• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K3LAG

Hi All!!

Been a member here for about 6 months, but haven't posted much. I thought I'd say 'Hi' to everyone finally.

I'm the Vice President of the Maryland Rifle Club, an elder at Countryside Fellowship Church in Savage and I have way too many hobbies (at least my wife thinks so.) I'm also an amateur gunsmith and plan to possibly do it part time to make a few extra bucks when I retire from my current job. Right now I limit myself to personal projects and builds/repairs for friends and family.

My current project is a custom Remington 700. Fully blue printed with a Hart #3 barrel in .243. Muzzle brake, carbon fiber stock and more. Total weight with optics should be about 7 lbs. It's on the back burner for a bit while I clean my shop up and finish another project related to one of my other hobbies (amateur rocketry.)

Just like many of the folks here, I've been heavily engaged in the fiasco in Annapolis over the last few months.

As you can tell from my username, I'm also an amateur radio operator.

Talk to you more soon,

Larry

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]HOW to APPLY for a MARYLAND Carry Permit[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]MDS Logo Gear[/FONT]http://www.mdshooters.com/gear/

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    welcome - lots of new members - must be impending potential firearms laws.

Duh! lets pass future laws to restrict the right to bear arms so that there are fewer guns in MD - of course just the opposite: everyone is scrambling to purchase their firearms of choice now!

Many many first time buyers.

Common sense and politics just don't go together.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Howdy.

www.marylandshallissue.org

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    Welcome, haven't done rockets for decades. Back then it was the Estes? engines on homemade or kit ships. Has the hobby advanced any in 40 years? Your probably at the drone level now.

K3LAG

Welcome, haven't done rockets for decades. Back then it was the Estes? engines on homemade or kit ships. Has the hobby advanced any in 40 years? Your probably at the drone level now.
    Rocketry has changed a great deal. Estes is still in business and that segment is still the way a lot of people get into the hobby. Some are happy with that and stick with model rocketry, but some of us like bigger, louder, faster so we move onto high-power rocketry which requires certification.

I'm currently working on rockets I will use to get my level 1 and level 2 certifications. My level 1 rocket is about 3 feel long, 2.5 inches in diameter, made of fiberglass and will fly on a H motor. My level 2 rocket is close to 5 feet long, 4 inches in diameter, about 8 lbs and will fly on a J motor. The J motor is 38mm in diameter and about 16 inches long. A J motor runs about $70. A far cry from the $8 for 3 Estes motors.

Needless to say it takes a lot of space. Most local launches are on the eastern shore.

Oh, and we have our problems with the ATF as well. They like to require us to have Low Explosive User Permits for some of our stuff and they are always trying to find some way to control things because the are afraid some terrorist will use a hobby rocket for nefarious purposes. So far, I've managed to stay keep all my efforts below the thresholds they care about, but for some guys it's a real pain.

We (the NAR and other rocketry organizations) actually successfully sued the ATF several years ago when they tried to declare APCP an explosive.

If you want to learn more, check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-power_rocketry

Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom