• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    Basically that I don't know enough about PSA to say whether or not they would perform the way (or close to the way) a top tier manufacturer would (Noveske, DD, KA, etc..) at short distances. Which is what I meant by the "good enough" question. I would love to spend close to 1k for a pistol upper but if PSAs 7-10" pistol upper will perform pretty much the same at the short distances then I'd much rather use the rest of the money elsewhere. From what you are saying it seems like PSA is a good option for a pistol (short distance) upper.

I have had good luck with PSA stuff and have read basically nothing but good things in terms of quality. I have never bought any of their budget brand 'PTAC' as I have heard a lot of bad things about it. For the prices that are offered for the standard and even premium labeled PSA stuff, you really can't beat it.

As for a 10.5" pistol AR, I don't think you will see a direct correlation in dollars to improved performance from PSA to a premium brand. I have 10.5 pistol that I built with a Mid-State Firearms upper. It is just a budget upper I found from a company with good reviews. I built my whole pistol for about $450 and I am very satisfied. It shoots very accurate with a red dot out to 25 yards, better than I expected, I've never shot it any farther. If using for self defense, a handgun can't compare. You aren't going to find any shots longer than 25 yards inside a home so it is more than adequate.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Basically that I don't know enough about PSA to say whether or not they would perform the way (or close to the way) a top tier manufacturer would (Noveske, DD, KA, etc..) at short distances. Which is what I meant by the "good enough" question. I would love to spend close to 1k for a pistol upper but if PSAs 7-10" pistol upper will perform pretty much the same at the short distances then I'd much rather use the rest of the money elsewhere. From what you are saying it seems like PSA is a good option for a pistol (short distance) upper.

I would put PSA's premium stuff up against any of the manufacturers you mentioned at any distance. Like I said, their stuff is made by the same companies that make the stuff for everyone else (including the "top tier" companies that you mentioned).

With AR components, you really, really ought to buy them based on actual features, not on brand. This is because, as I mentioned above, most of the major components for them are only actually manufactured by a few companies, and then they just get marked with the brand of whatever company is the end seller.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For the OP's stated indoor-ish distances of 10-15yds , * anything* that consistantly goes bang will meet that. For grins I'll have to shoot some 10yd groups with an 11.5 upper, using ammo that I know tumbles ( 1:12 twist) , and I'll confidently predict 2 minute of felon groups.

Dead Pirates's 2moa at 100yd scoped groups will be ammo dependent. Plenty of generic ammo is doing good to get close to 2moa from rifles.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Here's my PSA 10.5" keymod. Haven't fired it yet. But I'm sure it'll take care of business between me and 25 yards. Who builds a pistol for moa accuracy?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1477976582550.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1477976582550.jpg
      86.9 KB · Views: 196

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Very nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks! Chad whipped it together for me. Not sure what sight I'm throwing on it. I just had the Bushnell laying around.
    The law tactical folder adds a cool touch. Doing a quick release sling.
    It goes under the LAW folder attachment, but I'm not sure where the best attachment point on the front should be?

Alanbdot

Jul 8, 2013
    I built an AR pistol about a year ago but I did mine in 300 BLK. Its an awesome little shooter and I did a complete upper from Radical Firearms and was very happy with everything. Prices are great too

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Here's my PSA 10.5" keymod. Haven't fired it yet. But I'm sure it'll take care of business between me and 25 yards. Who builds a pistol for moa accuracy?

Blaster229 - What are your impressions of the folding buffer tube conversion. Which one did you buy?

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Blaster229 - What are your impressions of the folding buffer tube conversion. Which one did you buy?

Nevermind...I saw your later post. I struggle with this being worth $200+ so I am interested in your thoughts. There is nothing in MD that prevents using a folding buffer tube on a pistol with a silencer right?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Nevermind...I saw your later post. I struggle with this being worth $200+ so I am interested in your thoughts. There is nothing in MD that prevents using a folding buffer tube on a pistol with a silencer right?

No, there isn't.
    I have to say, this thing is heavy, but is quality. Rock solid, stout, sure. If I didn't need this for a specific purpose, I wouldn't have gotten it.
    I guess you can say it balances out front end weight? But I'm slinging it forward, so no issue for me.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

I am building this for fun - not MOA accuracy, but if someone asks what I would expect for accuracy it would be 2 MOA under ideal conditions. If it's 1.5 or 2.5, meh, who cares.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Now you're getting picky :).

Vastly over simplified answer : You can probably get an extra short to cycle reliably with at least one flavor of ammo. Don't expect it to be reliable with "all" ammo, they will be more sensitive to differences in pressure, and pressure curves even for ammo of same pressure curve.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Get a BCM LPK. If you don't mind the grip, a rock river is also an option. Keymod or MLOK rail. If you don't have several AR's, get extra lowers before the election. Have fun. Save money for cases of ammo.

I built them all except one I'm still collecting upper parts for an optic NM build. I now have "someteen" and being in Alabama I don't need to have a boating accident in the bay.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Is a 7" barrel AR going to cycle reliably?
    I built a 7.5" upper and it worked fine, though I later traded that bbl for another one and went with a 10.5" 223 bbl, as it is much more pleasant to shoot. ;)

The bbl I traded for is a 7" x39 bbl that now resides on a pistol build that runs great, though a little obnoxious.. lol

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Is a 7" barrel AR going to cycle reliably?

My 7.5 inch has never given me a problem. It is fairly accurate and will stay on target reliably out to 100 yards. (6 inch groups) Here's a pic, the Eotech has been replaced with an Aimpoint ACO.

Attachments

• 20130802_212946.jpg
      20130802_212946.jpg
      75.2 KB · Views: 126

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads