• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tenishasc

Oct 23, 2015
    I am looking for recommendations on a dependable lightweight, camping pellet stove that will only be used to boil water for Dehydrated/Ramen meals on backcountry trips. In the past few years I've purchased some cheapies off Amazon that work for about a season and a half but go out for various reasons.
    Not concerned about how fast it'll boil, I'd just like something that can boil up to a liter (or slightly more) at a time and also have an ignitor attached. I've been bouncing back and forth between the various options Jetboil and MSR each offer. Cant decide on the whole stove system Jetboil is best known for vs the MSR pocket rocket-type I've been accustomed to.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    I went with the pocket rocket due to size and weight. The jet boil was just too bulky for me when going on long back country trips.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I've been using a MSR pocket rocket for 10+ years. Small, light, works, starts up easy, with canisters of various sizes readily available just about everywhere.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****I'm actually testing some of my camping stuff out right now. Mostly making sure my tent is still functional and that I can quickly put it up and take it down, pack it, etc.. I use the mini Pocket-Rocket stove style myself and they work really well for me.

I'm going camping this Spring with some of my range friends somewhere in Virginia and these little Pocket-Rockets are good while we are out hiking to make some tea/coffee, or boil some Ramen, heat up a bit of already cooked oatmeal in a small container, etc.. Very very handy and practical device. They have a built in igniter and super easy to adjust flame. The little fuel container lasts a remarkably long time.

IMG_8775.jpg
    IMG_8776.jpg

IMG_8777.jpg

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    I have 1000+ miles of back country hiking logged within our National Park system. For most of them I carried, and still use to this day, this exact setup.

Stove: https://www.snowpeak.com/collections/stoves-grills/products/giga-power-stove-manual-renewed2
    Windscreen: https://www.snowpeak.com/collections/stoves-grills/products/gp-stove-windscreen-gp-008
    4-Season IsoButane: https://www.rei.com/product/668925/snow-peak-gigapower-250-gold-fuel-canister-220g
    Fuel Tripod: https://www.rei.com/product/884004/jetboil-fuel-can-stabilizer
    Pots: https://www.snowpeak.com/collections/cooksets/products/ti-mini-solo-combo-scs-004t
    Spork: https://www.rei.com/product/660002/snow-peak-titanium-spork
    FireSteel: https://lightmyfire.com/us/swedish-firesteel-bio-army-2in1
    Clean-up Tool: https://www.rei.com/product/750412/gsi-outdoors-compact-scraper

I carry the firesteel as I've found piezo auto-igniters aren't 100% reliable above 5k-6k feet in elevation. This setup is very lightweight and offers a good bit of versatility on trail and in-town at well-stocked campgrounds.

Light weight, durability, and reliability were the primary factors in my setup of choice.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I am looking for recommendations on a dependable lightweight, camping stove that will only be used to boil water for Dehydrated/Ramen meals on backcountry trips. In the past few years I've purchased some cheapies off Amazon that work for about a season and a half but go out for various reasons.
    Not concerned about how fast it'll boil, I'd just like something that can boil up to a liter (or slightly more) at a time and also have an ignitor attached. I've been bouncing back and forth between the various options Jetboil and MSR each offer. Cant decide on the whole stove system Jetboil is best known for vs the MSR pocket rocket-type I've been accustomed to.

Thanks!
    If your planning on cooking above the tree line then you'll need alcohol based stove.

If your going some place wooded and think you can find a nice supply of dry-ish wood then consider one of these wood-gas stoves from TOAKS. I have this one and have been able to boil water in a few minutes from wood I find laying around. My fire starter is a cotton ball unraveled and coated with petroleum jelly. I then stuff that into a wide diameter plastic straw. I then seal both ends by crimping with needle nose plyers and applying a flame. This keeps it water proof. I then bring a can of waterproof matches to start it with. As long as you think you can find dry enough wood scraps this is a good choice for hiking.

They also sell a 750ml cup that the whole thing goes into. Very lightweight and easy to set up.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    what's wrong with a wood fire, don't have to carry anything extra? Been doing it for years.

Sometimes the area is wet, and so is the wood.

Sometimes the area is dry, and a no campfire rule might be in effect.

Options are good. Sometimes you might go with only one, and wish you had another.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I've been using one or another of the Trangia alcohol stoves since I was a teen. I've wandered in to multi-fuel & high tech & always end up coming back to the basic one with a simmer ring.
    If you can find a complete one at a non farcical price get the Swede Messkit. It includes one & can also be used as a Hobo stove,or a charcoal burner.
    That & a Blast Match & a bottle of more alcohol & you're golden. You can stash a surprising amount inside it packed for transport.

Attachments

• DSCF9061.JPG
      DSCF9061.JPG
      317.4 KB · Views: 30

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    what's wrong with a wood fire, don't have to carry anything extra? Been doing it for years.
    The Sierra Zip Stove is more like a supercharged rocket stove, with a small fan significantly increasing the heat output in a small area. Ideal for quickly boiling a pot of water using a couple of pine cones or a few sticks. So it's faster and more fuel efficient than a standard wood fire.

Not as good for comaraderie, area heating or warming your hands and backside as a wood fire, but sometime you just want a quick meal before hitting the sack.

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD

Love a wood fire when I can get one going! However, so many of the NPS areas ban wood fires during the summer months. The dry conditions and fire danger can be way to high. For as long as I've been hiking, NPS has banned wood fires over 10k feet out in the Sierra Nevadas.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I have used Optimus multi-fuel (burns anything except propane or butane) and a Snowpeak butane recently. (Dunno the model, but it was an REI cheapo with integrated piezo-electric ignitor.

I like the Optimus because as a package for BTUs to weight, it is the lightest. That said, it is a liquid fuel stove which can be finicky to light and regulate heat on.

The Snowpeak is way more user friendly but there is a weight penalty there. For deep back country work, I'd choose the liquid fuel. One fuel medium bottle lasts me 4 days. For 3 day outings or less I'd choose the butane/propane.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    My friend has this: http://tinyurl.com/ybrxsat8

It has a lithium battery attached to it. The battery runs a small fan that creates a draft. Once the stove is up to temperature, not only can you cook on it but it recharges the battery and you can charge a cell phone or GPS. It'll burn pellets or ordinary wood.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    I swear by the Jetboil. Using it for 20 years or so. You'll be glad you got it.
    The built in wind guard and heatsink saves you bunches of fuel. Can cook in it...igniter excellent, quick, lightweight, insulation sleeve, small footprint if you stuff it, durable, and on and on.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    I have used Optimus multi-fuel (burns anything except propane or butane) and a Snowpeak butane recently. (Dunno the model, but it was an REI cheapo with integrated piezo-electric ignitor.

I like the Optimus because as a package for BTUs to weight, it is the lightest. That said, it is a liquid fuel stove which can be finicky to light and regulate heat on.

The Snowpeak is way more user friendly but there is a weight penalty there. For deep back country work, I'd choose the liquid fuel. One fuel medium bottle lasts me 4 days. For 3 day outings or less I'd choose the butane/propane.
    Regular size cheap iso butane last me like 2 weeks. Are you cranking the fuel on high? I always cook at the lowest setting possible unless I'm trying to get rid of a can. Windy environment?
    I use a Jetboil and a snow peak lite max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom