Bass fishing has been pretty good lately.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Back in January my father had a heart valve replacement due to a birth defect that finally went bad. It was a rough few months of recovery, but he's back to 100% and still kicking my butt on the river. The last week or so we've been fishing the Susquehanna right above the dam. Some days have a been great, but most days you have to work for your fish. Here are some pics I took of the nicer fish. One day my mother even got in on the action.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    bass can be tricky...but fun to catch

Ive caught a few small bass but nothing significant this month....lot of it is timing..

I have gotten a few decent bites. I know there are bass in the water where I am fishing (Rocky Gorge) because a friend on Facebook caught a bunch yesterday! I have been trying strictly with a plastic worm on a texas rig. Might have to try some spinners or maybe get some plastic stick bait.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I have gotten a few decent bites. I know there are bass in the water where I am fishing (Rocky Gorge) because a friend on Facebook caught a bunch yesterday! I have been trying strictly with a plastic worm on a texas rig. Might have to try some spinners or maybe get some plastic stick bait.

Im not big on fishing, but of all the times I have gone i have NEVER caught a fish on anything but live bait. :shrug:

willy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 13, 2013
    Carroll County
    what color worm and how ya fishing it?

I caught 3 small large mouths on worms and a bobber Saturday afternoon. Caught 1 carp and a ton of small white perch.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    what color worm and how ya fishing it?

I caught 3 small large mouths on worms and a bobber Saturday afternoon. Caught 1 carp and a ton of small white perch.

The worm is dark green, powerbait type. I am going to get some brighter ones. I am casting it out, maybe getting 15-20 yards, and dragging/hopping it along the bottom.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    I fished the South Fork Shenandoah at my cabin near Stanley, VA over the weekend. Only caught 4 smallmouths that were almost as small as my floating rapala. The water was cold and they had a good flood the previous weak, so I'm guessing that may have helped my bad luck.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Im not big on fishing, but of all the times I have gone i have NEVER caught a fish on anything but live bait. :shrug:

I am determined to catch something on some artificial bait. I agree, when I was a kid and every other time I have been fishing, live bait only, but when you read various stuff on fishing, esp bass, people swear by artificial baits.

Artificial baits do make it hella easy though. No digging up/buying worms, grab your gear and go!

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Took a break from some house remodeling with the wifey cause she said I looked tired and needed a fishing break. She caught a few smaller ones and I had a few smaller ones and was about to pack it up and called last cast and didn't catch anything. Wife then called a mulligan on a bad cast so I figured what the hell and threw my Senko out there one more time. Didn't feel the bite at all, just thought I was snagged on a lilypad and to my surprise lines started to peel off and after a good fight I landed this big momma. Didn't have my scale but guestimated around 5 1/2 to 6 pounds, wish I had caught her during the spawn cause she would have been 7 easy.

10346642_10152396105212421_8041959720224169004_n.jpg

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Took a break from some house remodeling with the wifey cause she said I looked tired and needed a fishing break. She caught a few smaller ones and I had a few smaller ones and was about to pack it up and called last cast and didn't catch anything. Wife then called a mulligan on a bad cast so I figured what the hell and threw my Senko out there one more time. Didn't feel the bite at all, just thought I was snagged on a lilypad and to my surprise lines started to peel off and after a good fight I landed this big momma. Didn't have my scale but guestimated around 5 1/2 to 6 pounds, wish I had caught her during the spawn cause she would have been 7 easy.

10346642_10152396105212421_8041959720224169004_n.jpg

Nice looking fish! Lake Needwood?

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Smoke and purple flake 4 inch senko Texas rigged weightless on a 3/0 gamakatsu EWG hook. I just cast it out and if I don't get a bite on the fall I give it a twitch and then let it sit there for a good 20 seconds and if I still don't get a bite I twitch and reel a bit of m be in and then repeat until I retrieve the lure. Caught her at the Kentlands main lake in the boulder corner by the emerging Lily pads. Been having a TON of luck over at the Kentlands lakes, I work at the Lowe's there so I sometimes sneak a few casts in before work or after.

willy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 13, 2013
    Carroll County
    The worm is dark green, powerbait type. I am going to get some brighter ones. I am casting it out, maybe getting 15-20 yards, and dragging/hopping it along the bottom.

Only time I ever get one on a rubber worm, it is motoroil or dark purple. fished like Mil-surp said. But it catches small mouths more often. I have seen some large ones come barreling in and then turn around this year. I think I reel it in too fast.

Thanks for the step by step Mil-surp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom