• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbarrows32

Golf Guru
    Feb 25, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I have been using my fathers 30-06 loads for my remington 7600 carbine for a long time but had to get some range so I purchased a 700 varmint in .308 for when we venture out west. (.75 moa 400-600 yards would be acceptable)

I will be solely responsible for the new caliber and he has a Dillon 550 from the 80's.

I have purchased the neck sizing die as well as the crimp. (I also have the full size die but don't intend to use it because I already have 80 Remington brass already fired from my rifle.

Also purchased:
    1. dedicated powder funnels
    2. shell holders
    3. a few range boxes with labels
    4. barnes ttsx 168 grain ballistic tip

He has the tumbler, lube, neck trimmer as well as the tools to finish the primer pocket and neck.

I will be hand-loading all of the powder but was curious if you guys recommend an electronic scale instead of his scale from way back when?

Also, any cost effective solution to case sizing brass other than shooting it from my particular gun. It is expensive to buy the bullets only to shoot and reload with what I really intend to use in the field. I guess i could buy inexpensive bullets...load them in Remington brass...shoot them...and reload with the Barnes.

This forum has been a huge help and I wish you all a prosperous new year!

load suggestions for hunting?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Electronic scales have issues with anything/everything in the environment. A beam scale is not affected by the environment, nor does it require batteries to function. Stay with the beam scale.

If you want me to teach you the fast and easy way to load on a 550, while running it as a single stage press, let me know.

jcass

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 21, 2012
    gambrills , maryland
    I want to start reloading but have no idea where to start, I want to jump in with both feet so to speak. I know I want a loader that does it all and I want to do rifle and pistol calibers.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    BTW, most long range rifle guys are full length sizing every firing. But they adjust the die to just bump the shoulder back by 1 - 2 thousandths.

Especially good for hunting, as you do NOT want a round that does not chamber easily.

No need to crimp the rounds. And if the bullets do not have a cannelure, the should NOT be crimped. The groove in the Barnes TSX bullets are not crimping cannelures, and may not line up with the case mouth when the bullets are seated to the proper depth.

As was mentioned, I also prefer a mechanical scale. Electronic ones do drift, some are affected by fluorescent lights, they need batteries, and you need to calibrate them.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I have been using my fathers 30-06 loads for my remington 7600 carbine for a long time but had to get some range so I purchased a 700 varmint in .308 for when we venture out west. (.75 moa 400-600 yards would be acceptable)

I applaud your enthusiasm, but, you're going to find out (quickly!) that a heavy-barreled rifle is going to be a burden on a hunt, out west, unless you're a young bodybuilder.

Read as - That rifle is going to get HEAVY, quickly.

I echo what the others have said, regarding scales. A GOOD balance beam scale is more reliable than an electronic scale.

My old RCBS 5-10 scale is over 30 years old and is still as accurate as the first time I took it out of the box.

Keep us in the loop about your progress in finding the 3/4 MOA load for 400 to 600 yards!! :thumbsup:

bbarrows32

Golf Guru
    Feb 25, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    BTW, most long range rifle guys are full length sizing every firing. But they adjust the die to just bump the shoulder back by 1 - 2 thousandths.

Especially good for hunting, as you do NOT want a round that does not chamber easily.

No need to crimp the rounds. And if the bullets do not have a cannelure, the should NOT be crimped. The groove in the Barnes TSX bullets are not crimping cannelures, and may not line up with the case mouth when the bullets are seated to the proper depth.

As was mentioned, I also prefer a mechanical scale. Electronic ones do drift, some are affected by fluorescent lights, they need batteries, and you need to calibrate them.

so for a hunting rifle you would prefer a full length for more accurate feeding. Won't the rounds fired from my rifle be perfectly sized? (at least that was my understanding)

If I skip the crimp will my rounds be fragile in the field?

bbarrows32

Golf Guru
    Feb 25, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I applaud your enthusiasm, but, you're going to find out (quickly!) that a heavy-barreled rifle is going to be a burden on a hunt, out west, unless you're a young bodybuilder.

Read as - That rifle is going to get HEAVY, quickly.

I will definitively stick with the mechanical scale! thanks for the input guys...

I maybe should have specified that when I say "out west" I mean private land/minimal walking/box blinds over food plots

bbarrows32

Golf Guru
    Feb 25, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Electronic scales have issues with anything/everything in the environment. A beam scale is not affected by the environment, nor does it require batteries to function. Stay with the beam scale.

If you want me to teach you the fast and easy way to load on a 550, while running it as a single stage press, let me know.

I'm going to give it a go here in a week or so...if I run into any issues I'll shoot you a pm with a video attachment.

I also purchased .40 s&w die set! I had no idea it was so cost effective to reload pistol rounds. Seems like buying in extreme bulk is the key though.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    so for a hunting rifle you would prefer a full length for more accurate feeding. Won't the rounds fired from my rifle be perfectly sized? (at least that was my understanding)

It depends on how much the brass springs back after firing. Some brass will spring back a lot and some will not spring back much at all.

One guy here on MDS did some testing and found a marginal increase in accuracy in neck sizing only, but with a very small sample size. But others have found no difference in accuracy.

Again, what many/most of the long range shooters (shooting at 800 - 1000 - 1200 - 1500 yards and further) are doing is measuring a fired case, and setting the die to move the shoulder back 1 - 2 thousandths. This ENSURES that every round starts the same and will freely chamber.

Especially the competition guys, where a misfeed or stuck round costs time. On a hunt, it could cost you the shot of a lifetime.

And there is little to no decrease in case life, as you are not working the brass much at all.

Neck sizing only is old school.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    BTW, for load development, this works VERY well:

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

Find an accuracy node, they adjust bullet seating for better group size. With a stock Remington throat, you will probably need to load as long as you can fit into the magazine.

3/4 MOA may be possible, but no guarantees with a factory barrel.

bbarrows32

Golf Guru
    Feb 25, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    BTW, for load development, this works VERY well:

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

Find an accuracy node, they adjust bullet seating for better group size. With a stock Remington throat, you will probably need to load as long as you can fit into the magazine.

3/4 MOA may be possible, but no guarantees with a factory barrel.

Thanks pinecone! Just loaded my first 25 so when I get a warm day I'll post a range report.

bbarrows32

Golf Guru
    Feb 25, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Range Report:

Remington Brass
    Winchester Primer
    42-44 Gr. Varget
    Barnes TTSX 168 Gr
    (COAL was 2.8 for all...I dont think I can go any longer and still get rounds in the magazine of my 700)
    I loaded 5 each at 42,42.5,43,43.5,44 gr.

accuracy improved as the powder increased.
    best group was .89" @100 44gr. (no signs of pressure going to load 44.5 and 45 tomorrow)
    worst group was 1.35" @100

Last edited:

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Range Report:

Remington Brass
    Winchester Primer
    42-44 Gr. Varget
    Barnes TTSX 168 Gr
    (COAL was 2.8 for all...I dont think I can go any longer and still get rounds in the magazine of my 700)
    I loaded 5 each at 42,42.5,43,43.5,44 gr.

accuracy improved as the powder increased.
    best group was .89" @100 44gr. (no signs of pressure going to load 44.5 and 45 tomorrow)
    worst group was 1.35" @100
    Once you settle on a powder weight play with bullet seating depth to bring the grouping tighter.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    0.5 grain steps are a bit much for OCW. You can miss an accuracy node.

I found in my 700 action/factory barrel, I ended up seating them as long as possible to mag feed for accuracy. I started 0.020 under book and worked out to max that would fit in the mag. And the groups just got tighter and tighter.

Also, remember shoot round robin to average out fouling and heating factors.

bbarrows32

Golf Guru
    Feb 25, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    0.5 grain steps are a bit much for OCW. You can miss an accuracy node.

I found in my 700 action/factory barrel, I ended up seating them as long as possible to mag feed for accuracy. I started 0.020 under book and worked out to max that would fit in the mag. And the groups just got tighter and tighter.

Also, remember shoot round robin to average out fouling and heating factors.

Do you know what the longest COAL is for a 700 box mag? 2.8 fits and 2.9 doesn't but if you know what the number is it would save me some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom