• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I've had little stand time this season, hardly any bow time, but I did get out yesterday and tagged a decent buck. Not the biggest on I've seen this season on the farm, but he just stood there and dared me too long.. it was a long shot, 170yds, but he dropped in his tracks thankfully!!

IMG_7659.jpg
    69237468022__AE3008F2-2FD4-45BA-9634-DE2D909D3E03.jpg

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I've had little stand time this season, hardly any bow time, but I did get out yesterday and tagged a decent buck. Not the biggest on I've seen this season on the farm, but he just stood there and dared me too long.. it was a long shot, 170yds, but he dropped in his tracks thankfully!!

View attachment 391674 View attachment 391675
    Nice buck. Not the biggest on the farm? Wow, we should all be that ‘unfortunate’.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD

View attachment 391674 View attachment 391675
    Congrats
    That’s a poke

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Nice buck! Congratulations

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This has been a weird hunting season for me. I haven't been able to get out as much as normal (only been out maybe four days, with one 8 pointer in the freezer). Today will be no exception. I'm going to be cutting small trees, shrubs, and their roots out of an area where a retaining wall is about to be replaced. I suppose that there's always late rifle for a last hurrah this season.

Good luck to everyone who's out today!
    I hear you. I should have no complaints because I’ve barely been out. Two full days, one evening and a garbage trip to the street is all of the hunting I’ve done. But I have an ugly button buck, a mature doe and a giant 6 in the freezer on top of a bunch that was already in there. I am still hoping my buddy wants to go hunting on the eastern shore late season. Or heck, if anyone wants a hunting buddy those two days.

I am done solo hunting for the year. Hunting with someone else, I can always donate the deer. Or well, a Sika I’ll find the space :-)

COVID, in-laws, and good luck kind of got in the way of a lot of time afield.

BTW someone was asking how the Euro mount came out. I skinned the head, hit it with a screw driver and hose to get as much brains out as I could. I then cooked it at probably 200F a little below a simmer for around 6-7hrs. Pretty much everything came off. I popped the ear canals/bones off and out. Hosed out the brain box and everything else scraped or hosed off. I used some 6” forceps to get most of the nasal natter out and then hit it with a high pressure hose.

No pressure washer needed. I did not peroxide or otherwise bleach it.

The result is on the left. On the right was my first deer ever. Everything else has been does, buttons, a spike and a couple okay sized 5-pts. I thought one was big until this giant 6.

Attachments

• 077908BC-EB03-4A41-BB74-ADD6D574DF0D.jpeg
      077908BC-EB03-4A41-BB74-ADD6D574DF0D.jpeg
      272.3 KB · Views: 70

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    To add, it’s certainly some work. I’d probably only do it again on a nice sized buck. Zero regrets, I like how it turned out. And it gives me confidence if I got a rather nice deer or other animal I could do it again.

But a buck that was much smaller I’d probably skull cap the antlers and call it a day. Of course a fantastic animal I’d pony up for a taxidermist to do a head and shoulders mount. I’ll find a way to live with my wife’s ire.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Thanks all and I too opt for euro mounts for most of my good bucks over the past years. I did do a full shoulder mount of my elk from last year, but that was special. I have even used the shed mount fake skulls to mount sheds and they come out pretty well.

The first and second pic are of a buck I targeted last season after I found his sheds. The first pic was the buck I shot on opening day of shotgun season, the second is his sheds that I found earlier in the spring. I mounted them on a fake skull to get an idea of the difference. He was clearly a little more busted up and probably on his way downhill the fall that I shot him. I have pics of him through the summer before he broke some of his stickers, but he was still better the year before. Never got a pic of him that year tho, only after I found his sheds in the spring.

The other is just another euro mounted on a plaque, but I like the looks of it as compared to just mounting a skull cap. I do the lesser racks by just capping them and mounting them on a plaque and that's what I'll do with this one.

IMG_7671.jpg
    IMG_7672.jpg

IMG_7673.jpg

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Nice euros!

I did the same. On the grill for hours with baking soda and dish soap. Then pressure washer. Then I finished with peroxide gel.

Mounted on black walnut from the farm.

Attachments

• IMG_20221211_204654580.jpg
      IMG_20221211_204654580.jpg
      94.6 KB · Views: 61
    • IMG_20221204_150620901.jpg
      IMG_20221204_150620901.jpg
      366.3 KB · Views: 55

ffrobbyrob

Mar 3, 2007
    Finksburg
    Shot this one today. Crossbow left entry. Went about 20yrds. More meat for the freezer.

Attachments

• 626D8857-3939-44E9-907B-39ACC14480FD.jpeg
      626D8857-3939-44E9-907B-39ACC14480FD.jpeg
      559.9 KB · Views: 63

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads