• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phillywilly

May 30, 2008
    Germantown
    Is any one using one in there ar-15? after spending longer then I would like cleaning my bolt, I will never shoot wolf my gun again, and taking some of the finish off along with the gunk I started thinking about getting a chrome bolt witch lead me to thinking about replacing the bolt group carrier and all with a chrome plated model.

so question one any one using one and like it?
    I found them offered in standard, NM, Light, heavy what difference does weight make?
    Three other then a head space gage what else would I need to install one?
    thanks for any feed back

Kchen986

aka "SWAT" =P
    Oct 12, 2008
    The general consensus on AR reliability is to err on the heavier side when it comes to BCGs and recoil buffers. I think the 'magic' number for combined BCG & BUFF weight is 14.9oz (or something). Too heavy and the gun will short stroke (not cycle all the way) most often if the ammo is under powered or if the gun gets too dirty. Too light, and the extraction process begins too early--thereby possibly ripping out the case rim (chamber/brass pressure is still high, chamber is still 'sealed').

I have a Young Manuf. NM Chrome BCG in mine. It's heavier than the stock AR bcg, I forget by how many oz.

Here's a quick pic for reference:
    m183134502.jpg

(top's unshrouded bolt carrier, middle is the NM, bottom is the stock AR)

Overall, with the heavier Young Manuf. BCG, the gun cycles smoother. I'm very pleased with mine, but i don't think YM stakes their gas keys, so be sure yours is staked.

In terms of cleaning, yes you could clean it with a paper towl, BUT: because dirt is so much more noticeable, you'll probably end up spending MORE time cleaning it.

Let us know what you do!

ateixeira

Don't know shit!
    Jan 5, 2009
    MD.
    The general consensus on AR reliability is to err on the heavier side when it comes to BCGs and recoil buffers. I think the 'magic' number for combined BCG & BUFF weight is 14.9oz (or something). Too heavy and the gun will short stroke (not cycle all the way) most often if the ammo is under powered or if the gun gets too dirty. Too light, and the extraction process begins too early--thereby possibly ripping out the case rim (chamber/brass pressure is still high, chamber is still 'sealed').

I have a Young Manuf. NM Chrome BCG in mine. It's heavier than the stock AR bcg, I forget by how many oz.

Here's a quick pic for reference:
    m183134502.jpg

(top's unshrouded bolt carrier, middle is the NM, bottom is the stock AR)

Overall, with the heavier Young Manuf. BCG, the gun cycles smoother. I'm very pleased with mine, but i don't think YM stakes their gas keys, so be sure yours is staked.

In terms of cleaning, yes you could clean it with a paper towl, BUT: because dirt is so much more noticeable, you'll probably end up spending MORE time cleaning it.

Let us know what you do!

I thought those heavy BC like the one shown in the middle where for fully automatic use therefore being "illegal" to use? I have been told this on several occasions but have never read any facts. I picked one up some time ago and when at the range the resident black rifle "guru" noticed it and cautioned me on the use of it by telling me that I could be charged with "intent" to construct an illegal firearm. Can anyone shed any light on this? I do like the chrome do to the fact that they are easier to clean at least for me anyhow.

dclemens

Sep 28, 2007
    Kingsville,MD
    I thought those heavy BC like the one shown in the middle where for fully automatic use therefore being "illegal" to use? I have been told this on several occasions but have never read any facts. I picked one up some time ago and when at the range the resident black rifle "guru" noticed it and cautioned me on the use of it by telling me that I could be charged with "intent" to construct an illegal firearm. Can anyone shed any light on this? I do like the chrome do to the fact that they are easier to clean at least for me anyhow.

You can use whatever BGC you want. If you use a F/A BCG it does not make your rifle F/A so you arn't breaking any rules.

phillywilly

May 30, 2008
    Germantown
    I was looking at the Young NM BGC I did see they made both ar-15 and m16 BCG's but I did not see any reason to add that to my list of questions when I know I have an AR-15.
    thanks for the feed back.

LowRecoil

Federalist
    Mar 18, 2007
    Harford
    Yes, that's a F/A bolt which is thicker and better made than the S/A ones. To my knowledge, it is ok to use them since they, in and of themselves, do not make the gun F/A. I thought it was the sear that they are concerned about. If anyone knows differently, chime in. Otherwise I would recommend you use the thicker (F/A) one.

As to Wolf ammo being dirty, try Barnaul, it's worse. If you want to get rid of it let me know.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I'm building a retro AR (air force a1 ) and was planning on using a chrome BCG. How hard or expensive is it to stake the gas key?

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    DRMS,

Staking the gas key shouldn't be a big deal. Just find a smith with a MOAKS staking tool to do the job right. It is a simple job with the right tool. If they charged more than about 20 bucks for doing a proper staking job I'd start looking for a new smith.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Or go to Home Depot and buy an autopunch for $5 or if you really want to get crazy... Just use a regular punch and a hammer...

Staking is not a big deal and you really don't need a special tool or a gun smith to do it.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Conversing with those of the 07SOT/Class III persuasion, most that I know agree that having FA parts for a given gun in your possession is enough to at least have unpleasant attention. I DO NOT keep M16 FA parts as I own AR15s. I leave all FA components at my friend's shop.

I'll own up to telling Alex not to keep that BCG around. It is NOT enough to make a gun fully automatic, but I dont take chances. As I read the ATF handbook (an opinion shared by others that are wiser than I) there is no need that the weapon actually be a functional full-auto for you to be charged. Even if you can prove that you are not making a machine gun, I don't want to be the one the ATF decides to pick on. I have a "match" BCG in my Bushmaster that is cut in the traditional SA way but has thicker and slightly heavier walls (it is not chrome).

Any lawyers or ATF agents feel free to correct me, but I don't fool around when it comes to machine gun parts. I shoot them but do not keep parts around for machine guns when I am the legal owner of AR15s (i DO NOT own an M16)

phillywilly

May 30, 2008
    Germantown
    Thanks for the feed back I just put in an order for a Young Manuf. NM Chrome BCG. I figure I will stake the key with a center punch and when that causes the chrome to chip off I will order a new key and take it to a smith.

ateixeira

Don't know shit!
    Jan 5, 2009
    MD.
    Conversing with those of the 07SOT/Class III persuasion, most that I know agree that having FA parts for a given gun in your possession is enough to at least have unpleasant attention. I DO NOT keep M16 FA parts as I own AR15s. I leave all FA components at my friend's shop.

I'll own up to telling Alex not to keep that BCG around. It is NOT enough to make a gun fully automatic, but I dont take chances. As I read the ATF handbook (an opinion shared by others that are wiser than I) there is no need that the weapon actually be a functional full-auto for you to be charged. Even if you can prove that you are not making a machine gun, I don't want to be the one the ATF decides to pick on. I have a "match" BCG in my Bushmaster that is cut in the traditional SA way but has thicker and slightly heavier walls (it is not chrome).

Any lawyers or ATF agents feel free to correct me, but I don't fool around when it comes to machine gun parts. I shoot them but do not keep parts around for machine guns when I am the legal owner of AR15s (i DO NOT own an M16)

Just to be on the safe side I will still get mine modifide. I don't wan't any dumb Joe that is not completely aware of the issue and law to give me any unwanted attention...Great replies all:thumbsup:

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    IMO is is a LOT easier to clean a Chrome BC. Like was stated you can just about clean it with a paper towel. They also have a slicker feel to them, if that makes sense :o and do not seem to need as much lubrication.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Concur on chromed BCG and bolts being easier to clean. I also think they assist in overall lubricity (sp?). I have to comment on the original poster complaining about cleaning a standard BCG and bolt though. If you are wearing the finish off of your BCG when cleaning, then you are doing something wrong. I have never worn the finish off through cleaning. I have to think you are either over-cleaning or using a product or technique that is overly harsh. A can of carb cleaner will blast off most everything, but baked-on carbon deposits and that comes off without too much hassle or harm to the finish by using a good scraping tool such as brass flat tip screwdriver. I also recommend trying to find a reputable smith to stake your carrier key. Why would you risk damaging an expensive BCG like the Young to save $20 or less that a smith would charge to do it right the first time? Either do that or invest in the proper tools if you have it in your mind to do it yourself.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    To add to my post above regarding over cleaning. This is something that always chapped my butt in the military. The overemphasis on spotless weapons from basic training to unit arms rooms/armorers has contributed to undo weapons wear and reduced lifecycle replacement times of parts and systems. The same goes for privately owned weapons. It is more important to ensure the weapon is properly lubed and that you use a good dehumidifer in your storage container (unless you are shooting corrosive ammo).

I drank the AR cleaning koolaid for too many years until I finally got educated. I know some pretty highspeed users that clean their ARs every 3,000 rounds. They lube the snot out of them and they run. If you need to do something to feel good after shooting, pull the BCG, wipe it down/re-lube, same for the inside of the upper, apply lube in the chamber and barrel, and run a boresnake through it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom