• Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    OK,
    Friend got a REALLY nice looking Belgian A5. Built in the 70's
    He finally shot it today at some clays.
    It did not cycle. Visually, I could not see it going past half way. When I asked, he says he did not clean and lube it from when he got it last fall.
    Do you think that's all he needs to do or could be something else?

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Check the friction rings on the magazine tube. I will bet money someone has installed them improperly or some parts are missing. There are diagrams online that show the proper orientation of the rings. Is this a 2 3/4 chambered Light 12 or is it a 3" Mag 12?

The A5 needs to have the friction rings set for the type of loads that are being used in the gun. For example, the rings are oriented differently for heavy high base loads versus light target loads. Not a big deal and it only takes seconds to set the rings up correctly for the load being used. This simple task confounds certain mouth breathing gun owners and leads them to tout superiority of their Benelli because they can stuff any random shell from their pocket in the gun and hope it will work (not directed at you OP or your friend.) Good luck! :)

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    2 3/4
    We were shooting Remington Target loads.

I'll ask him to look and report.

mdonzi

mdonzi
    Feb 26, 2010
    pasadena
    check the rings and clean and lube is your a5 a magnum or light 12.
    there really are not good guns. I would sell it to me and get a Mossberg

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Check the friction rings on the magazine tube. I will bet money someone has installed them improperly or some parts are missing. There are diagrams online that show the proper orientation of the rings. Is this a 2 3/4 chambered Light 12 or is it a 3" Mag 12?

The A5 needs to have the friction rings set for the type of loads that are being used in the gun. For example, the rings are oriented differently for heavy high base loads versus light target loads. Not a big deal and it only takes seconds to set the rings up correctly for the load being used. This simple task confounds certain mouth breathing gun owners and leads them to tout superiority of their Benelli because they can stuff any random shell from their pocket in the gun and hope it will work (not directed at you OP or your friend.) Good luck! :)

Nah, the Benelli just feels smooth compared to the clunky feeling action of the A5, whether Belgian or Japanese made. Granted, much easier to afford a historic A5 versus a new Benelli. Plus, no tinkering with friction rings in a Benelli to go from a 1 1/8 oz dove load to a 2 1/4 oz 3.5" turkey load. It allows somebody to hunt different game without having to ask the bird to hold up for friction rings to be adjusted.

Just kidding, but seriously.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    This diagram helped me out a lot. It's all about the ring setup.

A5ringsettngs.jpg

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Using target loads the rings need to be set for light loads, hunting loads set it for heavy. If it's a 3" gun many shooters that want to shoot target loads will install the friction parts and spring from a Light Twelve 2 3/4 gun and it will function fine.
    A properly set up A5 will be a soft recoiling gun, set up wrong and it will have harsh recoil.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Do you lube the friction rings?

On the Franchi shotguns, the rings and tube need to be dry.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    OK, that is what I would expect.

But I found out the hard way, that the Franchi is different. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom