• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Any recommendations of who offers good quality left handed bolt carrier group in 223/556? Are the nickel boron bolt carrier better? Thank you for your help.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    RRomig,

Thank you for feed back regarding Stag's bcg. Sourcing left handed parts is more challenging than I thought. I also found Toolcraft also makes left handed bcg.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Hey guys had a question for you. I'm looking into getting/building my first AR. I'm still getting the laws down on what's legal and what's not. I wanted to just make sure I have it right.
    So AR-15'S chambered in 223/556 and operate on a DI system must have a hbar barrel (does this mean "heavy barrel"), otherwise it's banned in Maryland. If it is piston operated it doesn't need to have the hbar barrel.
    If it's chambered in any other caliber it's legal as long as it isn't DI operated.
    Am I correct on this? Just trying to make sure I have it correct before I go buying anything

You’re 90% correct. AR’s chambered in other calibers besides .223/5.56 may be DI, there is no law against that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    I decided to go with Stag's left hand nickel boron bolt carrier group since it was on sale for $129

Figure if it doesn't work out, can go back and try the nitride or phosphide one.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Need some barrel input to keep me Maryland legal/compliant for my 223/556 build.

What I would like to find if possible: 16" midgas, 1:8 or 1:7 twist, prefer wylde chamber but 556 is also acceptable.

Thank you for your help!

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I decided to go with Stag's left hand nickel boron bolt carrier group since it was on sale for $129

Figure if it doesn't work out, can go back and try the nitride or phosphide one.
    Usually the concern is coatings is how they did it and did they take the thickness of the coating into account when the BCG was manufacturered. You will see bolt lugs that won't close or open due to tight tolerances, rough surfaces in the gas ring channel, gas keys sitting too high because of the gas key being added after the coating. As long as you go in understanding that coatings like NiB can cause issues you at least know here to look when issues arise.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

schnauzr

Bark Bark!
    Jun 6, 2016
    MoCo
    Second criterion. Most, if not all of their barrels are .223 Wylde.

Trust me when I say this... Call them. Ask them how to order an HBAR that qualifies in MD. IYKYK

Their CS is very good. The folks who answer the phone are true SME's on the platform. You aren't getting some random call center employee.
    Good call. Also if buying direct from Criterion they can sell a headspaced BCM bolt with it.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Good call. Also if buying direct from Criterion they can sell a headspaced BCM bolt with it.
    Buying from them with a headspaced bolt is worth it, if you don't already have the guages. Criterion uses really tight dimensions, I have found, so you may be more likely to have an improperly headspaced bolt than with other barrels. YMMV

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Thank you to those who replied! Hope Stag Arms nickel boron is decent as I wasn't aware of issues with the way they're coat.

Yes, those Criterion barrels caught my attention but also noticed they're out of stock. I seen Aero Precision has 16" HBAR mid gas barrel as well but don't how good they are as they're significantly cheaper than Criterion barrels.

I noticed some manufacturer said their barrel were left handed? I thought that didn't matter with AR barrel?

Debating whether it's worth waiting for the Criterion barrels to become available? I discovered that they're closed on Fridays so will give them a call next week

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Thank you to those who replied! Hope Stag Arms nickel boron is decent as I wasn't aware of issues with the way they're coat.

Yes, those Criterion barrels caught my attention but also noticed they're out of stock. I seen Aero Precision has 16" HBAR mid gas barrel as well but don't how good they are as they're significantly cheaper than Criterion barrels.

I noticed some manufacturer said their barrel were left handed? I thought that didn't matter with AR barrel?

Debating whether it's worth waiting for the Criterion barrels to become available? I discovered that they're closed on Fridays so will give them a call next week
    Ballistic Advantage now has HBAR marked barrels as well. Good value.

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    Precision Firearms over in Falling Waters WV also makes HBAR barrels for us Maryland folks. I quite like them but I have never shot one of their barrels.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Thank you all for your help in my first AR-15 build! Think it turned out pretty nice for my first attempt!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom