Beltsville Sport Center gone or still open?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The last few times I have driven by during business hours, their "open" sign was not lit. I saw a note on the door but wasn't able to go and see what it said.

IIRC, the last time I was there, I noticed they had very very few firearms, a some older ammo, and a lot of very old accessories. I read the original owner died a few years ago, so I'm guessing the widow and daugther were the older women who were running the place.

catchnrelease

Jan 31, 2011
    i stopped by there last year around october and the sign on the door said only 2 people allowed to enter at one time. It seemed like they werent really in business anymore, the lady inside told me they only have really old stuff and none of the new stuff...

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I stopped in to look around a few months ago. Had to knock on the door and wait a few minutes for someone to come to the door. Took a look around, old stock and only a few firearms. If you are looking for old holsters they had several to chose from.

Nick29

MD expat
    Jan 17, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    I can't believe they're still actually open. I stopped in there about 6 years ago and their cases were ~80% empty. The old lady "working" there acted like I was bothering her by being there, and didn't know what I was talking about when I asked if they had any 1911s.

ViperRy

May 26, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    Same experience when I was looking for a handgun after turning 21 long ago. Going to UMD, that was the closest place. As I recall the woman said that they have been robbed a few times. Must put them on edge a lot.

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32
    The last few times I have driven by during business hours, their "open" sign was not lit. I saw a note on the door but wasn't able to go and see what it said.

IIRC, the last time I was there, I noticed they had very very few firearms, a some older ammo, and a lot of very old accessories. I read the original owner died a few years ago, so I'm guessing the widow and daugther were the older women who were running the place.

I didn't know they sold guns. Are the prices reasonable?

Yoboney

Sep 2, 2008
    They are still in business but what happens is that the large companies run the little guys out of business. The old man died and now his daughter runs the place. The prices are not bad and they can get you anything you want..remember it is Maryland with a waiting period...so what is a dew days more. :innocent0

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    Does anyone know what there hours are by chance ? If not, I only live 10 minutes from there if they're still in business I think I'll ride by there and see if they'll take my money !

RollTide

Dec 31, 2010
    Greenbelt
    Does anyone know what there hours are by chance ? If not, I only live 10 minutes from there if they're still in business I think I'll ride by there and see if they'll take my money !
    I work less than a mile away. It seems they dont have set hours. I've stopped by on my lunch break during the week and they have been closed, but other times they are open. The 2 ladys, and dog, seemed kinda mean at first but then they were ok. I had heard they were robbed and thats why they have the no more than 2 people at a time sign. I used to go because they had .44 cal lead balls dirt cheap but after awhile I bought all they had and they didn't restock.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The last I knew the owner was still alive, but now greatly slowed down. A cpl yrs ago he was very friendly, and would shoot the breeze all afternoon .

The bottom line is he owns the building, lives in attached apartment, and it's paid for long ago . Didn't care about making money, it gave him somthing to do inbetween going fishing. Tinkering with occasional gunsmithing project was more interesting than anything he could have done at a retirement home instead.

I would Imagine when he passes, the heirs will sell the building as commercial real estate.

It is like a time machine to step back 50yrs . When I first went there circa '73 , it was old school throwback then. At one point the entire. Right hand wall was full of his Winchester '73 collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom