other than money.

Last edited:

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    I'm furloughed and would actually request that you please not lump all of us together because of one person with an obviously strange sense of entitlement. Generalizations hurt us all, regardless of what they entail: "all gun owners are crazed rednecks"; anybody on a motorcycle is vicious and does drugs; etc.

So please, when you don't care for a poster's comments direct your ire at him (or possibly her).

Not an attack folks, just a request.

:thumbsup:

chevydave

Sep 24, 2011
    severna park
    Hey I've worked for the government since 9-11. I don't make money like a lot of my coworkers. Maybe I don't kiss enough ass. I want to be back to work asap. I had to sign that I read the law that states I can't get other employment while furloughed which sucks.

Its not like you can't collect unemployment, deal with it dude many of us have been laid off at some point and time. Or you could be like I was at one point and time and have your hours cut to 15hrs a week so the company could save themselves from having workers on unemployment and I actually made less than I would have on unemployment. I ended up working 3 jobs to support my family. I havent been to a public range in months because I can't afford it on $11.50/hr with a family of four so either deal with the price or don't go at all its that simple. There's no reason to ask for a hand out.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    Yes some of us work very hard defending the nation from terrorism. So yes I am a very hard worker.

I wish they would allow us to burn leave but even that's not an option. I doubt with this economy and congress unable to balance a dang checkbook, I don't see them paying us.
    Now the funny part is on Monday I am to be promoted into an essential position but apparently hr is non essential so I cannot assume my new duty location. Now that's crazy!

HR as in HUMAN RESOURCES

sorry man, we are only kidding around but I gotta
    :lol::lol2:

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Hey I've worked for the government since 9-11. I don't make money like a lot of my coworkers. Maybe I don't kiss enough ass. I want to be back to work asap. I had to sign that I read the law that states I can't get other employment while furloughed which sucks.

Hey ****er no one cares at all whatever you signed you did so willingly therefore you made your bed so lay in it. No free rides for you :mad54:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I got laid off last week, I'm still looking for a new gig. As pond scum, aka Defense Contractor, I get no freebies like the gov't folks do so I make do. Like going to the free range 40 minutes west of where I live. Which explains my sore shoulder. But I digress.

Dec 31, 2012
    Sorry, cross posting this one because it's relevant.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2758080&postcount=122

You're going to get paid so lighten up on the drama.

This situation is not a furlough it is a temporary layoff without a definitive return to work date.
    Non-feds don't get back pay for temporary layoffs so why should non-working feds get it?

The essential, report to duty people, need to be paid without delay.
    The essentials are the ones I feel bad for. They get to work and their non-essential coworkers get soon to be paid vacation.

The non-essentials can go pound sand, use your accrued leave(I know they currently won't let you), or file for unemployment. I suggest you don't bother with the unemployment as you will have to pay it back when you get your vacation pay. Although, if you need the cash flow then by all means file for it.

I'm done with this topic. No need to let it piss me off more than it already has.

TWM

Jul 4, 2013
    Howard Co
    +1

I know it will fall on many deaf ears, but federal service not the gold standard it was 40-50 years ago. No pay raises for almost 5 years, benefits cut, Defense civilians were furloughed last year, now furloughs again. As in almost any company there are people who work hard and expect nothing, and there are those who don't. I'm used to all the accusations that all federal workers only work 10 hours a week and get full pensions after 5 years, but the reality couldn't be further from the truth. It's a decent job with decent benefits....there are worse jobs, but there are definitely better jobs too. I've never generalized someone based on where they work, and would hope others wouldn't either. I now stand ready for the onslaught....

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Maybe you could use your fully paid vacation with bountiful benefits out the wazoo to try to get your suicidal friend's .357 out of police impoundment. http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=110067

Then you can stop by Bass Pro and get the 100 rounds of free ammo they're offering all the poor vacationing federal employees. Ask for Smokey at the gun counter.

Then swing by the AGC Marriottsville Range for your free membership, just our way of helping out all the underprivileged government workers.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Maybe you could use your fully paid vacation with bountiful benefits out the wazoo to try to get your suicidal friend's .357 out of police impoundment. http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=110067

Then you can stop by Bass Pro and get the 100 rounds of free ammo they're offering all the poor vacationing federal employees. Ask for Smokey at the gun counter.

Then swing by the AGC Marriottsville Range for your free membership, just our way of helping out all the underprivileged government workers.

.Sounds like someone once tried to get a fed job but couldn't.

sent from somewhere in the world.

+1

I know it will fall on many deaf ears, but federal service not the gold standard it was 40-50 years ago. No pay raises for almost 5 years, benefits cut, Defense civilians were furloughed last year, now furloughs again. As in almost any company there are people who work hard and expect nothing, and there are those who don't. I'm used to all the accusations that all federal workers only work 10 hours a week and get full pensions after 5 years, but the reality couldn't be further from the truth. It's a decent job with decent benefits....there are worse jobs, but there are definitely better jobs too. I've never generalized someone based on where they work, and would hope others wouldn't either. I now stand ready for the onslaught....

No raise in five years...

welcome to the feelings of the rest of the country:sad20:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Sounds like someone once tried to get a fed job but couldn't.

You're wrong.

It has never in my life crossed my mind to seek any government job.

Why would you jump to such an unfounded conclusion? Do you assume that about everybody else who had a similar reaction to the OP?

Well anyway, knowing of the enormous sacrifices you make defending the defenseless against real terrorists, I do sincerely thank you, sir. Thank you for your genuine service to our country.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You're wrong.

It has never in my life crossed my mind to seek any government job.

Why would you jump to such an unfounded conclusion? Do you assume that about everybody else who had a similar reaction to the OP?

Well anyway, knowing of the enormous sacrifices you make defending the defenseless against real terrorists, I do sincerely thank you, sir. Thank you for your genuine service to our country.

Thanks for your comment.
    I jumped to the conclusion because I was waking at 3am on the west coast here after 11 hours down. I'm bitter at everything and everyone at the moment :) at an airport right now.
    Delicious burger will be breakfast
    It's still dark out here. :)
    sent from somewhere in the world.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yes some of us work very hard defending the nation from terrorism. So yes I am a very hard worker.

Some of us work very hard, only to be taxed by a government that doesn't give a chit about how they waste that money. Reading this thread, I am quite certain I make a lot more money than you. You should see WTF I pay in taxes. You will be paid retroactively. You have a lot of nerve looking for free range time as you enjoy a vacation on my dime.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I wonder what percentage of furloughed Gov (workers) know why some companies are offering freebies to them? Do they think the companies head honcho's feel sorry for them or are they looking to take advantage of thier free time? I trust it's the later. AMC movie theater offers them free small pop corn, why, to get them in the door and pay to see a movie. The media is trying to make it seem like the freebies are be cause the companies feel sorry for them, I think we all know thats not the truth. Most gov employee's are doing well with income and will be just fine through this and the companies know that so thats why they offered freebies. You don't see this happening to the millions that have been layed off for months or years do you. Thats because those people likely don't have any money they will spend a a companies freebie event.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I'm sure the Nation is put into peril without you being at work protecting us.

I think if you were as important as you thought you'd be at work.

Every government job is essential. There's no place left to cut. Pelosi and Obama have said so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom