• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • burns

Aug 30, 2008
    Good day everyone,

I just moved to MD recently and I was wanting to know whether or not I can legally hunt deer here with .223, and if it is advisable to do so (I'm a hunting noob). What about surrounding states? What about with 6.8 SPC (upper M4 swap)? I don't own any hunting rifles, so an M4 is my closest bet.

Thanks,
    Burns

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    i think the legal minimum caliber in maryland is .243 but don't quote me on that one.

how ever, 6.8SPC should be good to go.

burns

Aug 30, 2008
    Is there a magazine capacity limit for hunting in MD, or barrel length or anything else?

mch28

Sep 20, 2007
    No caliber restriction. Just needs to generate 1,200 lbs at the muzzle. Even a .22-250 does that.

Regulations copied from DNR site:

It is unlawful to hunt with an automatic firearm capable of firing a series of shots with one continuous pull of the trigger.

Rifles used for deer and bear hunting must use ammunition developing a muzzle energy of at least 1,200 foot pounds.

Firearms used for deer and bear hunting may not have an ammunition clip loaded with more than 8 cartridges or bullets. If a clip has the capacity to hold more than 8 rounds, the clip does not have to be physically blocked, but no more than 8 cartridges or bullets may be loaded.

Rifles may be used to hunt forest game (except turkey during the spring season), upland game (except dove and woodcock), crow, nutria, woodchuck and certain furbearing species.

It is only lawful to hunt with ammunition of soft point (expanding) construction. All military, full metal jacketed, incendiary or tracer bullets are prohibited.

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    Rifle Regulations

It is unlawful to hunt with an automatic firearm capable of firing a series of shots with one continuous pull of the trigger.

Rifles used for deer and bear hunting must use ammunition developing a muzzle energy of at least 1,200 foot pounds.

Firearms used for deer and bear hunting may not have an ammunition clip loaded with more than 8 cartridges or bullets. If a clip has the capacity to hold more than 8 rounds, the clip does not have to be physically blocked, but no more than 8 cartridges or bullets may be loaded.

Rifles may be used to hunt forest game (except turkey during the spring season), upland game (except dove and woodcock), crow, nutria, woodchuck and certain furbearing species.

It is only lawful to hunt with ammunition of soft point (expanding) construction. All military, full metal jacketed, incendiary or tracer bullets are prohibited.

Breech-loading rifles may not be used to hunt deer in Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Calvert, Caroline, Charles, Frederick (in that portion of Frederick County lying south of a line beginning at the Washington/Frederick County line at US Rt. 40 and continuing on Rt. 40 east to Harmony Road, proceeding south on Harmony Road to I-70, following I-70 east through Frederick County), Harford, Howard, Kent, Montgomery, Prince George’s, Queen Anne’s, St. Mary’s and Talbot Counties or in Worcester County as follows: (1) within one mile of any school, (2) within that portion of South Point lying south of a line beginning at the west end of the Sinepuxent Bay Bridge on State Rt. 611, then by and with the south side of Rt. 611 to the junction of the South Point Road going south for a distance of .6 miles to a point opposite the southern boundary of the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club property on the west side of the road, then by the southern boundary of the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club to Trappe Creek and (3) within that portion of the land lying south of a line beginning at the mouth of the St. Martin River northwest to the junction with Shingle Landing Road, then by and with the south side of Shingle Landing Road to the junction with State Rt. 113, then by and with the east side of Rt. 113 to the junction with Rt. 589, then by and with the east side of Rt. 589 to the junction with US Rt. 50, then by and with the north side of Rt. 50 to the junction with Assawoman Bay, then by and with the west boundary of Assawoman Bay to the junction with the St. Martin River.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/weapon.asp

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Burns, at one point I had this same question. It was suggested that I take a look at the 6.5, I think you will find that you might like that round even better for hunting deer.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I've been thinking about a 6.8 build for a 16" pig rifle (I'm looking foward to some time down south shooting pigs). I want something that has a little more punch to get through the tough hide and bone on some of the wild pigs.

I'm sure the 75 and 77 grain loads for the 223 will work just fine as well, but I'm all about building something I don't have!

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I've been thinking about a 6.8 build for a 16" pig rifle (I'm looking foward to some time down south shooting pigs). I want something that has a little more punch to get through the tough hide and bone on some of the wild pigs.

I'm sure the 75 and 77 grain loads for the 223 will work just fine as well, but I'm all about building something I don't have!

Last time I checked- you already own an M1A.......oh wait, you need an excuse to buy/build another gun- sorry, I get it now. :innocent0

Nick29

MD expat
    Jan 17, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    No caliber restriction. Just needs to generate 1,200 lbs at the muzzle. Even a .22-250 does that.

Regulations copied from DNR site:

I just looked this up myself and was surprised. I could have sworn in previous years that the regulations specified .243 or larger caliber and not muzzle energy. Did it change this year, or am I illiterate? I'm pretty much certain that the "common wisdom" for as long as I've been hunting (~10 years) was that .223 wasn't allowed in MD. I was thinking I wouldn't go hunting this year, since my usual deer gun is out of commission. But I might have to give my iron sighted AR a try.

What commercial .223 ammo would you guys recommend for deer? fwiw, the gun is a 16" RRA midlength with the SS 1:8 twist barrel.

white rabbitt

Feb 27, 2013
    re: Firearm/Ammo

WHat about on one's personal property ? I know that one does not need a license to hunt deer on their own property but what about type of firearm and ammo ?

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I would go 6.8 if you want to hunt deer. If for whatever reason you decide to use 223 watch your barrell length! A load making 1200ft lbs in a 24" tube very quickly falls below minimum ft lbs in shorter barrells and if you come across Dnr who knows how they will interpret it.

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    WHat about on one's personal property ? I know that one does not need a license to hunt deer on their own property but what about type of firearm and ammo ?

You do need a license to hunt on your own property, however, it is free. Just go to any place that sells hunting licenses and ask for a license to hunt on your own property. There is no requirement to have taken a hunter's safety training course if you go that route, however, it is strongly advised if you are a relatively new shooter. The property owner, spouse and children are the only ones that may hunt on said land without having taken the hunter's safety training course.

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    Good day everyone,

I just moved to MD recently and I was wanting to know whether or not I can legally hunt deer here with .223, and if it is advisable to do so (I'm a hunting noob). What about surrounding states? What about with 6.8 SPC (upper M4 swap)? I don't own any hunting rifles, so an M4 is my closest bet.

Thanks,
    Burns

Of the two calibers you mentioned, I would definitely go with the 6.8 over the .223. If you do not already have the 6.8 upper, might you consider the .300 Blackout?

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    6.8 would be the better option but they are both legal in md. there is a round limit you can have in your weapon so keep that in mind. i beleive its 10 but you dont need a plug or anything if you use a 20,just put 10 in.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    You do need a license to hunt on your own property, however, it is free. Just go to any place that sells hunting licenses and ask for a license to hunt on your own property. There is no requirement to have taken a hunter's safety training course if you go that route, however, it is strongly advised if you are a relatively new shooter. The property owner, spouse and children are the only ones that may hunt on said land without having taken the hunter's safety training course.

Um... no you don't..

Check dnrs website and read "who may hunt without a license".

Only if you hunting migratory birds etc. On your property then you still need license and stamps.

For deer. You only need free DNRid number and big game harvest record so when you check in the game (not a license)

white rabbitt

Feb 27, 2013
    Um... no you don't..

Check dnrs website and read "who may hunt without a license".

Only if you hunting migratory birds etc. On your property then you still need license and stamps.

For deer. You only need free DNRid number and big game harvest record so when you check in the game (not a license)

What about the type of gun(s) and ammo one may use if hunting on their own property ? ANy restrictions ? Do the State's restriction for such apply ?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    What about the type of gun(s) and ammo one may use if hunting on their own property ? ANy restrictions ? Do the State's restriction for such apply ?

Already mentioned previously.

You still need to follow the rules on which firearm to use in your area.. private or not especially deer hunting.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    As others have said, the .223 IS legal (in 'rifle' counties!), as long as the round develops 1,200 fpe.

As stated in one of the quotes (above), 8 rounds is the maximum amount that you can have in the firearm, at any one time.
    (You can have a 20 round magazine in place, but, no more than a total of 8 rounds in the firearm!)

Personally....... the .223 is "not enough" for deer. Again, this is just my NSHO.

YMMV.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    As others have said, the .223 IS legal (in 'rifle' counties!), as long as the round develops 1,200 fpe.

As stated in one of the quotes (above), 8 rounds is the maximum amount that you can have in the firearm, at any one time.
    (You can have a 20 round magazine in place, but, no more than a total of 8 rounds in the firearm!)

Personally....... the .223 is "not enough" for deer. Again, this is just my NSHO.

YMMV.

Only legal in certain areas of the state where you can hunt with rifles.

Just want to add..;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom