• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    I want to get a Timney Skeleton trigger for my AR 15 (spikes zombie lower)
    how do I know what Pin size it is?

Small or Large?

Also is there really a big difference between 3 pound, 4 pound and 4.5 pound trigger in a Non competition atmosphere?

Ironsighter

It's "Citizen," not "Civilian"
    May 10, 2011
    Down South
    Pretty much everything today is small pin, 0.154 diameter. Some older Colts were big pin, 0.170 pin diameter I believe.

I don't know if you'll notice the difference in a non-match configuration between the poundages you suggest. Probably not. A service-rifle-legal match trigger has to be 4.5 lb.

The other important thing to know is whether it is a 2-stage trigger. I like them on my rifles because I like the initial take-up travel/pull, followed by the second stage's nice, crisp release.

For your purposes, a small-pin trigger in the 4.5 lb range, preferably a 2-stage, is what I'd get. Stand by for a bunch of other opinions.

An AR FAQ may help too:
    http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?page_id=96

Ironsighter

It's "Citizen," not "Civilian"
    May 10, 2011
    Down South
    For a non-match gun, just curious as to why you need a precision, 4 lb skeletonized trigger. $275 is a lot of shekels to make an AR go "bang" when something more modest will do.

But if you're tricking out something to make it all your own style, then by all means. It's what makes the Lego Gun fun.

I run one of these in one of my machines that I use for service rifle:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...ar-15-m16-ar-style-ssa-trigger-prod31960.aspx

It's not a great looking trigger, but it makes things go bang every time with good precision.

The great thing is all the choices! Enjoy.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I can confirm that Spikes lowers are small pin. I installed a Geissele in mine and got the one with the small pins.

I have the SSA-E 2 stage which is nice but I kind of miss my old PSA single stage which I polished that had a 41/2 pound pull using the JP enhanced springs.
    Lighter is not always better and I think there is a such thing as just right depending on personal preference.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Maui - Buy once cry once.

Look at Geissele. I also have the SSA-E - (IIRC) it's 2.1# on the first stage, 1.2# on the second stage, it is a very nice trigger and has been unflinchingly reliable for over 8k rounds - from surplus, to cheap russian, to handloads. It just works.

If I was closer, I'd offer to let you try it out and see what you think, but Harford is a bit of a drive for me.

Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    Maui - Buy once cry once.

Look at Geissele. I also have the SSA-E - (IIRC) it's 2.1# on the first stage, 1.2# on the second stage, it is a very nice trigger and has been unflinchingly reliable for over 8k rounds - from surplus, to cheap russian, to handloads. It just works.

If I was closer, I'd offer to let you try it out and see what you think, but Harford is a bit of a drive for me.

I was thinking about that model for my AR10 but wonder if it may be to light. :confused:

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    I was thinking about that model for my AR10 but wonder if it may be to light. :confused:

I'd probably suggest the standard SSA for 308 to always get consistent primer strikes. That's not to say you would have a problem with the SSA-E, but it would be more likely. Timney recommends the 4LB for AR10.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA

geisselle's definitely are not too light, the wind or anything else ain't setting them off. keep you finger out of the trigger guard til you're ready to shoot and you will be just fine.

i'm sure really good shooters can get good accuracy with heavy triggers, but i need a light, smooth trigger to get decent accuracy and the geisselle has worked for me. also the two stage armalite trigger that came in my m15a4T.

Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    geisselle's definitely are not too light, the wind or anything else ain't setting them off. keep you finger out of the trigger guard til you're ready to shoot and you will be just fine.

i'm sure really good shooters can get good accuracy with heavy triggers, but i need a light, smooth trigger to get decent accuracy and the geisselle has worked for me. also the two stage armalite trigger that came in my m15a4T.

I just like a crisp break with no long travel . How ever you describe it:confused:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have the Timney 4# trigger on my 6.8 SPR. I've used it several times in 3-Gun competitions. Ranges from 10 yards to 500 yards. I prefer a single-stage trigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom