Cargill v Garland (5th Circuit Bump Stock Case)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    The 5th Circuit has taken Cargill v Garland en banc (full court). The oral arguments have been scheduled for 13 Sept.

Cargill has filed a supplemental brief

They did not cite the WV v EPA decision in their supplemental brief.
    So it comes down to Rule of Lenity and Standard Statutory Construction vs. Chevron Deference and Gunz R Bad, M'Kay.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    The 5th Circuit has taken Cargill v Garland en banc (full court). The oral arguments have been scheduled for 13 Sept.

Cargill has filed a supplemental brief

They did not cite the WV v EPA decision in their supplemental brief.
    I haven’t had a chance to read the case.

Are they fighting on 2A, 14a reasons or on Chevron deference?

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    I haven’t had a chance to read the case.

Are they fighting on 2A, 14a reasons or on Chevron deference?
    This case is like the Guedes (DC Circuit), GOA (6th Circuit), and Aposhian (10th Circuit). Aposhian and GOA have cert petitions at SCOTUS with Aposhian being rescheduled 20 times.

They all are based on an incorrect interpretation and the rule of lenity vs Chevron deference.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    This case is like the Guedes (DC Circuit), GOA (6th Circuit), and Aposhian (10th Circuit). Aposhian and GOA have cert petitions at SCOTUS with Aposhian being rescheduled 20 times.

They all are based on an incorrect interpretation and the rule of lenity vs Chevron deference.
    Yep Goa and Aposhian are scheduled again for the September 28th conference hearing. I as Well as many others are wondering what they are waiting on. Is there another bump stock case that is better suited to being granted Petition for oral arguments? I think there probably is. Which case it is, is hard to say.

They are very picky about which cases that they actually take especially when they have multiple similar cases to accept. Details in the case are key. As well as WHO the petitioners are as well.

One of the reasons they wanted NYSPrA v Bruen, instead of Young, or even the NJ or MD case is they were itching to give NY a slap after they mooted their case the previous year.

I do know it is NOT good when you piss SCOTUS off. Never a good thing.

Now that being said, and the fact that their are a few other bump stock cases, it will be interesting to see which one they will accept. However a couple of Bump stock cases are on hold pending the GOA, and Aposhian.

We truthfully won’t know anything about what will happen at SCOTUS level until later this year, or even next.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Yep Goa and Aposhian are scheduled again for the September 28th conference hearing. I as Well as many others are wondering what they are waiting on. Is there another bump stock case that is better suited to being granted Petition for oral arguments? I think there probably is. Which case it is, is hard to say.

They are very picky about which cases that they actually take especially when they have multiple similar cases to accept. Details in the case are key. As well as WHO the petitioners are as well.

One of the reasons they wanted NYSPrA v Bruen, instead of Young, or even the NJ or MD case is they were itching to give NY a slap after they mooted their case the previous year.

I do know it is NOT good when you piss SCOTUS off. Never a good thing.

Now that being said, and the fact that their are a few other bump stock cases, it will be interesting to see which one they will accept. However a couple of Bump stock cases are on hold pending the GOA, and Aposhian.

We truthfully won’t know anything about what will happen at SCOTUS level until later this year, or even next.
    Technically neither GOA or Aposhian have been scheduled for the long conference (28 Sept). Both are based on Preliminary Injunctions so I suspect they will not take either case based on the dissent in Guedes. The EPA case WV v EPA did not get released until 30 June, which was after the cleanup conference (29 June). They may be waiting for the next conference to say something related to that case. They may also be waiting to see if the DC circuit does anything with Guedes before deciding what to do with these cases. Rescheduling 20 times seems like they are waiting for something. Time will eventually reveal what that may be.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    Technically neither GOA or Aposhian have been scheduled for the long conference (28 Sept). Both are based on Preliminary Injunctions so I suspect they will not take either case based on the dissent in Guedes. The EPA case WV v EPA did not get released until 30 June, which was after the cleanup conference (29 June). They may be waiting for the next conference to say something related to that case. They may also be waiting to see if the DC circuit does anything with Guedes before deciding what to do with these cases. Rescheduling 20 times seems like they are waiting for something. Time will eventually reveal what that may be.
    Exactly…. They are obviously waiting on something. If they were just going to always deny it without a disent they would ave done so ages ago.

So there is a reason. Same with the GOA. Now sure they haven’t rescheduled or held that one for very long. But they had plenty of time to just deny it at the cleanup conference as well, they could have denied both at cleanup conference. Very easily. However they didn’t, and there is a reason for it. There is another case in the pipeline, that will have some impact on these 2 cases. Which case that is, is only speculation.

We will know something for sure one way or the other before the end of the year. That I feel is certain.

I also believe that they aren’t very happy with the ATF running a much and making the new rules that they are making either. So they are wanting to do something about that. I have a theory that they just haven’t figured out what case to use as the vehicle to put a stop to the ATF doing what it’s doing.

Again there is a reason why it’s been rescheduled so many times.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    The amicus briefs have been filed. They are attached

Attachments

• Cato amicus.pdf
      434 KB · Views: 106
    • Cutonilli amicus.pdf
      243.6 KB · Views: 141
    • Firearms Policy Coalition amicus.pdf
      487.3 KB · Views: 109
    • Firearms Regulatory Accountability Coalition amicus.pdf
      398.7 KB · Views: 108
    • GOA amicus.pdf
      184.2 KB · Views: 80
    • Liberty Justice Center amicus.pdf
      317.6 KB · Views: 97
    • PLF Amicus.pdf
      379.3 KB · Views: 82

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Perhaps those other cases at SCOTUS are being relisted because they want to see what happens with this case?

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Perhaps those other cases at SCOTUS are being relisted because they want to see what happens with this case?
    I think they were relisted because that what happens with cases that were rescheduled at the end of the last term. We will see if they keep rescheduling these cases

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    The plaintiffs attorney sucks at explaining this. Thankfully, The justices seem to be friendly and are frequently throwing him softballs.

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    Fortunately the gov attorney seems (and admits) to knowing even less.

edit: The judges are 500% more prepared that the gov attorney.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom