Boy ... Classic REALLY just pi$$ed me off!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Forgetting whether or not you were rude, etc., $15 TO CHANGE AN ORDER?!? What kind of BS is that? You all know my story with SOG - bought a Romanian Tok, took it to the range and out a few rounds through it, wouldn't feed right, called and they gave me a new one no questions asked, shipped in their dime. As long as SOG has what I want, I'm ordering from SOG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOG also takes hand pick seriously. I always love what I get from SOG.

I purchased two Mosins from Classic, picked HP for both, and they sent me two rifles that did not have HP on the box and whose nums didn't match. They refunded my HP fee when I complained, but I would have much rather had hand picked rifles.

DrCatt

A Knight Without Armor
    Mar 11, 2013
    Carroll County
    Classic can be a little rough around the edges, but everyone I've talked to has been easy to deal with for the most part. With that being said, SOG is still the C&R King in my book.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Any company that charges ANYTHING simply to correct an entry on an order is never getting any business from me.

Their website is an amateurish hack job, anyway - and I can totally believe what you said happened.

mossy33oak

Nov 29, 2011
    Curl Cowty
    My only complaint with classic was when I ordered my pu sniper. I explained to the gentleman that I had a '43 collection going and begged to get a '43 pu. He basically flat out refused and sent me a '44

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I agree about SOG. Besides them sending me a "your product is now in stock" email EVERY night at exactly 12:15am for the last month, with every product they currently have in stock, they are always great!

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Classic does have an active account on this forum. Maybe they'll see this and offer a reply. I am interested to see.

I had an issue with them back when they changed over their computer system a few years ago. My newly-purchased P-64 just shot it's 4th round when the slide blew off downrange. They offered to replace the gun. After about 3 months of 'it's been shipped' and the final 'it was shipped yesterday' I finally pushed them hard enough to get the lady to admit it was sitting there and 'I'll get it shipped tomorrow'. I demanded, and got, a refund.

I mentioned the issue here on the forum and the owner contacted me--over a year later. His line of questioning lead me to believe he was under the false assumption that I was both shipped a replacement AND received a refund and was inquiring about THAT, so we I had to defend that position for 45 mins on the phone. After all that, he offered me free shipping on my next order. There wasn't a next order.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Well ... one good thing, I guess, is that it looks like they may have removed the verbage from their Sino-Soviet SKSs that referred to them as "Vietnam era" and used terms that made them sound like they had been in battle.

I hate that they can't just do good business. They had a bad reputation about four years ago, cleaned up their act, and I defended them back then. Now I just don't know ....

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    As someone who works in "customer service" but is an anti-social engineer by trade I can understand both sides of the encounter. It's tough for me to keep a happy face on when dealing with folk who are less than civil. And I'm human so I do have bad days, struggling to be as upbeat as possible then it feels like the weight of the world is on your shoulders. No excuse, just reality.
    That said, I'm shocked at the $15 change order charge. It's something my company has never considered and is certainly atypical. I can understand the internal cost to "fix" an order, it doesn't happen for free as far as the company's bottom line is concerned. Get enough of these and it can have a real impact on profitability. However, your order system is the first line of defense against this. If it's flawed then passing the cost on to your customer isn't going to help with repeat business.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I've never bought anything from Classic, and I certainly never will now that this is like the 3rd or 4th time I've heard a very bad review of their service. Nothing lost to me though, I've had great ordering experiences from SOG, AIM, J&G, etc. They've earned my continued business. :thumbsup:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    My job also involves dealing with the public, and sometimes with people who are very upset. Ironically, I also am responsible for an extensive series of websites that people need to be able to navigate without becoming lost, confused, or frustrated. I realize that there's no way to make a site perfectly idiot-proof, but I also know that ... for whatever reason ... when someone contacts us with a problem, no matter the cause, the absolute worst response that you can give them is to start blaming them for the problem.

One thing I learned early in my career in the Internet (before it was the Internet) is that there has to be a first call about a problem your system is having. If you dismiss every call as user error, you pi$$ off your customers and you don't fix the problem.

I also have enough experience designing, building, and supervising user-friendly websites that I know when one isn't working correctly. Maybe that's why it grates on me so much when someone at a business, who almost certainly doesn't know HTML from Sanscrit, starts piling onto me about not knowing how to use their website.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    FOLLOWUP:

I received the Rom Tok today, not being sure what to expect. The inner package looked like one corner had been dipped in oil. The holster that was included was in pretty sad shape. That wouldn't have been a big deal, because it had some writing inside the flap (and I like that stuff), but it was so oil-soaked that I doubt I'll ever be able to make out what the writing says.

But, for the most import part, the 1953 gun appears to be in outstanding condition ... except for the billboard import mark that PW Arms felt they had to dot-matrix engrave on it (not Classic's fault). I hope that it still looks as good when I've wiped it down. It looks like it was dipped in 50WT motor oil ... which is probably what leaked all over the holster.

I haven't tried to cycle it, but hope there's no problem with that--I don't expect one. With hand-select and shipping, it ended up at the door for $265.55. I'm happy with the gun, overall, but not with the BS that I had to deal with to simply get the right address put onto the order.

Last edited:

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    Ive ordered a lot from them over past 2 years and last year one order got messed up where they had the billing address correct but they generated a shipping label for another C&R holder in my town. Turns out it was the C&R guy on file right below me. I KNOW I chose correctly and my confirmation email was correct but their system changed it at some point after that, maybe when the shipping label was generated. I called just in time for them to stop the shipment from going out they corrected it. Didnt charge me a fee but the did remind me to make sure I chose correctly when Picking the FFL from their list. I reminded THEM that my confirmation was correct and maybe they needed to be more careful in where they were sending things.

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    15 bucks to change an order taken by a website huh.

What they won't think of next... I wouldn't deal with a place like that. They're competing with real businesses and won't last long with that kind of policy.

15 bucks to do what??... lol, reminds me of cell phone companies. I've adjusted hundreds of dollars worth of work free of charge to keep a customer. It can easily be much more expensive than that to get a new one.

Along those lines, why is it that so many gun shop employees have such bad attitudes? Not all... in fact I've had extremely awesome experiences with several shops and have no intention of naming names either way, but it seems like discourteous assholes are over-represented in this business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom