• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    We have heard that there may be instructors who are cheating on doing all the requirements for the carry permit. This will badly backfire in the General Assembly and must stop. If folks know of such instructors please PM me.

Edit: No one at MSI will be reporting anything to the MSP. A word to the wise that MSP is taking this seriously seems appropriate. Otherwise other instructors and students will end up paying a price after the GA is done with us this next session. MSI has enough on its plate without having to deal with the fallout of instructors who don't want to play by the rules.

Last edited:

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Just curious whether there is any MSP guidance for when an instructor covers the required material in less than two 8-hour days? And what about lunch breaks... travel time from classroom to the range. Differentials in class sizes can also make a difference in how quickly the material is covered, answering questions, etc.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    That instructor could have hundreds of applicants under his license by then. I highly doubt it to be honest.
    It wouldn't be that hard for MSP to revoke, or at least suspend pending investigation, every permit issued as a result of that instructor's certification, because they may have been issued using fraudulent documentation.

For those suspended, it would probably be easier to just re-take the training elsewhere rather than wait the indefinite amount of time it would take MSP to get around to each individual case. That's the way bureaucracies work, turn the process into a punishment to force compliance.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Just curious whether there is any MSP guidance for when an instructor covers the required material in less than two 8-hour days? And what about lunch breaks... travel time from classroom to the range. Differentials in class sizes can also make a difference in how quickly the material is covered, answering questions, etc.

My first instructor explained that the material is designed for 2 - 8 hour classes. Actual classroom time can be different depending on class size and knowledge levels. A larger class will obviously take longer on the range. Think of car repair. A particular repair will take X amount of time according to “the book” and you are charged accordingly even if the repair is done in less than the “required” time.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    What is the supposed "cheating"? Not doing the full 16 hours?
    Most likely. I don't have a name, but I heard of one doing only 4 hours for friends and family. I said something to the person telling me about it that it sounds more like the HQL course. His reply was "nope, the carry class." This person and I are staying well clear of that guy; taking our class at Guntry.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    What is the supposed "cheating"? Not doing the full 16 hours?
    Yup.. one got busted doing so. "Selling" training certs is another.

Will edit when I find/remember the news I've seen.

Found it..

Last edited:

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Most likely. I don't have a name, but I heard of one doing only 4 hours for friends and family. I said something to the person telling me about it that it sounds more like the HQL course. His reply was "nope, the carry class." This person and I are staying well clear of that guy; taking our class at Guntry.
    One on one instruction should definitely take less than 8 hours to cover the required instruction.

SigNerd

Feb 24, 2015
    Probably also includes things like the place I heard about using sims instead of actual live fire. But someone doing 4 of the 16 hours makes me not worry about the whole "it took a couple of hours less to get through 16 hours of material due to class size". The former will definitely be the target of any MSP action.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    16 hours is the requirement.

It's never been about the material, or training, or safety. If it was, many would be allowed to test out of it (most other shall issue states accept hunter safety certificate). It's about making people sit still as a hurdle.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    My first instructor explained that the material is designed for 2 - 8 hour classes. Actual classroom time can be different depending on class size and knowledge levels. A larger class will obviously take longer on the range. Think of car repair. A particular repair will take X amount of time according to “the book” and you are charged accordingly even if the repair is done in less than the “required” time.
    no. 16 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom