• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    I put money down on an Arsenal SLR-101S. Even though I am not the biggest AK fan, I thought I needed one for my collection. Plus it seems like now might be a good time to pick up one anyway.

SLR101Sright.jpg

I know I am going to want to mount a red dot (probably a SPARC) and saw the Midwest Universal Rail System.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=241

I noticed it clamps to the barrel though, not sure I like that. Anybody have any experience with these?

Also, what kind of options are there for stocks with a milled AK? Kind of like the ACE stocks, but I understand they require gunsmithing.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    They need a list of the difference between the guns. SLR, SGL, 21, 101, 174, 107F. I can't tell em apart!

SLRs are Bulgarian. 101's are milled receiver 7.62x39, 106's are stamped receiver 5.56, 107's are stamped receiver 7.62x39.

SGLs are Russian Saiga Sporting rifles imported by Arsenal and converted. SGL21's are 7.62x39, SGL31's are 5.45x39, both stamped receivers.

Yme

Platinum Member
    Nov 3, 2012
    I put money down on an Arsenal SLR-101S. Even though I am not the biggest AK fan, I thought I needed one for my collection. Plus it seems like now might be a good time to pick up one anyway.

SLR101Sright.jpg

I know I am going to want to mount a red dot (probably a SPARC) and saw the Midwest Universal Rail System.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=241

I noticed it clamps to the barrel though, not sure I like that. Anybody have any experience with these?

Also, what kind of options are there for stocks with a milled AK? Kind of like the ACE stocks, but I understand they require gunsmithing.

You are a baller my friend lol!!!

Congrats on the purchase. A CZ and AK make a lethal combination :D

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Question for you, which has better quality? SLR or SGL?

I don't think you can go wrong with either, Arsenal has a good reputation. You could buy the Saiga Sporting version and do the conversion but personally I would rather pay for Arsenal to do it. Also, I think some people prefer the SGL because they are a Russian AK. I wanted milled so I went with the Bulgarian.

You want sex appeal go milled

Pretty much, If I get another AK in the future it will probably be the SGL31 so I can have an example of a AK-74.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    milled is a waste of weight there is no advantage over stamped

I'd agree. It's just has a coolness factor really. Weight isn't a concern for me, it won't be littered with lights and lasers and jingle bells anyway. I'm afraid my "Operator" status is limited to "Computers" :)

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    milled is a waste of weight there is no advantage over stamped

I would generally agree with you for practical purposes. However, market reality is there is a strong preference for milled guns, they bring more money, hold their value better, and will certainly be rarer on the market going forward. If you are presuming there will be a bottleneck in supply in the near future (which may not occur) buying a milled gun now makes sense and it is hard to argue with a gun that shares its heritage with the legendary Bulgarian SLR95. I have both, and the milled guns are a little more accurate, but they are both Arsenals.

As for mounting do these come with a rail on the side? Thats how I would do it then it is easy to remove with a quick release. If doing it right I would go with the below if a rail is present, or get the same rail mount and add your optic of choice

http://kalinkaoptics.com/original-p...ble-ak-side-rail-and-standard-30-mm-tube.html

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010

SLR101Sright.jpg

I was eyeing it at 2A on Saturday. Tom told me you had come in earlier to pick up your Colt and bought the 101s also. Next time tell me before you go so I can get there first. Nice grab.

Also, take a look at Tactical Response's Gen2 AK Rail. Looks nice and light and its affordable.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGKObYtKqS4&feature=plcp

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    I would generally agree with you for practical purposes. However, market reality is there is a strong preference for milled guns, they bring more money, hold their value better, and will certainly be rarer on the market going forward. If you are presuming there will be a bottleneck in supply in the near future (which may not occur) buying a milled gun now makes sense and it is hard to argue with a gun that shares its heritage with the legendary Bulgarian SLR95. I have both, and the milled guns are a little more accurate, but they are both Arsenals.

As for mounting do these come with a rail on the side? Thats how I would do it then it is easy to remove with a quick release. If doing it right I would go with the below if a rail is present, or get the same rail mount and add your optic of choice

http://kalinkaoptics.com/original-p...ble-ak-side-rail-and-standard-30-mm-tube.html

It does have the side rail.

I was eyeing it at 2A on Saturday. Tom told me you had come in earlier to pick up your Colt and bought the 101s also. Next time tell me before you go so I can get there first. Nice grab.

Also, take a look at Tactical Response's Gen2 AK Rail. Looks nice and light and its affordable.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGKObYtKqS4&feature=plcp

It wasn't my fault... It gave me the sad lost puppy look so I had to buy it. I think they have a few more coming in. May want to ask Mark and perhaps he will give you the heads up when they get there. ;) I have to be careful, sometimes just asking for a price on something causes it to show up.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    It does have the side rail.

It wasn't my fault... It gave me the sad lost puppy look so I had to buy it. I think they have a few more coming in. May want to ask Mark and perhaps he will give you the heads up when they get there. ;) I have to be careful, sometimes just asking for a price on something causes it to show up.

Then the side rail is what I would use. I bought a side rail mount for my SLR106 with a weaver top but ditched it as i like the folding stock to much. Going to use it somehow on my Romak II as a needle sniper rig, but may have to sell the mount and just get a PSO.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Then the side rail is what I would use. I bought a side rail mount for my SLR106 with a weaver top but ditched it as i like the folding stock to much. Going to use it somehow on my Romak II as a needle sniper rig, but may have to sell the mount and just get a PSO.

I like the AK74 folding stock and the ACE stocks but I understand you have to do some work to fit to a milled receiver. Not sure I wan't to do that so a side mount may not be an issue. Maybe I will toss a Kobra on it and keep all that fancy western stuff on my Colt AR's. :D I already have a 551-A1 and hopefully soon a 556R to satisfy my folding needs. If I had a SGL31 that would have a folder for sure.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    I'd agree. It's just has a coolness factor really. Weight isn't a concern for me, it won't be littered with lights and lasers and jingle bells anyway. I'm afraid my "Operator" status is limited to "Computers" :)

Thats not what im saying really...
    I am just saying for like 100 bucks more you could have got the poly sidefolder

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I like the AK74 folding stock and the ACE stocks but I understand you have to do some work to fit to a milled receiver. Not sure I wan't to do that so a side mount may not be an issue. Maybe I will toss a Kobra on it and keep all that fancy western stuff on my Colt AR's. :D I already have a 551-A1 and hopefully soon a 556R to satisfy my folding needs. If I had a SGL31 that would have a folder for sure.

The rail mount definately will interfere. Thats one thing I was disappointed on on my SLR106, a little notch in the poly and they could have allowed both functions simultaneously.

Frankly, this is likely to be a rare gun in 10 years, I would think twice about modifying it unless you really really want to.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    The rail mount definately will interfere. Thats one thing I was disappointed on on my SLR106, a little notch in the poly and they could have allowed both functions simultaneously.

Frankly, this is likely to be a rare gun in 10 years, I would think twice about modifying it unless you really really want to.

Yeah I'd rather not make any permanent changes.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Thats not what im saying really...
    I am just saying for like 100 bucks more you could have got the poly sidefolder

The SA-M7s? They are fully made in the US aren't they? If I was really going to go crazy, the SA M-7SFK! But that's crazy money. I'd have to get a preban Galil for that.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    The SA-M7s? They are fully made in the US aren't they? If I was really going to go crazy, the SA M-7SFK! But that's crazy money. I'd have to get a preban Galil for that.

No, the SAM7s are not all US. They are virtually the same as the SLR101's, the difference being the 101's are in postban barrel config (no bayo lug) and the SLR101's are one size fits all with no underfolders etc. Otherwise pretty close across the board. I have a SAM5 fixed stock (5.56) they were much less common, but also less valuable than the 7s. Thats why the 101s are really a buy right now if you have the cash.

Id like to see you find a preban Galil in this market for the $1800 the SAMs are going for. If you do buy 3!

Still $ for $ there are a lot of nice clean, preban Norincos on the market for under $1,000 those are probably the best buy right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom