AR15 trigger/hammer install - What am I doing wrong!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    This is not the first LPK I've installed, and I've had this trigger in another gun and I don't remember it doing this before. The hammer and trigger are leftovers from a CMMG lower parts kits I bought awhile back, then switched the trigger out for a Rock River. The rest of the LPK I'm installing are from a RRA LPK, but I don't think any of these parts I'm talking about are from that kit. Everything here in the fire control group should be CMMG, but I remember when this trigger was in another gun, I remember testing the function of the trigger and hammer and I don't remember it doing this.

What's happening is when the disconnector engages the hammer when I hold the trigger back in the pulled position and cock the trigger down onto it to simulate the gun cycling and to test the hammer/disconnector relationship.

The hammer is really hard to press down onto the disconnector, taking about twice as much force as normal to click down, and when it does click into place I can feel the trigger move forward slightly, which means there will be some trigger slap when fired! The bolt will also likely be harder to pull back, which I'm afraid might even lead to some short stroking.

I've never had this problem before. I've taken the trigger and hammer back out and reinstalled and it's doing the same thing. What the heck am I doing wrong?

I figured some of you tinkerer types must have encountered this at some point in time and might know what I've done wrong. If it helps any, the other gun with the RRA trigger and the CMMG parts kit in it has always been single stage instead of 2-stage like it's advertised as. Maybe it's possible I've swapped some part accidentally between the RRA and CMMG parts kits and these two problems are related? I'm pretty sure the other gun is all CMMG except the trigger and hammer parts, while this new build is all RRA parts except the trigger/hammer parts. I don't think I swapped anything else, such as a disconnector, but I could be wrong (I have been wrong before lol).

Any ideas? Suggestions? Thanks!

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Nevermind. I fingered it out. I'm such an r-tard sometimes...

I realized that the trigger was sitting too high because the selector isn't installed yet, so I put the selector in, which of course only allows the trigger to move just as much as needed. With the selector in place the disconnector is working like it's supposed to.

Ignore me. I'm just a n00b. I've only done a couple of these. Now all the guys coming to my lower build party are going to cancel on me after reading this lol! :D

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    dude, if i could count the number of times i've asked the boss a question like this about some exotic weapon, i'd be ashamed.

Even with stuff we've done before we all get brain farts sometimes.

Bottom line is its in and it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom