Calvert County
    My home defense guns:
    IMG_3803.jpeg

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    A AR is a better offensive weapon
    But close quarters, attacked from behind in a hallway, the man armed with a AR even sbr loses.
    A handgun takes s twist of the wrist and 8 inched max to point n fire.
    Aint happening with AR variant
    Common sense in clearing a house prevents people from appearing behind you. Your argument is flawed on so many levels. Even Stevie Wonder can see every flaw in your argument.

rnj66

Mar 2, 2024
    Grantsville md
    Common sense in clearing a house prevents people from appearing behind you. Your argument is flawed on so many levels. Even Stevie Wonder can see every flaw in your argument.
    "Home Defense "
    We aren't talking breaching doors in Iraq on the "offensive ".
    Mayb you could learn from your own flaws that you mention?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    "Home Defense "
    We aren't talking breaching doors in Iraq on the "offensive ".
    Mayb you could learn from your own flaws that you mention?
    Me thinks you can't see beyond your own bias. But you do you.

I never said anything about Iraq. You did. If that is an attempt to dismiss what I said, then you most definitely failed. A SBR can actually be a better HD platform than a pistol. You claim 3 feet in front of you, yet a fully extended AR is 34 inches. Collapsed, it is about 29 inches. A SBR at 29 inches with the stock fully extended is about 24 inches long with the stock collapsed. But when you take into account the position of the stovk in contact with the body, you're looking at 18-20 inches exposed in front of you. 24 inches over all length is pretty compact, but then again, you can't see that because you won't listen to other viewpoints.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Biggest concern about AR style weapons.
    From 400 to 4000 dollars
    They all go BANG. Over n over n over..
    For home defence?
    They're unwieldy, can't really ",hide" them.
    Don't fit in your nightstand or under your pillow.
    So personally there are many many better options for thst purpose
    You serious Clark?
    boo frosh.jpg

Seems like you'd benefit from some good training.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    The venerable AR15 is the grown man's Barbie doll. You can dress it/customize it any way you want.
    I like the analysis...interesting but I like

It is what it is...

I'll take the MP5, and be done..Sig 365 and finish..

Some heated discussions on here lately..
    Popcorn time. And some Twisted Tea.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Capture.JPG

(sorry, your post just brought the meme out of me...) :)

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    I'll be on my way as soon as I load 10 cases of Yuengling into the truck.

Want me to bring Old Bay or J.O. Spice for the popcorn?
    10 cases, couple bottles of GM, take the rest of the day, week off...Either ..or...partial to Ole Bay..but it dont matter.

Some of these threads go off topjc in a instance ( just like this one now, me ) just sit back and read some of them, and laugh, grown adults at least age wise.
    Just in general..not directed to any one person.
    I don't care what you use for defense, I don't care what your everyday carry is, I don't care if you spend $300 or $10,000 on your handgun. Everyone has their idea of "something" some well taken others ..well..
    Bottom line is when that time comes, that will tell the story.
    Build a 1911 or buy a 1911, buy a low end 1911 and change it for your wants / needs, or buy a custom 1911 that you check the box build.

AR's, you can do all kinds of things to em, paint em, "bling em", find more ways to hang crap off em, all over em, bottom line its still a AR.

Like a Pinto, drop in a 302, roll cage, new rear, Trans, tub it, paint it .. its still a Pinto. May sound good, may look good and fast, but its still a Pinto, same can be said with a Vega.

So to the AR *OP* question
    Building well its not really building all your doing is basically assembling ( we can debate this in another topic )
    Several things to take into consideration, is how far these 2 rounds will go through your living quarters, children, where they are, etc.these days "cracker box house" walls won't stop bullets, even other older houses for that matter. The 5.56 would probably be an all around choice for short or semi distance. If your looking for just one option. The 9mm in home, you can assemble various length 9mm AR'S staying within the Fed's guidelines (SBR the lower like mentioned). Plus if you have a handgun in 9mm, you now have 2 possible protection means. Either ...or...
    So the decision is assemble or buy, they ain't that hard to assemble, find soneone, either watch them, there are tons of videos out there. Find some one who will let you shoot various different ones.. and go from there
    No expert, don't even claim to be, don't wanna be.

Prefer the MP5 ( built from parts kit ) or a clone..

Anyway Popcorn, seasoning, adult beverages sounds great. Start a U-tube channel of it.

Back on topjc... wheres the Water Cooler when you need it
    Still think a sub-forum needs to be created for "Rants n Rages" 50 posts or better
    let the "quotes" and such begin.

Now..Where's that "seasoned popcorn and adult beverages "

-Rock

Last edited:

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I see what he is saying. You can shoot behind you movie style much easier with a pistol than an Ar varient. Think John Wick. But if you start clearing in your bedroom then you may not need that option, an Ar would work too. It all depends.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I’d go with the Zion over Hanover built AR’s as Ski Patrol Dude said.
    I’d also take an AR over the PCC first.
    Later if you like, get the PCC for fun.
    I keep a couple HG’s accessible for HD.
    LG’s for recreation, and social needs locked up til needed. I don’t have kids in the house anymore. :)

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    One thing I'll add; I don't like 5.56 in barrels under 11.5"; a waste of unburned powder and the effectiveness of the rounds starts to suffer IMHO. The military went from 10.5" to 11.5" in 5.56 commando rifles for a reason. Now 300 Blackout - different story.

[EDIT] And 300 Blackout in with an 8 or 9" barrel and a can as a pistol - might be just the thing for HD and/or range toy.

Last edited:

rnj66

Mar 2, 2024
    Grantsville md
    I see what he is saying. You can shoot behind you movie style much easier with a pistol than an Ar varient. Think John Wick. But if you start clearing in your bedroom then you may not need that option, an Ar would work too. It all depends.
    I think some people are severely confused.
    Home defense, will typically not be "you'll clear the room "
    Noooo
    It's you'll be asleep. Caught off guard, mayb hear a noise n wake up and go look to see what you heard. And whoever is in your home blind sides you from a doorway as you head dazed half asleep .
    And WON'T have room to swing a AR around

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I think some people are severely confused.
    Home defense, will typically not be "you'll clear the room "
    Noooo
    It's you'll be asleep. Caught off guard, mayb hear a noise n wake up and go look to see what you heard. And whoever is in your home blind sides you from a doorway as you head dazed half asleep .
    And WON'T have room to swing a AR around
    I’ll disagree. I’ll reach for a suppressed SBR in 5.56 in the event there is an intruder. It’s a better offensive round. Plus there are the pretty lights I’ve trained with for a while. Muscle memory for light and/or laser if needed. We have a plan in our house. It doesn’t involve walking past doors. Better

You will most definitely not be half asleep if you realize someone is in your home. You’ll be wide awake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom