Votes: 1 2.6%
    • Garand Rifle

Votes: 25 64.1%
    • M-11 Full auto

Votes: 13 33.3%

• Total voters

simplegreen

Professional Nerd
    So my mother in law makes some serious cash and my wife is her only child. As a result im her only son. She tries to spoil us when she can (its not one sided im sending her and my wife to the Bahamas for Christmas)

She's given me a choice of things to get for Christmas however. New ski equipment, which i dont need as i just purchased gloves, skis, boots etc last year (im usually good for 4-5 years)

Or a new gun. Always wanted a Garand but never felt like dishing the cash on a safe queen...till now.

Here's my issue though.

1) it HAS to be be a service grade rifle. It means absolutely nothing to me if it wasn't at least serialized to be in combat if not in combat.

2) has to be in good shooting condition.

3) (and the issue) i can't decide between the rifle or the carbine. I want some opinions. Especially valuable is the opinions from those that have both.

Things to consider

3a) Ammo cost
    3b) access to shoot (im in AA county with no real access to a rifle range)

All that said... i was given a limit on how much i am to spend.. do you think i should just take the money (2k) and put it towards the M-11 i've been eying up forever?

802064t.jpg

m1carbine_pfc_modelgun_wwii_WW2_GUNS-s480x360-14501-580.jpg

nfafirearms.17747.2.jpg

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=17747&query=retrieval

ke3gk

HAM from U.N.C.L.E.
    Aug 27, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    I would go with the full auto - we can go shooting :) - I'll carry the ammo this time.

You know sooner or later you will own all three so why not get the one that is most out of reach right now since you will be getting help with the cost.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I have zero interest in full auto or EBG's, that's just my opinion HOWEVER, EVERYBODY should own at least 1 Garand. They are afterall as Patton said "the greatest single battle implement ever devised by man. That's a tall order to top unless we start talking ships and aircraft. :D

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    Full auto is nice, but there are a number of ways to scratch that itch. But IMHO no collection is complete without a Garand, and I feel almost as strongly about the M1 carbine. The Garand really needs no justification. The carbine might, to some eyes, for whom I would say that it's one of the most fun guns I've ever shot. I just picked up mine recently (after years of shooting a buddies, and looking fruitlessly for an affordable paratrooper... riiiight!) from SOG. Paid a little more than I wanted to but got a very nice Winchester (http://www.southernohiogun.com/longguns-2/surplus-longguns/winchester-m-1-carbine-30cal.html). Took it out last weekend and man, is it sweet! (and the best ammo deal I've found so far is from cmp: http://www.thecmp.org/ammosales.htm).

My vote would be 1) Garand 2) M1 Carbine.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Just a point of info: Service Grade does not mean that is was serialized for service or saw action...

Field Grades saw action. Rack Grades saw action. As did Correct and Collector Grades. They are simply description of the condition of the rifle.

If you want to make sure it may have seen action in WWII, stick with either a Winchester (only made during WWII), or a Springfield with a serial number below about 3.5 million (2/45). All of the others H&R, IHC and later Springfields were all post WWII, but may have seen action in Korea. There is no way to tell from the serial # if they saw action or not...

Jamie

Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    The serial number only gives you a reference period as to when the receiver was made esp in Springfield Armory and Winchesters. It (they) may or may not have seen actual war/combat service. Your best source for the rifle being a certain grade, checking headspace, test fired and being sure it isn't a welded receiver is the CMP. Easy to join an affiliated club and also meet the eligibility requirements. Rifle will be shipped to your door. If you buy privately, be sure to get the CMP certificate with the serial number on it to get the best/safest rifle for the $. Ammo is also avaiable from CMP at the best prices going anywhere. Don't use commercial 30-06 ammo! PM me for ??'s
    Forget carbines from the CMP unless you bid on the auction site, but you must fulfill all of the requirements before hand.
    Personally the M1 Garand is the way to go first.
    Good luck. :D

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    That M-11 you linked is showing as SPF (sold pending funds). Garand and M1 are must haves, but also much cheaper than the subgun. Go with an M11!

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    A CMP Garand is definitely the way to go. If you can, take a road trip and choose one by hand. The folks at the CMP appreciate those who make the pilgrimage and will usually put aside some special rifles for the store (I.e. early features, low serial numbers, and "special service grade" guns). Also, since surplus rifles come in many varieties ask for some books for Christmas. Bruce Canfield's Complete Guide to the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine is my recommendation.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Get the carbine, they have been drying up faster lately, so the prices will be going up a little faster that the Garand, get it while you have the chance, alot of ppl will have Garands available later

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom