• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Might as well get it going. I'm sure there are some putting out cameras and food plots.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Yup, watched them this morning.

IMG_0491.jpeg

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Contemplating doing a “throw an grow” food plot this month or just wait till spring. The protein pellets and corn works just fine as well.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Seems like most of the farmers went with corn this year and a few with soybeans.

I had a hell of a time getting the deer out of the corn fields early in the season as they just camped out in the fields. Once the harvester came through I saw a lot more activity in the surrounding woods.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I moved my camera from predator area to deer area a couple months ago. Been looking as always for more hunting ground but it’s not working out. Have had a bachelor group come in about once a week but this one has only showed up once. The older ones tend to break off earlier.
    IMG_8959.png

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    The thought of Bambi-whacking just crossed my mind today. Need to start checking cameras and battery inventories. Then head to Southern States. I do keep two mineral blocks out year round.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Bambi whacking.....
    Is this limited strictly to Odocoileus Spp or does anyone mind me chiming in with something smaller?
    roedeer.jpg

C. capreolus - Roedeer. This is actually a larger example of the species. Typical 6-pointer, harvested about a week ago.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Seems like most of the farmers went with corn this year and a few with soybeans.

I had a hell of a time getting the deer out of the corn fields early in the season as they just camped out in the fields. Once the harvester came through I saw a lot more activity in the surrounding woods.
    Pray for a strong acorn drop. That will help get them moving more.
    I moved my camera from predator area to deer area a couple months ago. Been looking as always for more hunting ground but it’s not working out. Have had a bachelor group come in about once a week but this one has only showed up once. The older ones tend to break off earlier. View attachment 426643
    Just remember, for every buck that leaves, there's always that chance of a new buck showing up from somewhere else(hope springs eternal).

Not only that, but your bachelors(the ones to survive the season) will start coming home during late ML season.
    Bambi whacking.....
    Is this limited strictly to Odocoileus Spp or does anyone mind me chiming in with something smaller?
    View attachment 426644

C. capreolus - Roedeer. This is actually a larger example of the species. Typical 6-pointer, harvested about a week ago.
    Any kind of deer killed anywhere is fair game here. That is indeed a nice Roe there. Congrats! :)

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Cleared out shooting lanes today and buddy is getting a younger one with a nice tall rack. He changes the food plot to buckwheat this year and seems to be attracting the bucks. We got a funnel into this plot on the upper end of the field with a cut fence. We all plan to hunt with Traditional/self bows in that stand.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The early droppers are usually the weak ones. I'm not an arborist, so I have no formal knowledge. I just go by years of observation.

Red oaks drop in a prolonged manor. Whites normally drop all at once, within a two week period. Pins are like reds, also dropping in a more prolonged period.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Contemplating doing a “throw an grow” food plot this month or just wait till spring. The protein pellets and corn works just fine as well.
    I sowed my clover plot this time last year. I sprayed it with roundup a couple times during the summer then used a handheld spreader to sow ladino and medium red clover(purple flowered). Later in the fall I overseeded that with winter wheat. I don't have a camera out but I can see where they've been in there. Just tonight I saw a doe and a young one out in the back bean field

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom