Can't buy long guns out-of-state anymore?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They stopped doing it when tens of thousands of customers pointed out that their employees could target gun owners based on the information kept in those logs. That and the fact that the same customers refused to ever shop at Wal-Mart until they reversed their decision.

Wal-Mart is not as noble as you have put forth.

It was about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!

Excuse me, but you are WRONG.

It is about the LAW. From 1968 - 1986 the Federal LAW required ALL sellers of ammunition to keep a log of every handgun ammunition sale. EVERY ONE.

And ALL firearms sales are recorded if the purchase if from a a DEALER. Walmart, Dick's, Clyde's, Shooter's Discount, etc. IT IS FEDERAL LAW THAT THEY MUST.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That's not an interstate sale. By interstate I mean the sale starts in one state and finishes in another. Your example had the entire transaction starting and finishing in the same state. Also, I'm sure the selling shop ran the NICS check at their location before completing the sale.

That IS an interstate sale. Where the two parties are from different states. Either by residence or by business location.

You are right, every interstate sale has to go through an FFL. But LONG gun sales do NOT required the FFL to be in the buyer's state. Handgun sales do.

You can walk into any gun store (FFL) in the US and they MAY sell you any long gun that is not banned in MD (assuming you are an MD resident). MAY means the law allows it, but they don't HAVE to sell it to you. It is their business and they can do what they want, as long as it is legal.

But if you want to buy a handgun, the seller must transfer it to an MD FFL where you complete the transaction.

RugerFan

Jul 18, 2013
    Silver Spring
    update: Clark Bros. in Warrenton, VA said they will not sell any gun, long or not, unregistered or not, to any MD residents.

Not even shipped to a MD FFL.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Any word on out of state dealers refusing to sell (face to face) to Maryland C&Rs? (Besides SARCO -- we all know about them). I've run across a number that won't sell to C&Rs by mail.

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    Are any of you Type A guys keeping a list of places we should boycott? Lazy a$$es like me would appreciate it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

sigs4me

Sep 19, 2009
    Out of state long gun sales

You can not buy a long gun out of state if that state is not named virginia ,West Virginia ,Pennsylvania ,or Delaware ... End of story. 2010 Maryland Code
    PUBLIC SAFETY
    TITLE 5 - FIREARMS
    Subtitle 2 - Rifles and Shotguns
    Section 5-204 - Purchasers of rifles or shotguns.
    § 5-204. Purchasers of rifles or shotguns.

(a) "Adjacent state" defined.- In this section, "adjacent state" means Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, or West Virginia.
    (b) Resident of this State in adjacent state.- If a resident of this State is eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun under the laws of an adjacent state, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed gun dealer in the adjacent state.
    (c) Resident of adjacent state in this State.- If a resident of an adjacent state is eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun under the laws of this State, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed gun dealer in this State.

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, §§ 481A, 481B; 2003, ch. 5, § 2.]
    Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.

Seth

Sep 17, 2013
    You can not buy a long gun out of state if that state is not named virginia ,West Virginia ,Pennsylvania ,or Delaware ... End of story. 2010 Maryland Code
    PUBLIC SAFETY
    TITLE 5 - FIREARMS

(a) "Adjacent state" defined.- In this section, "adjacent state" means Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, or West Virginia.
    (b) Resident of this State in adjacent state.- If a resident of this State is eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun under the laws of an adjacent state, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed gun dealer in the adjacent state.
    (c) Resident of adjacent state in this State.- If a resident of an adjacent state is eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun under the laws of this State, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed gun dealer in this State.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.

Is this an affirmative defense? Has anyone been prosecuted for this?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    PUBLIC SAFETY
    TITLE 5 - FIREARMS

WRONG.

That is a hold over from GCA 68 which only allowed long gun purchases in an adjacent state, IF the person's state of residence allowed that.

49 states have similar provisions that allowed adjacent state purchases. But in 1986, that provision of the GCA 86 was repealed and since then you can buy in any other state, as long as it is not a handgun or prohibited from purchase in your state of residence.

The code you cite does not prohibit purchases from other states, it just allows purchases in adjacent states. It says MAY PURCHASE, not may ONLY purchase.

If you read the thread, you will see many references to people purchasing out of state and not in adjacent states.

sigs4me

Sep 19, 2009
    I did read the thread! If you read the law you will see that you can't! People buy drugs all the time but that dose not make it legal!!!

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    I did read the thread! If you read the law you will see that you can't! People buy drugs all the time but that dose not make it legal!!!

That's funny...In the past five years I have purchased long guns in KY, IN, NH gun shops, and most recently in a Maine gun shop; "none of those states border MD". The only mention of MD was the sales person at Kittery Trading Post in Maine, mentioning how sorry he felt for me having to live in MD. My response was; "better than living in MA or NY"...He just laughed and processed my paperwork.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    just got off the phone with palmetto state armory and they will not ship the m&p 15-22 to md, I then asked if they could send the magazine to my west Virginia address they have on file they said if it gets shipped to md address then it will get kicked back and charged 10 percent restocking fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom