AR front sight (flared orange, red, etc)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bm3r

Mar 25, 2013
    Hey everyone,

Im not having any luck finding a front sight that is a flared orange or red for my ar.

The troy tritium front folding sight is the closest I could find - although no flare

Looking for something along the lines of the trijicon hd orange fronts (similar setup on pistols)

Thanks!

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I painted my front sight post hot pink, but it made little to no difference. If you're trying to go faster, a red dot optic is the way to go.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Just an FYI. While a Trijicon big dot front sight is nice for up-close defensive work with a pistol, it sucks as an AR-15 front post. It will cover your sight picture and have minute-of-barn door accuracy.

If you want a tritium front post, the Meprolight one is excellent.
    http://www.amazon.com/Meprolight-AR-15-M-16A1-Tru-Dot-Sight/dp/B0002INGN8

You don't need a special front sight assembly for a colored post. Replacement posts are dirt cheap for any front assembly that uses a standard post. Paint the posts whatever color you want. Just tape off the thread. Use primer and a white base coat for the best results. Any decent spray paint will do the job (Krylon, Duplicolor, etc).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Please explain your intended meaning of "Flared" ?

Literally , I thought of tapered. From the context , it seems some sort of enhanced visability ?Bright colored ? Fiber Optic ? Tritium ?

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Please explain your intended meaning of "Flared" ?

Literally , I thought of tapered. From the context , it seems some sort of enhanced visability ?Bright colored ? Fiber Optic ? Tritium ?

I think he means big dot front sights that have the orange or red outline instead of white. I'll venture to guess he hasn't tried using a big dot sight on a rifle. Kind of defeats the purpose.

bm3r

Mar 25, 2013
    I think he means big dot front sights that have the orange or red outline instead of white. I'll venture to guess he hasn't tried using a big dot sight on a rifle. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Yes exactly. Ive tried the magpul moe, magpul mbus, and troy hk folding so far.

I was hoping the ar would be similar to my trijicon hd's for ease of pickup seeing the "flared" orange up front

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Trijicon sells the standard dot and big bot as an AR-15 front post, but only with the white border. If you're careful, you can paint the border any color you want.

The bad news is that either front post is huge (way too wide). Might work for home defense at point blank distance but otherwise awful as a rifle front sight.

bm3r

Mar 25, 2013
    Trijicon sells the standard dot and big bot as an AR-15 front post, but only with the white border. If you're careful, you can paint the border any color you want.

The bad news is that either front post is huge (way too wide). Might work for home defense at point blank distance but otherwise awful as a rifle front sight.

Darn, do you have a link to the trijicon?

Meprolight is better. It's as thin as or thinner than a standard front post and very visible at night. I own several.

Good to hear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom