• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Looking to start reloading rifle. I'd like to start with 8mm mauser. i have the dies and a bunch of brass from dad. Is there a decent case trimmer that isn't $100? I understand that you get what you pay for, but is there anything in the $30-$40 range that is worth having?

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Opossum hollow trimmer with power adapter.
    Google it.

You will not be sorry.
    I can trim a rifle case in 20 seconds or less.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    lee makes the single trimmers. One for each caliber. Non adjustable, you buy a few parts but at least its consistant. I started to use it for my milsurps, trim and inspect all at the same time.

Or, I have a Lyman Accu trimmer that works for everything. If you are going to do several calibers, and you don't want to keep buying the Lee parts each time, one of these are good I think.

Once I got the Accutrimmer, I stopped buying the Lee trimmers. It I think was about $55 at Basspro or Gander Mt. Don't recall where I got it.

I have a 223 version WFT and its awesome for high volume. One per caliber and not cheap.
    http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I also use the lee case trimmer and chuck the shell holder into a cordless drill. It takes a couple seconds to do a casing. I've done thousands this way.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Ill measure my cases when i get home. The cases i have are like 30 years old and are once fired. Maybe they're not out of spec yet. I know i need a trimmer but if i can get through the first reload without, then ill put that purchase off till next pay.

Rifle powder and projectiles are next as well

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    The least expensive trimmer that I've EVER used (and I've bought/used several!) is the Lee Zip Trim.

I 'splurged' and bought the ball handle for the trimmer. It makes the trimmer much easier to hold onto.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/515804/lee-zip-trim?cm_vc=ProductFinding

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/136199/lee-case-trimmer-cutter-with-ball-grip?cm_vc=sugv1136199

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/25...8x57mm-mauser-8mm-mauser?cm_vc=ProductFinding

This set-up works very well for not-so-large quantities.

Friendly reminder: Since you're just starting to load, the brass needs to be lubed/sized before measuring and trimming.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    If all you want to do is trim some 8mm Mauser cases, then the Lee trimmer & case gage is the cheapest way to go. You need the Lee cutter to go with the trimmer. For about $15 you'll be GTG. Chuck it in a cordless drill as said. You'll trim any cases that are too long quickly. Shining the cases with a little steel wool while they're spinning is simple.

The Lee cutter is a fixed length. Shorter cases won't be uniform with trimmed cases. That's no big deal since the case head spaces on the shoulder.

PS: make sure you de-bur and chamfer the case mouths after trimming.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Just pulled the cases out of the tumbler. I set up the sizer/decapper in the turret. Lubed/decapped/sized. Max case length is 2.240". Mine seem to be around 2.235-2.237. Soy content.

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    I use the giraud case trimmer and get a trim/inside chamfer/outside chamfer in one pass of about 5-7 seconds per case.

anil

Sep 28, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    Once I got the Accutrimmer, I stopped buying the Lee trimmers. It I think was about $55 at Basspro or Gander Mt. Don't recall where I got it.

http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html

I did the opposite. I started with an adjustable Hornady trimmer. It works great, once you dial it in (for each different case). But, then I discovered the Lee trimmers. They're just so much simpler. Even though I need one for each caliber - it isn't like each caliber conversion takes up space, it is a shell holder and a metal stick.

I should probably get the zip-spindle attachment. I'm low-volume, so i usually just crank it by hand with the "ball" style cutters and some vise-grips holding the shell holder.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I use a Forster case trimmer and have for a loong time with great results on all cartridges...

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    This is a nice trimmer. RCBS.

case trimmer 001.jpg

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Nice. Thanks.

8x57 mauser is showing 2 sizes of projectiles. .323 and .318. Am i correct in that a k98 would use the .323?

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Dad for the win again. Heard I was looking for a trimmer, he found his backup and brought it to dinner today. Found some .323 170gr soft points and a pound of 4064 at sportsmans warehouse today. After dinner I was turnin and burnin. I didn't buy anything in bulk, just enough to get me started in 8mm and it worked out to $.38 a round.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      64.8 KB · Views: 198

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    New trimmer it's missing the tips that center the cutter, but still works well

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      81.8 KB · Views: 200

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I use the giraud case trimmer and get a trim/inside chamfer/outside chamfer in one pass of about 5-7 seconds per case.

I just picked up one of these, CRAZY nice!! Did 100 rounds in ten mins and each one is .001", amazing!

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Sweet, glad you got one!

If that has the handle attached the same way as an RCBS, there's a guy on eBay that sells an adapter so you can hook your drill to that type of trimmer. Its cheap and works well.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom