• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    The original one got away (wife was too scared to securely trap it). At around 1730 hours, the beagle signaled the alarm. He had detected another intruder (he found the first one, too).

Beagle had him corned for a while until I caged it. I released him several miles away, on the other side of 95, so we will see if it returns.

It was so scared/exhausted, it wouldn't leave the trap, and when I shook him out, he wouldn't move if I poked him with a stick. I thought about smashing its skull with a large rock, but my three year old was standing there telling the groundhog to "go home." I just couldn't.:o

The beagle is getting extra rations tonight.

1071540_10201878782196917_2104946448_o.jpg

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    anything within 50yds, I use 22lr segmented hollowpoints made by cci.
    then I go up to 22wmr...(but I recently sold these to fund some regulated purchases)
    I have my 22-250 weatherby varmint that'll take care of em for sure.

My farmer neighbor uses his 17hmr all the time.

once I pick up all of my regulated purchases in the next couple months, I'll be back in the market for a 22wmr. but this time...i'll go for a CZ to see what the hype is all about.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Lol.... im guessing it was your daughter that fixed it a PBJ?

When the wife had it cornered in a stairwell earlier, she set up the trap with that plate of veggies and half a leftover stale pbj in hopes the terrified animal would stop for a snack during its escape. Lets just say that didnt work. It escaped but later on the groundhog seeking missile (beagle) found him again and i forced his ass into the trap with a pole.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    We been vaporizing them with a 222 for many years, but now I use the AR, either a 55gr Vmax (185yds on the one in the top pic) or if I am in areas where I have to watch collateral damage (livestock, houses, etc... ) I use a 50gr varmint grenade.. no ricochets if you make a bad shot..

I have killed a many with my Savage 22lr and for that I prefer CCI Velocitors.. they shoot well out of my bolt gun and drop em if you put in on the head..

Attachments

• DSC00383 cropped (659x800).jpg
      DSC00383 cropped (659x800).jpg
      115.8 KB · Views: 138
    • DSC00274 (800x600).jpg
      DSC00274 (800x600).jpg
      144.5 KB · Views: 136

Gabagool

Jul 11, 2013
    Harford County
    My dad is a farmer with a personal vendetta against groundhogs.

Along with filling their holes with manure, blowing their tunnels up, blocking their holes and gassing them, and running over them with New Holland skid loaders, he uses the .17 Hornet.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    My dad is a farmer with a personal vendetta against groundhogs.

Along with filling their holes with manure, blowing their tunnels up, blocking their holes and gassing them, and running over them with New Holland skid loaders, he uses the .17 Hornet.

I a city boy married a dairy farmer's daughter. I learned that Groundhogs are the scourge of the Earth. No death is too inhumane for the little F**CKERS.
    1. G-Hog eats EVERYTHING within 15 feet of its hole.
    2. G-Hog eats ALL the tomatoes in the garden.
    3. G-Hog eats ALL the sugar peas in the garden.
    4. G-hog(s) undermine the footings on the pole barn.
    5. Prize milker steps in G-hog hole & breaks leg.
    6. Horse steps in G-Hog hole & breaks leg.
    7. Cutting bar for hay bine hits mound, breaks tooth, haymaking stopped.
    8. Dog gets into fight with G-Hog. Dog wins. OK.
    9. Dog gets into fight with G-Hog. Dog loses. Not OK. Pay vet.
    10. G-Hog attacks YOU when you get between it and its hole.
    KILL THEM ALL.

crowmd

Mar 3, 2013
    brand new four wheel drive tractor hits hole front rear bust cost big money to fix hog is good for nothing but target also watch out using jelly bread skunks love that

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    brand new four wheel drive tractor hits hole front rear bust cost big money to fix hog is good for nothing but target also watch out using jelly bread skunks love that

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

TimG

Aug 14, 2012
    I have used 22LR, 22 Mag with Winchester 40 gr hollow points, 22-250, 30-30, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 303 British, 270 Win,SKS 7.62x39, and a 357 Magnum revolver. I never had any issues "stopping" groundhogs with any of them except for the 22LR(I tried high velocity hollow points, Yellow jacket Hyper velocity etc) and it wasn't a consistent "stopper". The 22 mag has always been a consistent "stopper" out to 100yds or so. By using my "deer rifles" for groundhogs, it gives me practice and the satisfaction of shooting more than just paper and a few deer every year.

And thanks for your intelligent response.

white rabbitt

Feb 27, 2013
    In our on-going war against the dreaded groundhog, I’ve tried just about everything.

.22 LRs are too underpowered… have scored solid hits only to see the little buggers gallop back into their holes. .22 mags are a bit better, but too many wound up wounded and I don’t like to do that. Have used shotguns when close enough and that works if the range is right. .222 works OK (but the only gun I have chambered in that isn’t a good long range gun. .223/5.56 seems like overkill to me. Heck once I even used a .30/30… that was really overkill. Best option I’ve found for consistent one-shot kills is a .22 hornet, but I wanted to see what other folks have had success with.

Cheers.

7mm/300mm/308/30.06

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    I a city boy married a dairy farmer's daughter. I learned that Groundhogs are the scourge of the Earth. No death is too inhumane for the little F**CKERS.
    1. G-Hog eats EVERYTHING within 15 feet of its hole.
    2. G-Hog eats ALL the tomatoes in the garden.
    3. G-Hog eats ALL the sugar peas in the garden.
    4. G-hog(s) undermine the footings on the pole barn.
    5. Prize milker steps in G-hog hole & breaks leg.
    6. Horse steps in G-Hog hole & breaks leg.
    7. Cutting bar for hay bine hits mound, breaks tooth, haymaking stopped.
    8. Dog gets into fight with G-Hog. Dog wins. OK.
    9. Dog gets into fight with G-Hog. Dog loses. Not OK. Pay vet.
    10. G-Hog attacks YOU when you get between it and its hole.
    KILL THEM ALL.
    you can add ground hog den makes sink holes and causes franklin to flip a Oliver 60RC over almost making franklin not here to be a pain in the ass to the world anymore.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    you can add ground hog den makes sink holes and causes franklin to flip a Oliver 60RC over almost making franklin not here to be a pain in the ass to the world anymore.

I actually forgot that one. My brother in law almost tipped the Ford 7000 on a semi-steep slope after bouncing over a mound. Doing that can KILL you!

white rabbitt

Feb 27, 2013
    I always used to use .308 for groundhogs, when the neighbor rancher used to have me shoot them because they made holes in cow pastures that the cattle could step in and break their legs. Personally I wouldn't use anything less then a .223. The .308 allows you to really put them down from a distance, because they are very sharp eyed, and it packs a punch, tends to make them do a backflip when hit that is very satisfying.

Chris Rummel

I agree. But if you have Giant Mutated Groundhogs (live next to a former Nike Missile SIte) than use a 50 caliber.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    In our on-going war against the dreaded groundhog, I’ve tried just about everything.

.22 LRs are too underpowered… have scored solid hits only to see the little buggers gallop back into their holes. .22 mags are a bit better, but too many wound up wounded and I don’t like to do that. Have used shotguns when close enough and that works if the range is right. .222 works OK (but the only gun I have chambered in that isn’t a good long range gun. .223/5.56 seems like overkill to me. Heck once I even used a .30/30… that was really overkill. Best option I’ve found for consistent one-shot kills is a .22 hornet, but I wanted to see what other folks have had success with.

Cheers.

Balancing blast, ballistics, lethality, and cost the .22 Hornet reloaded is hard to beat.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom