• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    Good choice for first 9mm? Any problems with them? I found one a good price used. Should I look for anything specific before buying it?

crabhab

Feb 14, 2007
    I really enjoy shooting my 92FS. Very accurate and is the defenition of smooth. if it is more than a couple of years old you will have all metal parts which some people prefer. A plastic recoil spring guide rod, plastic coated de-cock/safety lever is not gonna kill it for me but, some people it really upsets them.

Check the locking block. If it worn use the 60 dollar beretta kit to re-furb. https://www.berettausa.com/e2wItemMain.aspx?parentID=IT00002017&parentLink=2100000084:3100001318:3100001336:3100001468

Good luck.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    i've shot that and my taurus knock off. i like the safety better on my PT99, but otherwise the 92 is a great gun :)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I really enjoy shooting my 92FS. Very accurate and is the defenition of smooth. if it is more than a couple of years old you will have all metal parts which some people prefer. A plastic recoil spring guide rod, plastic coated de-cock/safety lever is not gonna kill it for me but, some people it really upsets them.

Check the locking block. If it worn use the 60 dollar beretta kit to re-furb. https://www.berettausa.com/e2wItemMain.aspx?parentID=IT00002017&parentLink=2100000084:3100001318:3100001336:3100001468

Good luck.

Love my 92FS, only downside is that it is a little big for a 9mm, but is completely reliable, and not ammo sensitive. The "plastic" trigger/ safety/trigger bar are actually plastic coated aluminum to enhance durability, and the plastic "self cleaning" guide rod was included for better reliability in sandy/dusty conditions. I swapped mine over to a steel wolf rod, no real reason, but a little more weight up front, and an unfounded belief it may break, also used a 17lb "D model" mainspring to lighten up the DA pull a bit, and it is a good shooter.

ozwyn

Ultimate Member
    Apr 21, 2008
    Richardson, Texas
    Its a good, reliable pistol. Sometimes it feels like the "plain white bread" of high-capacity 9mm pistols. That is, nothing all that exceptional, but it WORKS.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    friend of mine got me one as a gift about 15y ago. Got himself one as well. I've taken superb care of mine and it was a POS out of the box -- in a ransom rest, the best 25m groups it would shoot were 3" x 7". It would have higher utility if I threw it as a rock. buddy has abused his shamelessly, but never had ftf or fte or any other problem (i.e., never cleans it, never rusted... but he lives in Arizona).

I found a gunsmith who took it on as a charity case, customized a bar-sto barrel, installed steel rails and adjustable sights etc. etc. and now it is solid gold. but that's after about 1500-2000 worth of work and parts.

long story short -- based on reports and experiences of others (e.g., this thread) I think I got one with a bad barrel. But I'd never buy one.

I'm with Maui -- I'd go Sig.

just my irrelevant .02...

Last edited:

13mogul

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    Buy it. I love mine. I know several LEO's that miss them as their service pistols, so that should say something.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Awesome performer. Reliable, doesnt jam. It actually gets boring after a while. If you are going suppressed, it is still one of the best platforms to put a can on.

issues:
    Stout grip
    hard to change out sights

Beretta 92 all decked out.

Attachments

• 92sd.jpg
      92sd.jpg
      71.3 KB · Views: 662

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    Just bought it. Now the waiting begins. $325 otd. Balt city school police trade in. The cop shop has like 50 of them left. They put houge grips on it no charge. Fantastic condition

jaywade

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Leesburg, VA
    it's a good shooter but .... way too big for a 9mm. it's proven they don't break often they shoot anything but it's huge. also fairly safe .... see one set on fire and thrown on cemet and run over w/ a big heavy duty truck not only did it no miss fire but when picked up it fired perfectly ..... there's a reason the army issued this (besides the price )

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I know I'm going to rain on everyones "I love Berretta" parade but I feel that the exposed barrel design of the slide allows too much sand to get in the grooves. But if your not low crawling with it, it is a fine carry pistol.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    I like it a lot.

Yes, a lot of crap can work into the action.
    Yes, in three or four seconds a decently coordinated individual can take a cleared and safe weapon and field strip down.

Just make sure the weapon and your hands are in a very large plastic (zip-loc type) if you take it down further than recommended..:rolleyes:...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom