• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I'm not a devotee of any particular action, as I have bolt guns, AK's, AR's, and a bunch of other stuff... but it was really very humbling to take out a bunch of never fired guns and have all the AK's fail to cycle properly and ever single one of the AR's work correctly. For what it's worth I have an RPK that is super-reliable... so I don't have bad luck with all AK's!

Now, I know that once tuned up the AK's will be reliable weapons, but that friday, it said a whole bunch about the reliability of the AR platform, I was impressed.

Two of the rifles I build from scratch, the AK-74 and the Vietnam era AR (surplus Colt kit from Sportsmans Guide.) The others were pre-built one MAADI AK-47 and one other AK-47, the AR's were Model 1 (24" varmint, 11" pistol), S&W AR in 5.45x39, Deltron 16", and my SBR in 7.5". Lowers included RRA, TM, and DPMS.

Mark

TurboHeloDriver

Constitutional Patriot
    Sep 23, 2009
    Waynesboro, VA
    I have an old-school Colt AR-15 SP-1. Made in the 1970's I believe. I have put a few thousand rounds through it over the years. I clean it after every range trip. It has never jammed, mis-fed, or had any type of failure. It eats whatever ammo I put in it (.223 or 5.56mm) with no problem. DI guns do get dirty, but properly maintained, they are very reliable.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    i have an older bushmaster ar-15, I've had it since the early 90's. I've abused it and not cleaned it and it still always goes bang with whatever i feed it. I've put prob 3000 + rounds threw it without a single failure so far.

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    I have an Olympic Arms 7.62x39 AR, and while it jammed sometimes and had a few failure to feeds at first, after it got broken in it works great. Even with the cheap and dirty steel case Russian ammo it doesn't jam. It does get dirty quickly though, but I clean it after shooting every time.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    After twenty years of qualifying in the Army with the colt M16 based rifle. I cannot remember mine ever jamming. Double feeding or extracting.
    That AR based platform is one weapon the gives confidence.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Mike Pannone is one of those EF Hutton-type guys, when he talks it is worth listening. Be careful with Defense Review though, the quality of content varies. Good article from a great shooter and trainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom