are ar lowers banned after Oct 1st in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    My understanding is a stripped lower is considered an other by atf because it could become a pistol or rifle.by that definition a dealer can not sell a stripped lower to resident of a different state without it going to there ffl in there home state because it could be made a pistol. Theoretically in md a stripped Lower could be cash and carry come10/1/13 but doubtful since it could be made into a pistol. Here is a thought to ponder,could u take an hbar upper and install it to a complete lower at the fflo and just do a 4473 and carry it out the door and return and do it again? Would like to hear from other ffls on here,my dealer and I have discussed this and I'm curious what say some other folks.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    so..............exactly where are you buying them?:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: ?? Really? Well, since you are so doubtful that they exist, let me lead you to the promised land(s).

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/lower-receivers/psa-ar15-lower.html

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-amp-action-parts/receivers/lower-receivers/ar-15-stripped-lower-receiver-prod54336.aspx

JoBob has poly for as low as $54.95
    http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/AR_15_Lower_Receivers_s/3021.htm

Buy in to the "non existent" AR lower" hype, or just buy an AR lower. Whatever...

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Ahem...brand new shipment of Detroit Gun Works upper/lower sets in (no .308 yet, sorry) and we are now an Aero Precision Dealer....just sayin.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I also was wondering about what will happen to dealers and manufacturers in MD. For someone like adcor defense out of baltimore will they have to stop manufacturing AR's or move out of state? Also for dealers with their remaining stock will they have to sell out of state?

Any FFL who is not already an 07-FFL/02-SOT needs to change his license ASAP.

They bent over backwards to try to keep Beretta, LWRC etc, but the unintended consequence is all us smaller manufacturers were exempted for many parts of the bill as well.:thumbsup:

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    What about 80% lowers? If you complete the lower prior to October 1, then the rest is just "assembly" right?

Goddamn these politicians, this is getting too crazy!:mad54:

That is the point entirely. If they make laws so confusing that even honest people inadvertently violate them then they succeed in making us all criminals subject to THEIR MERCY.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    That is the point entirely. If they make laws so confusing that even honest people inadvertently violate them then they succeed in making us all criminals subject to THEIR MERCY.

I'm hoping that just the right court case will undo this mess the politicians have created. I'm probably dreamin'...

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    In my mind, and IANAL, but what would be illegal about building an HBAR from the ground up? What about a 22lr AR? The 22 can't be construed a copy because the BCG and barrel aren't interchangeable, right? And in ERWOS' fantastic FAQ, it says that AR pistols aren't mentioned (the language talks of rifles). That being said, shouldn't it beak to build an AR pistol? The only thing illegal to build would be a 5.56 AR15 without an HBAR, if I'm reading it right. But again, IANAL. I wish MSI or a Pro Gun politician, or someone could get an answer.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    i been here a while. how about you?
    this is something that needs to be addressed now. in case you havent noticed, we're on the edge of a critical turning point in where we will be going as MD citizens and gun owners.

It has been addressed as best as it can be by those that are here (including myself). Since none of us are in the GA, or the MD SA'a office, no one, and I mean NO ONE, can give a deffinitive answer on this issue until, a) COMAR is updated, b) Oct 1 rolls around and MSP makes a determination how they will be treated.

Anything else, by anyone on this site is pure conjecture, guessing and voodoo.

If you want a real answer, send and e-mail to your State Senator or Delegate and demand they get a verification from the AG.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    In my mind, and IANAL, but what would be illegal about building an HBAR from the ground up? What about a 22lr AR? The 22 can't be construed a copy because the BCG and barrel aren't interchangeable, right? And in ERWOS' fantastic FAQ, it says that AR pistols aren't mentioned (the language talks of rifles). That being said, shouldn't it beak to build an AR pistol? The only thing illegal to build would be a 5.56 AR15 without an HBAR, if I'm reading it right. But again, IANAL. I wish MSI or a Pro Gun politician, or someone could get an answer.

If you want and answer, send a request to your State Senator or Delegate and have them request the definitions from the AG.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    so..............exactly where are you buying them?:rolleyes:

Out of all the things already suggested, gunbroker also has a good selection to pick from.

No one knows what the rules are going to be so we are going to have to wait to see what the gov’t is going to say/do about the lower and 80% lower issue. I really doubt they will allow them though (Not sure how they will be able to prove that we didn't build an 80% before or after 10/1 though).

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Engage Armament in Rockville is selling lowers. I bought 2. They are gorgeous. More coming next month

Engage isn't just selling lowers, they're manufacturing them. Two batches at 1,000 per batch. I think they're making nearly as many uppers as well. I've got a lower and upper on order coming in the second batch, which is due in August. I think nearly all of the first batch of 1,000 lowers already arrived in their Rockville store. They sure are pretty! I may get a second, or third, or...gotta support our locals!

Last edited:

vcaddy05

Apr 18, 2013
    Check PSA and Joebob's both have had them recently. They may not have them in stock when you check however, keep checking they come in and out of stock often.

Yea to add on to Glock9mm is saying Joebobs has spikes lowers some in stock now I think, but if not, just get on their email list. You will get emails when they are in stock (usually every few weeks). They also have the poly lowers instock always if you want to do a budget build first. PSA sometimes has them in, and AERO has them in stock now. They are out there if you just search google, then find a close FFL dealer to have them sent to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom