• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    Me and a few friends are thinking about doing a weekend trip. I saw someone on here a while back posted about :

http://www.dorseyslodge.com/

Trying to keep travel time down , we were thinking about the East coast only and the Carolina's as the farthest south.

Anyone input would be great

jtarpley59

live free or die
    Jan 6, 2010
    Churchton
    You looking for more people to go. Because I might be interested in it with a buddy of mine. What do you hunt boars with anyway.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    What do you hunt boars with anyway.

Hm, depends on the boar - if it is the US "wild pig" variant they might be dropping easier. If it is the Eurasian (Russian) variant, they take some damage before dropping. Plan on using the same caliber as for Elk and have bullets with some penetration as the skin and muscle on these animals is really hard to get through.

Pictaker

Mar 7, 2008
    Central MD
    I have a friend who owns 3000 acres in the Czech Republic, the Russian Boar is considered a varmint with no specific season.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    ... the Russian Boar is considered a varmint with no specific season.

Same consideration for Germany although they do have seasons. If you have some of these in a corn field, the farmer is more or less going nuts. You get one of the hunting party to chase the boars (bird bangers work great for that), the rest is sitting in treestands overlooking the field borders and waiting for the food to come out.
    Just to comment on the 7.5 swiss - I hit one good with a 7.5 softpoint and it still managed to come in my direction although both lungs were gone. Please be careful when shooting wild boar!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    While I know people do it, I've yet to feel need to bring a knife to a Boar fight. Do prefer large cal revolvers, once also used .357 lever action for part of task.
    The linked places seem to be more of deer/ all around hunting preserves.
    I have been to TN and Northern PA . While I went to another, it's been enough years I'd have to check up on them before giving current nod.
    But the longest running , most popular Boar hunting preserve in PA, if not east coast is Tioga.

Oliveralan

Nov 18, 2009
    McLean, Virginia
    Feral pigs are my #1 favorite animal to hunt. I've hunted them in WV, Texas, and Germany. The more Russian boar they have in them, rule of thumb the harder they are to kill, and the more violent they are when hit. I almos always carry a handgun for backup when moving in on a "dead" hog.

I hunted with mountain meadow hunting preserve in WV and it's decently priced for a high fence east coast hunt. They (and almost all other outfitters) claim they have "a lot of Russian blood" these hogs are pretty gnarly looking but nothing like the ones in Europe. If you shave one of these they look very similar to a pen piggie.
    If you want to shoot hogs on the east coast you will pay for it. About $450 a piece is the lowest. In Texas 300 a day was all inclusive and unlimited hogs, with a very reputable outfitter.

Another idea i've been playing with is going to TN to the Big South Fork and hunt public land. But that's quite a bit of driving from Va or Md and not guaranteed to even see a hog. But I like doing this kind of hunt, same style of hunting as elk. Lots of glassing and climbing up and down, living from a backpack or base camp.

Let me know with any questions, if your looking for more hunters I am always up for a hog hunt :D

Oliver

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Same consideration for Germany although they do have seasons. If you have some of these in a corn field, the farmer is more or less going nuts. You get one of the hunting party to chase the boars (bird bangers work great for that), the rest is sitting in treestands overlooking the field borders and waiting for the food to come out.
    Just to comment on the 7.5 swiss - I hit one good with a 7.5 softpoint and it still managed to come in my direction although both lungs were gone. Please be careful when shooting wild boar!
    W O W! They are tough little buggers! Great story!

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    Boar hunting around here is a canned hunt, pure and simple. The best opportunity for hogs is in Florida and a distand second is Georgia. I would plan on a couple more days travel time and do that. Hogs are a pest in Florida and can be hunted year round with no hunting license. The only time they fall under game laws are if you hunt them on public hunting areas. Almost any farm or ranch will give you permission to hunt. Aside from doing it on your own, there are many "guides" for this activity and the cost runs from $200 to $300 and is probably worth the cost if you are new at it.

You can shoot them with anything you want to shoot them with. Contrary to popular belief, they are not that hard to kill and you certainly don't need an Elk gun. If you use a rifle or handgun, simply use a heavy well constructed bullet, as they have a tough grisly shield around and behind the shoulders. Having lived in and hunted Florida, I never killed one with a gun, but my son and I killed 22 hogs with longbows and never los one. We hunted on a few different orange groves where the owner usually culled them with a .22 Mag.

Without a doubt, the best part is the meat! You will think you died and went to heaven.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    You can shoot them with anything you want to shoot them with. Contrary to popular belief, they are not that hard to kill and you certainly don't need an Elk gun.
    Without a doubt, the best part is the meat! You will think you died and went to heaven.

OK, I guess we need to compare notes here. First of all, I agree with your opinion on the quality of the meat - they just taste great!
    Considering how difficult it is to kill one.... well, that depends on the age and constitution. Yearlings and smaller less well-fed ones are rather easy to take down. If you get one of the older males or a capital female they are quite resilient to being shot and we have had to track them for some distance if they ran away (and did not come for the hunter), even though the shots were well-placed. To my understanding, the Florida wild boars are somewhat lighter built than most of their European counterparts (probably more like the ones from southern Spain) and have also significant crossover with domestic pigs (see hogzilla), so I would guess they are easier to kill. Why don't we just say pack the heavy artillery and be glad if it was not necessary?

Considering the aggressiveness of European wild boars read this
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,539289,00.html

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    It's an animal.... it's not the terminator. Shot through the heart or through the lungs and it ain't going very far. Done! Finsihed! On the way to the grill!

Squeeling, snorting and grunting is what a pig does. This does not make him aggressive. It makes him a pig, not a cape buffalo. When cornered they grunt even louder and "might" present a false charge. Yet, many a Florida cracker have killed them with no more than a folding buck knife and help from a Jack Russell Terrier.

I guess though, if you have a vivid imagination, it's perfectly OK to tote around a .375 H&H.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom