• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Looks like a nice one, last one I bought in that condition I gave 600.00 for.

If you got one for $600, Augie, I think you did very well. Most of these are more like $700 - $800 in really good shape

The Aug-man is right about Japanese barrels fitting the older Belgium guns. The better steel in the Japanese guns plus the tubes allow steel shot. All that said, I have a pretty good buddy who shoots steel for waterfowl all the time in his Belgium Mag 12 to no apparent ill effect. Not saying I would (because I wouldn't), but some do. Don't even consider that if the shotgun has a full choke.

In addition to the things Augie told you to look for to see it's a Belgium gun, the barrel should be stamped 'Made in Belgium'.

Some of the Japanese guns bring more these days than Belgium guns unless pristine or nearly so due to steel shot compatibility. Nevertheless, for many old timers the Belgian made guns have a certain mystique

mdonzi

mdonzi
    Feb 26, 2010
    pasadena
    I just sold a very clean 1972 a5 mag for 750.00. I would think 500.00 to 600.00 would be fair. prices are all over the place at shows. I have many off them and the shoot great. I have a 1964 magnum that I shoot steel out off for the last 20 years and its still taking duck down with it today. better then any new shotgun out there bar none.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    Unless you are buying it as an investment, there are other shotguns better suited for shooting in today's world. This shotgun will not be able to shoot steel shot, so there's no chance of using it while hunting waterfowl. Using it to shoot squirrels would be a little overkill too. Just my opinion, if it's an investment, I'd say maybe, but probably not. If you want to hunt with it, I think you can do better for the same/or less amount of money.
    Just my opinion,
    Jim Smith

I have to agree, the A5 is an interesting example of late 19th century design and early 20th century manufacturing. There have been better choices out there for 50+ years.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I paid $400 for my Light Twelve. The bluing is gone, the barrel was chopped and the furniture refinished. It is, however, a solid shooter and performs like a dream.

If a bubbafied one goes for $400......a decent one should easily get $600-700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom