• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Please weigh your buffer.

A little history:
    I was part of the Spikes lower GB April of last year along with the PSA lower build kit. I then purchased a Spikes upper before receiving the lower which at the time Spikes provided their most talked about Tungsten powered filled ST-T2 buffer.

The issue:
    As I got into the hobby of AR's my interest grew and I gained a good bit of knowledge of the functioning as well as judging many other peoples ARs against mine of different builds and configuration which led me to the issue of proper timing.
    In a nut shell I noticed that my brass is being thrown forward at 1-2 o'clock rather then the ideal 3-4 o'clock position and my recoil is a bit harsher then some of the other mid lengths in my configuration. I also noticed that the inner corner closest to the ejection port of my brass deflector was taking all off the abuse rather then the body of the deflector.

So after gaining a better understanding I came to the conclusion that I'm over gassed because of an out of spec gas port on the barrel but then I read on some other forums that some of the other Spikes and BCMs that are using the same buffer was exhibiting the same feature and the rational by some is so when you fire cheaper less hot ammo the gun will cycle. Needless to say that did not sit well with me so I ordered the heavy Spikes T3 buffer which I have yet to receive with the sliding weighs as some people said it corrected the issue.

I then taken a good look at various listed buffer weights.

PSA lower parts kit buffer --- 3 ounces
    Spikes ST-T1 ------- 3 ounces
    Spikes ST-T2 ------- 4.2 ounces
    Spikes ST-T3 ------- 5.4 ounces

Out of curiosity I weighed my PSA buffer and then decided to take out the Spikes T2 buffer from my rifle because Spikes said the weight can vary by .2 ounces, then I found the problem.

IMG_4254.jpg

Here is the PSA buffer that came with my lower build kit.

IMG_4253.jpg

I guess it varied + or - 1oz which is unacceptable and it might have been that the powder filled was intended for the T1.

I'm not worried and actually relieved that I found the problem which can be easily corrected with the right buffer however I did noticed from all my internet searches that some others using this buffer combo with the mid length have this issue and some don't and this could be the reason, so I thought that I should bring it to your attention.
    Some may say it's a not a concern if the gun is cycling with no issues and I beg to differ especially since it appears it was not the intention of the manufacture to supply an under weighted buffer.

Last edited:

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    I've seen a handful of terrible qc from spikes lately. I sold my t2 buffers and bought h and h2 buffers instead. Sold my nib bcg too. Hopefully they can get their act back together

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I've seen a handful of terrible qc from spikes lately. I sold my t2 buffers and bought h and h2 buffers instead. Sold my nib bcg too. Hopefully they can get their act back together

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

It looks like I'm going to make my own h2 buffer by combining the PSA steel weights with the Tungsten in the Spikes T3 buffer.

Except for this issue I'm not upset with Spikes build quality one bit as this can happen to any other manufacture that sub contracts parts and as a matter of fact BCM sells the T2 buffer so they are also left holding the bag just as much as Spikes is.

Now that I understand AR's better my next build will be my own from the ground up and tuned to my standards. It pains me to think there are many AR's out there that are not functioning ideally and could cause a potential problem down the road.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I use the stt2 in 2/4 of my rifles, and my gf uses it in hers. My newest build will have a h2 but i just bought it bc it was there and may be a tad different than the others with the stt2. My 2, ones a m4, others a 14.5 mid, and my gf's 16" mid all operate fine with the stt2 buffers. Brass flys away, usually 3-4 oclock. Those all 3 run spikes bcg's. The new rifle with the h2 has a bcm. So far ive had fine luck with the stt2.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Honestly most of my rifles I am running cheap, whatever came with the stock buffers. Never had a problem.

Now I have a T2 laying on my bench to be installed in my 7.62*39/5.45*39 rig which needs a little more weight.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    You can get tungsten powder from golf shops. It's used to weight the club.

http://www.greenskeeper.org/product..._supplies/golfsmith_tungsten_powder_12_pound/

I thought of that however the difference between the T1 and T2 powders are different as I think it's a ratio of tungsten power with something else. So filling one ounce more of unknown powder density into my buffer would take a way the effective volume of dead space the powder needs to moves to prevent bolt bounce.
    So in a nut shell It complicates trying to get it right.

Since the T3 buffer is being delivered Monday I decided to switch up the weights with my PSA buffer and make a combo that is closer to what the T2 is suppose to be. I will then remove the tungsten powder from the out of spec T2 and make another combo with the left over weighs if there is any.

So essentially I will have three modified buffers with varying weights and I may even make one that has a combination of weighs and power just to see what it does. My goal is to have this gun timed right taking into account stronger/weaker ammo and dirty gun variances.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Wouldn't a mid-length be timed similar to a standard 20" full length upper? So you would probably want a standard weight buffer?

Am I over thinking this? :crazy:

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I have three ST-T2 buffers.

Buffer #1 4.2oz Came with a fully assembled ST lower purchased in Aug 2011
    Buffer #2 4.2oz Came with a 16" Spikes M4LE upper purchased Oct 2011
    Buffer #3 4.1oz came with a Pistol buffer tube assembly purchased Feb/Mar 2012

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I have three ST-T2 buffers.

Buffer #1 4.2oz Came with a fully assembled ST lower purchased in Aug 2011
    Buffer #2 4.2oz Came with a 16" Spikes M4LE upper purchased Oct 2011
    Buffer #3 4.1oz came with a Pistol buffer tube assembly purchased Feb/Mar 2012

Thanks. :)

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I guess an update and happy ending. I have had this buffer for over a year and a half and decided to call Spikes to see what they can do for me. I spoke to Derick and received some of the best technical advise and customer service. Bottom line is that they will be sending me a UPS return label. I even told them to just fill the case with the right density powered and I would be happy but they insisted that they would be happy to send me a brand new one.

How is that for customer service which in my opinion is more then reasonable, flexible and they have earned my future business. Even if they said it's a wear and tear item and couldn't help me I would understand.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gotta love when a company stands by their lifetime warranty, even if some think their QC is slipping.

I run a small grass roots business and I understand the ethic behind customer service as well as case by case bases. Spikes philosophy is centered around their enthusiasm for the hobby as I had a wonderful conversation and it is if I was conversing with a new friend rather then some stuffed shirt. It leads me to believe that even if they are at fault they understand the customer and that is worth more to me then someone crunching numbers.

I'm sure many of the other competing manufactures stand behind their product but it's nice to know the decision I made to purchase Spikes was a good one.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    So who made the barrel? Is it a Spikes or BCM?

My barrel is a Spikes LE barrel with a mid-length gas port and it should be up to specification.

In regard to your other question, all I know is what I understand from the internet discussions that the mid-length recoil impulse is not significantly different then the Carbine then again there are many factors that can make it vary as in my case with a lighter buffer and shooting XM193 as it's clearly hotter.

My rifle was running well with no issues but in my opinion it was not optimal.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    The size of the gas port hole and the distance between the gas port and the muzzle would determine the volume of gas and the dwell time. Since the gas port to muzzle length on a mid length is basically the same as a rifle length, one would think the volume of gas and dwell time would be similar. I have a really cool chart on my laptop at home that shows the dwell time for each type of setup

For a mid tier manufacturer, I'm really happy with my Spike's setup. The (back then FREE) T2 buffer coupled with the PWS compensator really tame the typical carbine impulse. It would be great to be able to test out three or four different buffer weights at a single range session.

ecfd7504.jpg

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    The size of the gas port hole and the distance between the gas port and the muzzle would determine the volume of gas and the dwell time. Since the gas port to muzzle length on a mid length is basically the same as a rifle length, one would think the volume of gas and dwell time would be similar. I have a really cool chart on my laptop at home that shows the dwell time for each type of setup

For a mid tier manufacturer, I'm really happy with my Spike's setup. The (back then FREE) T2 buffer coupled with the PWS compensator really tame the typical carbine impulse. It would be great to be able to test out three or four different buffer weights at a single range session.

ecfd7504.jpg

Very nice gun. :thumbsup:

I think that one ounce deficit is a large enough to make that difference. I'm kind of happy that I discovered that my T2 buffer is under weighted instead of trying to correct for an over gassed condition.
    I now have the T3 buffer so I plan to use that to make my own custom buffer weight and see If I can tune it just right.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    My buddy and i weighed his t2 yesterday. 4.12oz the guy said give or take an ounce. Its also worth noting my buddy beat the hell out if it getting the buffer back together, so who knows how much material he took off the face haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom