Anything I should know about these M16A1 kits?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Eventually I'd like to have a couple more AR15s that resemble the actual M16 and M4 series rifles as closely as possible, I want an M16A1, an M16A2, and an M4A1 eventually, and with these A1 kits out there right now, I'm thinking I should go ahead and grab a kit and sit on it until I decide to build the rifle.

Right now I'm looking at these A1 kits on Apex:
    https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/products_id/1749

and wondering what exactly I'm looking at. I think I've already answered my first question myself; do these contain any full-auto parts that need to be destroyed or whatever, and it looks like the "disconnector" is missing from these, so I think were good on the NFA side of things. But, is there anything else I need to know about building a rifle from this kit which could get me in trouble down the road? Also, is this a good deal, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Also, how hard is it going to be to find a 20" barrel with the triangle hand guard caps? Apex sells a barrel, but it's NOT parkerized and would not look correct with what I want to do.

And once I find a barrel how hard is it going to be to install the barrel and gastube, etc? I've never done any work on an upper before. Would it be smart to send parts out to a smith and have it done right?

Or would I be better off buying just the buttstock, upper receiver, and handguards and hunting for the rest of the parts elsewhere? I know someone on mdshooters must have done exactly what I'm trying to do. I know that was a lot of questions, so take your pick ;) Thanks!

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Check out gunbroker, there are a few guys who sell original A1 complete uppers for the same price (minus bolt I think). I think that would be a cheaper route considering you want an orignal barrel and parkerizing look. Just a suggestion

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Check out gunbroker, there are a few guys who sell original A1 complete uppers for the same price (minus bolt I think). I think that would be a cheaper route considering you want an orignal barrel and parkerizing look. Just a suggestion

BCM has the barrel you want. I have the barrel without the parkerizing right now, but I plan to parkerize it later. The one I built came out great. It's a solid reliable shooter. Just buy a standard selector and disconnector and throw away any of the full auto selector/disconnector parts and you should be good to go. The full auto bolts are perfectly legal without the other go fast parts.

It didn't take me more than an hour to build it.

Mark

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    BCM has the barrel you want. I have the barrel without the parkerizing right now, but I plan to parkerize it later. The one I built came out great. It's a solid reliable shooter. Just buy a standard selector and disconnector and throw away any of the full auto selector/disconnector parts and you should be good to go. The full auto bolts are perfectly legal without the other go fast parts.

Mark

Just grind off the tail on the disconnector and the hook on the hammer and you should be good to go...slowly.:innocent0

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.

What about the triangle handguards? Included? And how about the buttstock? Can I get away with any old A2-style butt and no one will tell the difference? If I can save a buck I might go that route.

Mark

Good to know the barrel exists if I chose to buy the whole kit minus bbl/lower/disconnector. It wouldn't be the end of the world I guess if I had to send the barrel out to get parked; I wonder if there's anybody near me that does it. As for the selector/disconnector, I'd prolly put a whole new LPK in it and stash the old used parts in the "used parts" bin. Furthermore I'd eventually replace the BCG with a new one, likely a BCM.

Got pics of your finished project?

Just grind off the tail on the disconnector and the hook on the hammer and you should be good to go...slowly.:innocent0

lol. no thanks :)

Any other advice is welcomed. I know there's tons of people on here doing what I'm doing.

One other quick question, should I look for a certain make/model of lower to aim for a more authentic look, or is that just on M16 (not M16A1) clones?

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Also, I have a barrel wrench, but i've never used it, and I have all the punches I think, but I don't have upper/lower receiver vise blocks yet. I'm clueless about building an upper, I have no idea what I'm doing, but I've heard it isn't rocket science if you've got the right tools.

Am I kidding myself?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Also, I have a barrel wrench, but i've never used it, and I have all the punches I think, but I don't have upper/lower receiver vise blocks yet. I'm clueless about building an upper, I have no idea what I'm doing, but I've heard it isn't rocket science if you've got the right tools.

Am I kidding myself?

It's simple if it's been headspaced already... Mine came headspaced, so I didn't need to mess with it... It was a bolt and go affair. Hardest part was drilling the barrel pins for the front sight and making sure I was on target (not canted).

Mark

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    These are South American imported parts kits I believe. ATF import regs mean no barrels on parts kit. From the picture it appears come with all the full-auto parts with the exception of the disconnector. As other people pointed out you will either have to alter these parts or simply purchase new ones. Also, possession of these parts in conjunction with a semi auto rifle could constitute constructive possession of a machine gun.

Altering these parts could be more of a pain in the ass than simply buying new fire control parts as well. Parking should be available at many places and we park at our Thurmont location.

If you want "authentic" style lowers check out Nodak Spud. They make various period correct lowers, including old style AR-10 Sudanese AR uppers (the one with the charging handle under the carry handle).

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Ah yes the Nodak Spuds lowers were the ones I was thinking of. Good to know about having a local shop that can do parkerizing. I'm not far at all from Thurmont. How much would we be looking at if I go that route?

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Ah yes the Nodak Spuds lowers were the ones I was thinking of. Good to know about having a local shop that can do parkerizing. I'm not far at all from Thurmont. How much would we be looking at if I go that route?

Probably about $50 I think but I'll have to confirm that and let you know.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Probably about $50 I think but I'll have to confirm that and let you know.

Great thanks, lemme know. If I can't find a good deal on a complete A1 upper, and all I can find are un-parked barrels, then I might need to buy one and have it done. Unless markp meant BCM has them already parked. I'll have to search BCM's website and see what I can learn.

I had no idea this was going to turn into so many options. I figured there was just one simple easy way to go about it and that was that :rolleyes:

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Great thanks, lemme know. If I can't find a good deal on a complete A1 upper, and all I can find are un-parked barrels, then I might need to buy one and have it done. Unless markp meant BCM has them already parked. I'll have to search BCM's website and see what I can learn.

I had no idea this was going to turn into so many options. I figured there was just one simple easy way to go about it and that was that :rolleyes:

BCM has a parked 20 inch barrel for $229.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-20-Rifle-Length-Barrel-Stripped-p/bcm-brl-s-20 std.htm

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom