• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DemoDave

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 25, 2008
    Cookeysville
    I spend a lot of time in the City, all over the place, and I have never felt unsafe. Vioence in the City has become a political football and as such has become so overblown it's ridiculous.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    My office which is closer to home is closing in a few months and I'll have to commute to the Baltimore office. Besides the longer commute, I'm worried about the crime, so I'm looking for another job.

Thanks for posting that crimebaltimore.com link. In the process of looking up the details of the crimes, I came across this:

"Police responding to a domestic assault in the 3900 block of Inner Circle about 12:30 a.m. Monday removed handguns, shotguns, rifles and ammunition from the house for the sake of a woman's safety after a man threatened to shoot her during an argument. The woman was advised to seek a warrant for the man's arrest on assault charges." Baltimore Sun Police Blotter - May 15, 2008 http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/crime/bal-md.blotter15may15,0,1101719.story

Auckland

Get On My Horse
    Apr 6, 2008
    The Dena
    I think its funny when people say its safe. If the ghetto is one block away then the block you are on is also the ghetto. 300 feet does not make one safe. I look at it like this. In Annapolis, there is a street that the first section of houses are decent TH's the second section is called Bywater, a open air crack market, after you drive past crack alley you reach million dollar homes. Are these houses safe? Same in Bodymore. You walk 300 feet away from downtown and you are in a economic war zone. Remember, Police dont prevent crime, They show up after it has happened. These people shoot cops and children and dont forget the stray bullets.

SDA

May 22, 2008
    Dun-Doc Hun
    I worked downtown for 14 years up to 2001. I remember one morning, in summer of 2000 (ya don't forget these events) walking from my car up Pratt St and right in front of the Pratt St Pavilion, some panhandler leaps out from no where and stands in front of me. Didn't ask for money, just gave me this death stare and asked "What are you going to do about it?" I was absolutely stunned and couldn't speak. He just stared me down and I started walking past him. Freaked my ass out bigtime!

I was never so happy to leave working in Baltimore City! I rarely ever go back. I hate the parking garages as they feel like death traps to me.

If I could carry my Glock 22 with me legally, I personally would feel safer to visit the Harbor more as I do miss the attractions and especially the food, but it ain't going to happen! The closest I care to come to it now is on 95 after the Harbor Tunnel.

DemoDave

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 25, 2008
    Cookeysville
    I've lived in the City and I've lived in the county. In fact, I just bought a place water in Baltimore. I've never felt unsafe in either place. When I lived in the City I never had anything stolen but I can't say the same about the County.
    I've worked in the City in some of the worst parts and never felt threatened. I ahve worked in all the projects and in Sandtown/Winchester.

I think you are blowing this out of proportion.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I've lived in the City and I've lived in the county. In fact, I just bought a place water in Baltimore. I've never felt unsafe in either place. When I lived in the City I never had anything stolen but I can't say the same about the County.
    I've worked in the City in some of the worst parts and never felt threatened. I ahve worked in all the projects and in Sandtown/Winchester.

I too have worked doing construction in one of the old developments in the worst of places in Baltimore, and I too have walked the streets of the not so safe places of Baltimore at night where the street lights were not working, and I too generally felt no imminent danger......but I am a slightly larger than average male, I know just a little about street smarts, I do not look like I have anything worth stealing and the only times I really did have anything worth stealing was construction tools which means I was an armed victim armed with a hammer or a a heavy wrench.
    I will still walk down those streets, even at night, but if I had family would I take them down any of those streets at night or would I feel safe letting my wife (if I had one) walk or drive down one of those streets without me even during the day time? Hell no!!!
    Would I feel safe letting my old mother drive around in Baltimore alone and take teh chance of getting lost taking the wrong turn into any one of those neighborhoods? Hell no!!

One has to ask themself if it is safe for all their family there and not just for themself. If one is wary for family members and thinks it not safe for them, then Baltimore is not safe and the worries are not blown out of proportion.

Over 4,000 robberies and 6,000 aggravated assaults a year in Baltimore and they do not all occur in the "bad" neighborhoods.
    If someone agrees there is a legitimate need to carry a handgun in MD, then it is ten times more needed in the city of Baltimore and Prince George's county. That is my point. If I was alone in Baltimore I may not feel the need to carry a handgun because I can be as reckless with my own life as I like, but if I was my family I wouldn't want to be there without one.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
      Capture.JPG
      192.3 KB · Views: 149

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    the only decent thing in baltimore is hooters... and on the outskirts, barely into baltimore is the ravens stadium.....

think baltimore is bad? try looking at D.C.

SDA

May 22, 2008
    Dun-Doc Hun
    the only decent thing in baltimore is hooters... and on the outskirts, barely into baltimore is the ravens stadium.....

think baltimore is bad? try looking at D.C.

Here I thought the gun ban in DC made it a very safe place to live and visit. :innocent0

Rock on Hooters! :party29:

R

RavensD

I grew up on the east side and live in Baltimore County now but still go to school in the city. It isn't that bad as long as you know your surroundings and keep a low profile. My in laws still live in the city and their neighborhood is fine (and its not Canton or Federal Hill), they were fortunate enough to avoid the section 8 inner city flight that ruined much of east/northeast part of town. Most murders are related to the drug trade, either not paying debts or encroaching on another dealers turf.

DemoDave

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 25, 2008
    Cookeysville
    I like being able to walk everywhere. Everything is within 6 or 8 blocks. Living in the county I have to drive everywhere which is a real hassle. York Rd. is a major PITA

RavensD you have it lucky living in Parkville. I used to live there (actually I grew up therer too) and it is one of the most convenient places to live. You can be anywhere in 20 minutes. Downtown, Towson, Canton, White Marsh........

DemoDave

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 25, 2008
    Cookeysville
    I take my wife everywhere with me in the city. We just bought the daughter a house in Hampden. It wasn't my first choice but it is where she wants to live. I did buy her a big dog just because I didn't like the idea of her being alone by herself. But I would have done that no matter where she lives.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I haven't had any trouble lately, but then again being 6'7" and walking decisively helps a lot.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    My office which is closer to home is closing in a few months and I'll have to commute to the Baltimore office. Besides the longer commute, I'm worried about the crime, so I'm looking for another job.

Thanks for posting that crimebaltimore.com link. In the process of looking up the details of the crimes, I came across this:

"Police responding to a domestic assault in the 3900 block of Inner Circle about 12:30 a.m. Monday removed handguns, shotguns, rifles and ammunition from the house for the sake of a woman's safety after a man threatened to shoot her during an argument. The woman was advised to seek a warrant for the man's arrest on assault charges." Baltimore Sun Police Blotter - May 15, 2008 http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/crime/bal-md.blotter15may15,0,1101719.story

And this is in a "nicer" area of Baltimore........One of the better parts of the Brooklyn/Curtis Bay area.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    The second time i was ever shot at was in Baltimore. Near the cemetary on North Ave and Greenmount.

Yes, I'm aware that is definitely NOT a tourist area.

I quit working for BGE the following week.

txiyo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2008
    Oh, watch out for that HIV. Apparently the CDC in association with Johns Hopkins concluded that ever 1 in 3 people in Baltimore is infected with type 1, 2, or 3 HIV.

Don't punch anyone, just run away or kick in the groin.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    It doesn't matter if your in the city or out in the boondocks, trouble will find you if that's in your destiny. How you handle it is your choice but I recommend this tried and true method.

Combat Mindset - The Cooper Color Code
    The most important means of surviving a lethal confrontation is, according to Cooper, neither the weapon nor the martial skills. The primary tool is the combat mindset, set forth in Principles of Personal Defense.

In the chapter on awareness, Cooper presents an adaptation of the Marine Corps system to differentiate states of readiness:

White - Unaware and unprepared. If attacked in Condition White, the only thing that may save you is the inadequacy or ineptitude of your attacker. When confronted by something nasty, your reaction will probably be "Oh my God! This can't be happening to me."

Yellow - Relaxed alert. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself." You are simply aware that the world is an unfriendly place and that you are prepared to do something, if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and realize that "I may have to SHOOT today." You don't have to be armed in this state but if you are armed you should be in Condition Yellow. You should always be in Yellow whenever you are in unfamiliar surroundings or among people you don't know. You can remain in Yellow for long periods, as long as you are able to "Watch your six". (In aviation 12 o'clock refers to the direction in front of the aircraft's nose. Six o'clock is the blind spot behind the pilot.) In Yellow, you are "taking in" surrounding information in a relaxed but alert manner, like a continuous 360 degree radar sweep.

Orange - Specific alert. Something is not quite right and has gotten your attention. Your radar has picked up a specific alert. You shift your primary focus to determine if there is a threat (but you do not drop your six). Your mindset shifts to "I may have to shoot HIM today." In Condition Orange, you set a mental trigger: "If that goblin does "x", I will need to stop him." Your pistol usually remains holstered in this state. Staying in Orange can be a bit of a mental strain, but you can stay in it for as long as you need to. If the threat proves to be nothing, you shift back to Condition Yellow.

Red - Condition Red is fight. Your mental trigger has been "tripped" (established back in Condition Orange). You take appropriate action.

Now if you don't have a revolver or pistol handy on your person since you choose to follow the Laws of "OMalleyland" and those fine BPD officers are unavailable to protect you, what should you do????:wtf:

That answer should be another thread of its' own.

But in closing, "Live in the Yellow and be prepared for the Red"

KillerTux

Sep 28, 2007
    Odenton

Maybe, I have not been hurt yet but it looks bleak. I attend the University of Baltimore and that is in the Mount Vernon area. I don't know who but someone would smash out the lights to the stairwells to the parking garage so it is nice and dark. There were people who got mugged and hell..a guy got stabbed at the light rail station which is 150 meters from where I park and he boarded the train with a knife in his stomach. UB has there own police force armed with Glocks. Not a little security force but a real, accredited police department. Daytime everything is great but I had some late night classes that got out @ 10:45pm and that made me uneasy. Baltimore has problems and I see it everyday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom