• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Larre

Sep 29, 2013
    I don’t mean to start a whole new “assault pistol” rant/thread, but I’m confused as to why a GHM9 with a 16” barrel is banned as an “assault pistol” according to my local FFL and cannot be purchased in MD, even though the GHM9 is on the approved handgun list. My FFL could not explain what makes this version of the GHM9 banned, but obviously it must have something to do with the barrel length.

I know the answer here is “because Maryland”, but can anyone explain why this pistol is banned in MD? Would it be correct to assume that any 9mm handguns with a 16” barrel are banned? Or is there something about this specific handgun that makes it forbidden?

Larre

Sep 29, 2013
    When the FFL attempts to add the barrel length to the MD online system for transfer (sorry… not sure what to call it), the system spits it out as banned. Other barrel lengths “work”… just not the 16”.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    It has to be done as a consignment return if I remember correctly. I had to do a 16” pistol a couple years ago

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I don’t know about the rest of you but, I sleep so much better knowing the very real impact these arcane and asinine reg.s (aka - bureaucratic masturbating) are having on hindering violent felons from, well, violent feloning …

Larre

Sep 29, 2013
    It has to be done as a consignment return if I remember correctly. I had to do a 16” pistol a couple years ago
    Thanks for this response. I’m sorry, but I’m completely unfamiliar with the system used for this. It sounds like you are saying that the pistol should be able to be purchased and transferred in MD, but that there’s just something a bit different that is required (“consignment return”) in order to get the system to accept it. Am I understanding that correctly?

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Thanks for this response. I’m sorry, but I’m completely unfamiliar with the system used for this. It sounds like you are saying that the pistol should be able to be purchased and transferred in MD, but that there’s just something a bit different that is required (“consignment return”) in order to get the system to accept it. Am I understanding that correctly?
    Yes

Larre

Sep 29, 2013
    OK, thanks again!
    For future reference, RRomig was exactly correct. Apparently, the MSP does not consider handguns with barrels of 16” or longer as regulated and therefore do not require a 77R, but they still have to go through the MD NICS Check. I guess in a way, at least according to the MSP and it’s interpretation of MD gun laws, it’s essentially a rifle without a stock.

According to MSP Rachel:

According to Retired Sgt. Jason Edwards (Firearms Registration Unit, Licensing Division), he stated a couple years ago that "Firearms that meet the Federal definition of a handgun however they fail to meet the definition of a handgun in Maryland, do not require a 77R as they are not regulated. The handguns, where the barrel is 16” or more are to be submitted by the dealers using the Pawn Redemption/Return of Consignment form for a NICS check. The link to the form can be found on the Licensing Division homepage. A 77R is not to be completed for these firearms." In case there have been any changes to the process for firearms over the 16" barrel length or you have any further questions, please direct them to the Firearms Registration Unit, msp.firearmsregistration@maryland.gov or 410-653-4500.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...onBureau/LicensingDivision/NICS-for-Pawn.aspx

So a Gold Star goes out to RRomig! Thanks again!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    For future reference, RRomig was exactly correct. Apparently, the MSP does not consider handguns with barrels of 16” or longer as regulated and therefore do not require a 77R, but they still have to go through the MD NICS Check. I guess in a way, at least according to the MSP and it’s interpretation of MD gun laws, it’s essentially a rifle without a stock.

According to MSP Rachel:

According to Retired Sgt. Jason Edwards (Firearms Registration Unit, Licensing Division), he stated a couple years ago that "Firearms that meet the Federal definition of a handgun however they fail to meet the definition of a handgun in Maryland, do not require a 77R as they are not regulated. The handguns, where the barrel is 16” or more are to be submitted by the dealers using the Pawn Redemption/Return of Consignment form for a NICS check. The link to the form can be found on the Licensing Division homepage. A 77R is not to be completed for these firearms." In case there have been any changes to the process for firearms over the 16" barrel length or you have any further questions, please direct them to the Firearms Registration Unit, msp.firearmsregistration@maryland.gov or 410-653-4500.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...onBureau/LicensingDivision/NICS-for-Pawn.aspx

So a Gold Star goes out to RRomig! Thanks again!
    RR is da man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom