• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    No, not for me, I am a MD resident and I know Federal law prohibits that.

A business associate, who is a VA resident, wants to buy a handgun. I can offer him technical advice and let him shoot one of my handguns but I do not know what the rules are for buying in VA? 4473, money and valid drivers license? I believe he lives near Alexandria or Fairfax. Any local laws to be aware of? Any transport laws?

backnblack

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2009
    1. Visit a licensed and registered firearms dealer in the state of Virginia if you are over the age of 18.

2. Determine the firearm you want to purchase. If you want to purchase more than one firearm in one month, you must apply for a Multiple Handgun Purchase Certificate with the Virginia State Police first. ** the multiple purchase law has been repealed, as of Feb 29, 2012.

3. Discuss your firearm selection with the dealer and provide 2 proofs of identity.
    The main proof of identity must be a unexpired vehicle operator's license with photo or any other identification that has been provided by the government.
    The ancillary means of identification must match the identity of the person that appears on the photo ID. An example of an acceptable ancillary form of ID is a current passport, a utility bill, or a current voter registration card.

4. Agree to a background check by signing the necessary consent form.

5. Pay a small processing fee if you are a Virginia resident. The fee is slightly higher for out-of-state residents.

6. Wait for the dealer to enter your information in the computerized National Instant Background Check System (NICS). If the dealer does not have access to the Internet, the dealer will call NICS directly. NICS will investigate your criminal history (if any) in as little as 2 minutes by accessing state and national criminal databases. If approved, the purchase of the firearm will be completed. If you do not receive approval, the purchase will be delayed until further review of your profile.

vafish

Mar 13, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    You have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from a dealer. You can purchase a handgun at 18 from a private party.

I've never seen a dealer enter information into nics or call nics. Nics is the instant check system run by the FBI. In VA the background check is done by VA state police over the phone.

One gun a month was over turned as of 1 July 2012. (the date the law became effective)

Basically VA resident 2 forms of ID (3 for assualt weapon as defined by VA law)

Pay your money, dealer calls vasp, if background check passes immeadiately take gun home with you. Vasp has been delaying a lot of instant checks, mine always take a few hours for some reason.

No real carry issues, if he carrying concealed he needs a permit, we are shall issue. Open carrry is legal. Unloaded in a container is legal, loaded in your car in a container is legal.

VA state police have lots of info on their web site. http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm/

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Interesting about the two and three forms of ID.

Thanks for the info. Should see the guy in the next few days.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    With a VA CCW permit, not even a background check.

Interesting. I'll have to find where that law is cited, so that I can use it. I've been "called in" on my last three purchases, even though the dealer knows that I have a CCW permit.

On other notes:

VA background check = $2 for residents and $5 for non-residents.

Limit on one-per-month handgun purchases revoked effective July 1 of this year.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    With a VA CCW permit, not even a background check.

was this effective 7/1 or recently? last gun i bought a few months ago the ffl didn't call in the background check as i have a ccw, but then state police checked her books and i had to come back in and do forms again and background check.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    No I don't believe so.

You still need a background check in VA even if you have a CHP.

Yep ... this is what I want to verify. What I was referring to being effective as of July 1 of this year is the repeal of the one-per-month limitation on handgun purchases. Prior to that, there were a couple of ways to get around the limitation, including having a VA CCW permit, being in law enforcement, and a couple of other technicalities. BY VA LAW you should have been able to buy more than one C&R-classified firearm a month (even without the C&R), but the woman who has been in charge of that department of the VA State Police decided to interpret the law differently than it was written. Since the law was on its way out anyway, I didn't push the issue.

I've not heard anything about not needing a background check if you have a CCW. That may be true, but I'd be interested to see it in the statutes.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've not heard anything about not needing a background check if you have a CCW. That may be true, but I'd be interested to see it in the statutes.

That USED to be true. One guy with a restraining order purchased a firearm without the check because no one pulled his carry permit. Now we all have to pay :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom