• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Person in state A has a C&R and he wants to sell a C&R rifle to a person, not a C&R holder, who is a resident of state B, but currently visiting in state A.

Legal or do standard sale between residents of two different states laws come into effect?

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curios-relics.html#out-of-state-sale

Wrong, the sale is legal.

Q: Can a licensed collector sell a curio or relic shotgun or rifle to a nonlicensed resident of another State?
    Yes. A licensed collector is specifically authorized to sell a curio or relic shotgun or rifle to a nonlicensed resident of another State so long as 1) The purchaser meets with the licensee in person at the licensee’s premises to accomplish the transfer, sale, and delivery of the rifle or shotgun; and 2) The sale, delivery, and receipt of the rifle or shotgun fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States.

[27 CFR 478.96 (c)(1)]

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

Q: Can a licensed collector sell a curio or relic shotgun or rifle to a nonlicensed resident of another State?
    Yes. A licensed collector is specifically authorized to sell a curio or relic shotgun or rifle to a nonlicensed resident of another State so long as 1) The purchaser meets with the licensee in person at the licensee’s premises to accomplish the transfer, sale, and delivery of the rifle or shotgun; and 2) The sale, delivery, and receipt of the rifle or shotgun fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States.

[27 CFR 478.96 (c)(1)]

Good job kalister1.:thumbsup:

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl

[27 CFR 478.96 (c)(1)]

This is C&R law that was quoted, Does MD law allow it?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    This is C&R law that was quoted, Does MD law allow it?

Interstate firearm transactions are federally regulated, so I think only a prohibition on ownership within the recipient's state would nix the transaction. Only those pistols listed as "assault pistols" by Maryland are prohibited in the state (except, I believe, by people who grandfathered them in.). Sales going out of Maryland, would depend on the legality of ownership in that state (and local jurisdiction).

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    The law quoted only covers Long guns, it does not reference Pistols.
    Remember that a C&R is an FFL-03, so when the law says a licensed individual the C&R counts.

warehouse

Mar 30, 2009
    Only if State B is Adjoining

Only if state B is adjoining Maryland:

Maryland: Residents of Maryland can purchase non-regulated (shotguns and
    non-assault style rifles) long guns in the states of
    Pennsylvania, Virginia, Delaware and West Virginia.

Residents of PA, VA, DE and WV can purchase non-regulated
    long guns in Maryland.
    (MD Code 5-204:5-123;124)

Person in state A has a C&R and he wants to sell a C&R rifle to a person, not a C&R holder, who is a resident of state B, but currently visiting in state A.

Legal or do standard sale between residents of two different states laws come into effect?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Interstate firearm transactions are federally regulated, so I think only a prohibition on ownership within the recipient's state would nix the transaction. Only those pistols listed as "assault pistols" by Maryland are prohibited in the state (except, I believe, by people who grandfathered them in.). Sales going out of Maryland, would depend on the legality of ownership in that state (and local jurisdiction).

Adherence to home state firearm regulations during a purchase is actually written into federal law. There's a section of the GCA that requires you to comply with your own state's regulations when buying a firearm out of state.

That's the reason a MD resident can't buy a MD regulated long gun out of state to bypass the MSP ppw/7-day wait for instance, or why an Illinois resident can't go to buy a long gun in Indiana without his FOID.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Only if state B is adjoining Maryland:

Maryland: Residents of Maryland can purchase non-regulated (shotguns and
    non-assault style rifles) long guns in the states of
    Pennsylvania, Virginia, Delaware and West Virginia.

Residents of PA, VA, DE and WV can purchase non-regulated
    long guns in Maryland.
    (MD Code 5-204:5-123;124)

No, this is incorrect. The law you quote merely states you can purchase in those adjoining states. It does not prohibit you from purchasing in others.

I know it sounds odd. It helps to understand the background behind that section for this to make sense. That section was written before FOPA was passed in 1986, when a state had to specifically list in law any other states where one of its residents could buy a long gun. It has since become obsolete but has never been taken off the books.

PS-IANAL!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom