• Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Good news! However, I'd hate to see Maryland's version of appeasing the 2A crowd be to allow unloaded carry.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Great news and surprising to me. I thought this one was a done deal.

Happy to be wrong. I doubt CA is suddenly getting 2A-friendly. More likely terrified of upsetting some voters right before the biggest election in years (state and federal). I'm sure Jerry Brown really did not want to answer questions on this one.

But just maybe it is a small awakening...???

The irony is that CA is now at the vanguard of 2A rights, with all the cases ongoing out there. I'd love nothing more than the 9th Circuit to give us what we want. That could send a signal everywhere and end some fights. But I think we're going to end up having to go all the way again.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    The anti-RKBA contingent tried to bring it up again at the last minute, but it failed in a crazy procedural fight.

Here is an article describing those last moments:
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/sep/01/open-carry-ban-falls-short-surprise/
    (...)However, as the final minutes slipped away, Calderon did cut off debate on those bills.

Saldana complained that Calderon had “lost a step” and was outmaneuvered by Republicans.

At one point she was pleading with Calderon, her hands squarely on his chest, almost pushing him backward. Each time he strode off.

“It’s dead,” she said, seconds after the Assembly declared that no more measures, other than urgency bills and budget-related legislation, could be brought up.

Sam Paredes, executive director of Gun Owners of California, was clearly pleased with the tactics Republicans had used to save the day for gun-rights.

“We’ll take victory any way we can get it,” he said. (....)

Wynter

Jul 27, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I grew up in Maryland and have been away for about the last ten years. I lived in CA from 2002 until 2009 and know that the gun laws there are seriously oppressive. There does not seem to be a unifying organization that is pro 2A in the state. This surprises me because outwardly they were very liberal, but San Diego especially is very conservative. Glad we left.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I grew up in Maryland and have been away for about the last ten years. I lived in CA from 2002 until 2009 and know that the gun laws there are seriously oppressive. There does not seem to be a unifying organization that is pro 2A in the state. This surprises me because outwardly they were very liberal, but San Diego especially is very conservative. Glad we left.

That would be CalGuns. Big group responsible for much of the action going on in 2A right now. They have teamed with the SAF and are pushing cases with nationwide implication. Some of their work could help us in MD. CalGuns pushed the first case to get 2A incorporated against the states (though McDonald later settled the matter).

Don't feel bad, though. I lived in CA during those same years (still pay CA income taxes part-time and own a place in LA). You'd have to go looking for them to find them. It's not like the MSM will routinely quote anyone from the group in a gun story. To get the pro-2A side they always interview some gun store owner, rather than risk pointing readers to a statewide group that unifies their views. I think there is an active effort in CA news to make pro-2A people feel isolated.

This explains a lot:

Calderon said he was reluctant to take a drastic step to stop debate, saying “Republicans go crazy” when they do that. Democrats still need Republican votes later this year for a budget deal and other urgency measures and could remember not being able to speak on one of their top priorities, gun control.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    how can an unloaded gun be considered arms?

Good question after recent rulings. I think the Ginsburg definition cited in Heller is going to be quite the mainstay of 2A proceedings for a long, long time:

In Muscarello v. United States, 524 U. S. 125 (1998), in the course
    of analyzing the meaning of “carries a firearm” in a federal criminal statute, JUSTICE GINSBURG wrote that “urely a most familiar meaning is, as the Constitution’s Second Amendment . . . indicate: ‘wear, bear, or carry . . . upon the person or in the clothing or in a pocket, for the purpose . . . of being armed and ready for offensive or defensive action in a case of conflict with another person.’ ”. We think that JUSTICE GINSBURG accurately captured the natural meaning of “bear arms.”

My Emphasis, above.

Note that her definition involved "ready for offensive or defensive action in a case of conflict". Now her opinion there was in the minority dissent at the time, but the case was specifically about the meaning of "transport" when it came to arms, specifically the conditions of required to consider a gun in a car as "transported".

Heller and McDonald essentially affirmed her dissenting opinion as the standard for "bear arms". I think the "ready" adjective is interesting, in that functional guns are always "arms", but at what point is the gun "functional" and "ready"?

The court defined "bear arms". They also defined "keep and bear" as fundamentally inseparable sides of the same coin. It's now up to them to define them as strictly protected. At that point, CA and MD prohibitionist, anti-carry laws can take a long walk off a short pier.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I am shocked... it failed! I am also happy to see common sense prevail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom