• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drnknmnky13

Nov 12, 2011
    Baltimore
    I tried searching here, and even google. I can't really find anything that says if I can carry a bow and arrow in my vehicle legally. I don't want to walk around with one as I'm pretty sure that would cause me too many issues even if it was legal.

Basically I'd like to keep one with the bug out bag. I was thinking an unstrung bow with a quiver of arrows would probably be OK with most normal cops in the district. Although ideally I'd like to keep a strung compound bow in the trunk with the quiver. Maybe the quiver on the floor in the backseat.

I plan to ask some DC cop friends, but figured I'd kick the questions in here first.

Thanks

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    There is no law anywhere in the US saying a non-felon can't carry archery equipment in a car's trunk.

The only regulation I have ever seen that would come close to affecting this is on guarded and fenced federal property. 18 USC § 930 prohibits possession of "dangerous weapons" at federal facilities, and requires that such properties post conspicuous notice of such restrictions. Several such signs I have seen list "archery equipment" among the list of weapons. But that is the only time I think it would be a problem.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    From maryland DNR

Crossbows, slingshots, and bows and arrows must be enclosed in a case or unstrung or carried in the trunk of a vehicle.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    You can have one in your car in d.c. No law against it, but I'd keep it in the trunk.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    DC criminal code doesn't address it, I've looked before. MPDC's advice about keeping it covered is wise. I assume it is not addressed because there is no hunting allowed in DC, therefore no hunting code to address it.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    DC criminal code doesn't address it, I've looked before. MPDC's advice about keeping it covered is wise. I assume it is not addressed because there is no hunting allowed in DC, therefore no hunting code to address it.

Besides guns and the weapons listed in the PPA statute your fine. With that being said its all how you use the weapon if you get in an argument and pull it out of your trunk and aim it at the guy, well your in trouble. If your driving around and it's in your trunk your fine.

Drnknmnky13

Nov 12, 2011
    Baltimore
    Besides guns and the weapons listed in the PPA statute your fine. With that being said its all how you use the weapon if you get in an argument and pull it out of your trunk and aim it at the guy, well your in trouble. If your driving around and it's in your trunk your fine.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I'm certainly not planning on using a bow for self defense (unless zombies happen).

I keep a bug out bag in my car. When I lived in PA I kept a break down .22 rifle in the bag. But now I live in MD and work in DC. No way am I risking having a firearm in the car in DC. SO figured keeping a bow in there would be a good compromise.

Thanks for the help guys.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    That's pretty much what I was thinking. I'm certainly not planning on using a bow for self defense (unless zombies happen).

I keep a bug out bag in my car. When I lived in PA I kept a break down .22 rifle in the bag. But now I live in MD and work in DC. No way am I risking having a firearm in the car in DC. SO figured keeping a bow in there would be a good compromise.

Thanks for the help guys.

Again boss if you wish to do the research yourself look at the PPWA statute which is specific banned weapons. PPWB is another code you might want to read but it deals with unprohibited weapons where there is specific intent (so if you behave like a normal citizen it won't apply)

Just don't come to fort DuPont park dressed in camo with a tree stand in the truck :)

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Under the section outlining penlalties for fishing/hunting states that equipment is to be seized and sold at auction with proceeds going to DC gov't, applying to both fishing and archery. I'd leave it in he trunk ad don't even take it out if a squirrel is around.

Drnknmnky13

Nov 12, 2011
    Baltimore
    Again boss if you wish to do the research yourself look at the PPWA statute which is specific banned weapons. PPWB is another code you might want to read but it deals with unprohibited weapons where there is specific intent (so if you behave like a normal citizen it won't apply)

Just don't come to fort DuPont park dressed in camo with a tree stand in the truck :)

Thanks for the info. Sometimes knowing WHAT to look up is the tough part. I'll research PPWA and PPWB.

No hunting in DC unless you're a politician. Got it. :thumbsup:

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Do not leave a bow strung and stored in a hot (temperature interior) of a car or trunk. You'll ruin the limbs.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    He's in the Toyota Prius with A Con. flag on the roof.:tongue01:

I thought i had seen him somewhere before
    DukesPrius.jpg

white rabbitt

Feb 27, 2013
    I tried searching here, and even google. I can't really find anything that says if I can carry a bow and arrow in my vehicle legally. I don't want to walk around with one as I'm pretty sure that would cause me too many issues even if it was legal.

Basically I'd like to keep one with the bug out bag. I was thinking an unstrung bow with a quiver of arrows would probably be OK with most normal cops in the district. Although ideally I'd like to keep a strung compound bow in the trunk with the quiver. Maybe the quiver on the floor in the backseat.

I plan to ask some DC cop friends, but figured I'd kick the questions in here first.

Thanks

Unless your crossbow is semi automatic it is not illegal in D.C.. just saying

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Here's a question...

Are there any laws/restrictions against shooting a crossbow in a public park (in Baltimore county, for example), assuming it's otherwise safe to do so? (Far enough away from houses, adequate backstop, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom