• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    When I filled out the paperwork for my lower, I forgot to mention it was being built into a AR pistol. I thought remembered reading that the lowers need to be transferred as "other" to build into a pistol.

So I went to the FFL today and asked them if we did the paperwork wrong, and I was told that you don't need to transfer it a special way, it just gets transferred as a "lower", not a rifle or pistol. And I can build it into whatever configuration the laws allow for

Does this sound right? Everywhere I look I see people saying it needs to be transferred as "Other". I'm completely new to this so bear with me if it's a dumb question

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    We'll I'm assuming it's not transferred as a rifle because he told me "it's not a rifle, it's just a lower receiver"

Fingers crossed its transferred right

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They SHOULD be O on the 77R. But some FFLs have transferred them as X or other rifle codes.

I just checked the back of the 77R.

A - Automatic
    S - Semi automatic
    R - Revolver
    X - Assault Weapon (just the term THEY use)
    O - Other

But it seems I own at least two Automatic (not SEMI Automatic) pistols, as they were transferred as type A. :)

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Yep - check your 4473 and see what it was marked as.

Last edited:

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    They SHOULD be O on the 77R. But some FFLs have transferred them as X or other rifle codes.

I just checked the back of the 77R.

A - Automatic
    S - Semi automatic
    R - Revolver
    X - Assault Weapon (just the term THEY use)
    O - Other

But it seems I own at least two Automatic (not SEMI Automatic) pistols, as they were transferred as type A. :)

S does not get input into msp's system correctly, you are supposed to use A.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    So out of all those types it could be transferred as, what would make it illegal to build the lower into a pistol?

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Nothing. Incorrectly checking a box does not change the classification of a firearm.
    +1.

And in this ATF letter, it sates a never barreled rifle lower is okay to build as a pistol.

tube.JPG

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Okay. I was just confused because everywhere I read people were saying it needed to be marked as "other" on the forms

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    O for Other IS also a choice on the 77R. The 77R for my lowers says Type - O.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Last sentence of the second paragraph of the ATF letter.

Also, when picking up or purchasing your receivers, make certain that your dealer does not describe them as "rifles" on ATF Form 4473.

This implies, in the context of the letter, that a receiver transfered as a rifle would not be legal to build into a pistol.

fogman

Last sentence of the second paragraph of the ATF letter.

This implies, in the context of the letter, that a receiver transfered as a rifle would not be legal to build into a pistol.

On the Federal 4473 mine are transferred as a receiver. The last paragraph states as long as they are not referred as a rifle on the 4473 then they can be built into a pistol. The state gets into listing them as a X Assault Weapon on the 77R.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    But the BATFE would not reference how they were transfered on a 77R, as they have nothing to do with them

But are you willing to bet your 2A rights and your freedom (prison) on the BATFE NOT paying attention to the 77R? Remember, these are the same people that will take your refile, muck with it, and if it doubles, will charge you with possessing an illegal machine gun.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It shouldn't have been left blank.

I would call MSP and see what they have in their system as the type for that 77R.

Or not, up to you how much risk you are willing to take.

Mine were Type O = Other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom