• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blksniper2000

certified lurker
    Jan 31, 2009
    Baltimore/PA area
    If you put a 16" non nfa upper on a nfa ar15 sbr lower can you transport it out of state without a 5320? The question was posed to me recently and I could have swore I read somewhere you could but I'm not 100% sure so I figured I would ask the consensus

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    Wouldn't the serial numbered receiver still be an NFA registered SBR no matter what upper was on it? If it has a Form 1or4 assigned to it, it's an NFA gun. If I have an AOW shotgun and put an 18" barrel on it, its still an AOW per the form 4. I think you need the Form 5320 if your crossing state lines with NFA items. I would call BATFE before you do anything. Better safe then sorry!

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    So I'm ignoarant on NFA but this peaked my interest and since the OP was answered let me ask this.

Can he not transport the SBR out of state?

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Wouldn't the serial numbered receiver still be an NFA registered SBR no matter what upper was on it? If it has a Form 1or4 assigned to it, it's an NFA gun. If I have an AOW shotgun and put an 18" barrel on it, its still an AOW per the form 4. I think you need the Form 5320 if your crossing state lines with NFA items. I would call BATFE before you do anything. Better safe then sorry!

Nope. ATF responded to this question in writing years ago. Its been addressed in the NFA section of MDS a number of times before, and the ATF letter has been posted.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    So I'm ignoarant on NFA but this peaked my interest and since the OP was answered let me ask this.

Can he not transport the SBR out of state?

it depends upon the state. Some states, like Iowa, do not allow ownership of SBRs, or their transport into the state. So ATF will not approve a 5320.20 to that state.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    You can, unless there is a newer letter than this. I remember ATF used to have a segment addressing this question on their but for the life of me can't find it

Attachments

• TransportingAnSBR-1.jpg
      TransportingAnSBR-1.jpg
      76.1 KB · Views: 347
    • ATFLetter-SBR.jpg
      ATFLetter-SBR.jpg
      86.5 KB · Views: 347

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    it depends upon the state. Some states, like Iowa, do not allow ownership of SBRs, or their transport into the state. So ATF will not approve a 5320.20 to that state.

^^^It depends on the state. Same with suppressors and all other NFA items.

Thank you gents. I always fight with getting into the NFA world but there are a ton of rules and these days I mostly shoot inside so I really try to find a reason for a supressor but haven't come up with one yet!!

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Thank you gents. I always fight with getting into the NFA world but there are a ton of rules and these days I mostly shoot inside so I really try to find a reason for a supressor but haven't come up with one yet!!

I'd say shooting inside is a perfect reason to suppress your guns. Its really not that complicated to get into nfa items. Just ask one of us to help guide you. Plus you already know Mike j Greg @ A1. They are a great NFA resource.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I'd say shooting inside is a perfect reason to suppress your guns. Its really not that complicated to get into nfa items. Just ask one of us to help guide you. Plus you already know Mike j Greg @ A1. They are a great NFA resource.

By that you 100% mean enablers!!!!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes you may, but also leave your AR Pistol at home.

Supressors and AOW do not require Form 20 , but please verify for yourself legality at destination and all intermeadate areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom