• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I have seen the open letter on this forum to the ATF asking for clarification on the release time on pistols, etc. Has there been any response? My FFL and other I have spoken to seem to be the most concerned about the ATF fines, etc.

TD

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    I have seen no official letter but I think this sums it up.

Q: If a State is acting as a NICS point of contact (POC) and State law has requirements regarding the amount of time that a licensee must wait before transferring a firearm after contacting the State, should the licensee comply with the State requirements, the Federal requirements, or both?
    The licensee must comply with both State and Federal requirements.

Example: State D is acting as a POC for NICS checks. State law requires a background check prior to the transfer of any firearm. State law also requires the licensee to wait 10 days to get a response from the State. The licensee must contact the State POC for a NICS check and a State background check. The licensee must comply with both Federal and State law by waiting 10 days for a response prior to transferring the firearm. If the licensee has not received a response from the State after 10 days, he or she may transfer the firearm.

Taken from http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/brady-law.html#waiting-period

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I have seen no official letter but I think this sums it up.

Quote:
    Q: If a State is acting as a NICS point of contact (POC) and State law has requirements regarding the amount of time that a licensee must wait before transferring a firearm after contacting the State, should the licensee comply with the State requirements, the Federal requirements, or both?
    The licensee must comply with both State and Federal requirements.

Example: State D is acting as a POC for NICS checks. State law requires a background check prior to the transfer of any firearm. State law also requires the licensee to wait 10 days to get a response from the State. The licensee must contact the State POC for a NICS check and a State background check. The licensee must comply with both Federal and State law by waiting 10 days for a response prior to transferring the firearm. If the licensee has not received a response from the State after 10 days, he or she may transfer the firearm.
    Taken from http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/brad...waiting-period

So the FFL has no reasonable reason to fear ATF issues since the MSP is the point of contact in Md.

Thank you, you da man.
    TD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom