• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acwatkins

Aug 29, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    My father purchased a jon boat and trailer a while back when I was a young kid. The trailer didn't come with a title, now that I have something to pull it with id like to get a title for it. Anyone know how to do this or have done this? If I understand I need to say I built it? Any help would be appreciated.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I was under the impression I needed one? maybe not? its only for a 14ft aluminum boat

Check with the MVA.

I believe MD requires a title for anything and you would have to lie that it is a homemade trailer.

Do you have any other titled trailers in MD ? If yes, you would have the option to get Maine plates for the Jon-boat trailer.

It looks like the titling fee for MD is $100 plus a minimum of $38 in sales tax. 5 year plates from Maine are iirc $90 and the title is $50.

acwatkins

Aug 29, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Check with the MVA.

I believe MD requires a title for anything and you would have to lie that it is a homemade trailer.

Do you have any other titled trailers in MD ? If yes, you would have the option to get Maine plates for the Jon-boat trailer.

unfortunately no, however I did just find an old thread which pretty much verifies that yes ill have to say I built it and fill out forms. I just wanted to verify and see if anyone else has done it and had any advice. Thanks!

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Well, I went thru this very same problem years ago. I went to DMV, related the story about "this" old and untitled trailer, etc etc etc.......DMV issued a new title, and produced a small metal tag with the DMV created "VIN serial number" that I was to affix to the trailer. ( If you can find the original VIN number, it might help.)
    New plate and registration card.
    Problem solved (for me)......

R

acwatkins

Aug 29, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Well, I went thru this very same problem years ago. I went to DMV, related the story about "this" old and untitled trailer, etc etc etc.......DMV issued a new title, and produced a small metal tag with the DMV created "VIN serial number" that I was to affix to the trailer. ( If you can find the original VIN number, it might help.)
    New plate and registration card.
    Problem solved (for me)......

R

did you have to provide any documents for the "cost of materials"?

w2kbr

MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Nope......Just a "Bill of Sale" scribbled on a paper, and the Sale price, and trailer dimensions . The trailer was "road worthy"......

Few years ago, I got an unbuilt trailer (literally, in a box from Harbor Freight).

I built the trailer according to the provided instructions. Went to DMV for Title and registration as a "Home Built" trailer...which it was........DMV baulked at that and said the Trailer was Commercial manufactured, and all I did was put it togeather......

Thing is "Home Built" trailers are cheaper to register and Tag.......Since I did not "manufacture" it, had to pony up bigger bucks.......

DMV works in strange ways.......(when they work, which is not often)

R

w2kbr

MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    You have to get it MD Inspected.

YEP and that's true also...and the requirements have changed....used to be that you needed Stop and Tail, and tag lites......couple of reflectors for the side/rear.......

Now a days, they also require real side marker lights in the Front end sides, and the rear sides......real PITA.....means more wiring, of course.......

Overall cost wb : rehab costs to get it up to regs., than Title, tags, and registration, and Sales and Use tax........

MD does not care what size trailer you have, it has to be tagged and registered,
    IIRC.......small boat/utility trailer...abt $52.00 every 2 years......

Cost to inspect, kinda at the mercy of the inspection station, but I think MD has put a limit on what they can charge.....and most of them go right to the limit..

R

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Mainetrailerregistrations.com

no title needed if the trailer is under a certain weight and age. 5 year semipermenant tags. $90.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    just got off the phone with these guys. seems pretty easy and cheap. ill be going this route

You are only allowed to operate an out of state trailer in MD if you also have a MD registered trailer. At least that is how I understand

Maryland Transportation Section 13-402
    (f) A trailer or semitrailer operated in intrastate service need not be registered in this State if:
    (1) It is registered in another state;
    (2) The truck tractor or other vehicle that is towing it is registered in this State; and
    (3) The registered owner of the truck tractor or other towing vehicle has at least one trailer or semitrailer registered in this State for each truck tractor also registered in this State.

I am never really sure whether this only applies to commercial operations or whether a private owner can rely on this.

Last edited:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    There is actually a legal proceeding for this called a Writ of Mandamus. I looked into it 4 years ago for a trailer my brother bought at the beginning of the millennium. He failed to title it at the time he bought it and he lost the bill of sale. So, things get a lot harder at the MVA.

One of these days, I'll get around to drafting the Writ and filing it for him. However, it looks like it would take less effort for him to buy a much cheaper trailer, register that with Maryland, and then register the other trailer in Maine. I'm going to have to toss this around a little.

OP, if you ever get your issue resolved, please let me know how you went about it. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom