• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I'm locking for a clean pistol powder for use with a 124gr 9mm. I want a clean burning powder, that is common in most stores, and relatively cheap. Please tell me what your favorite is.

Thanks

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Im a fan of Win 231 - but I load it for 45ACP. It does burn pretty clean. Its a VERY common powder, and just about every shop that carries powder, carries Win 231. It can be used in a multitude of calibers. You will find 231 shows up in a lot of load data for alot of pistol rounds.

One thing to watch for in pistol rounds, are powder charges, that are on the low side. Excessive air gaps in the case, tends to cause soot to form from the added air in the burn. That gives you that dark black soot. But some powders are just plain dirty in certain calibers irregardless.

You may want to look in your load data, and look for a powder that fills the case more, but within safe loading of course. 231 usally does.

Kizmit99

May 18, 2011
    Howard Co
    Another recommendation for Win231 here. I use in 9mm and it's always performed well and seems relatively clean. Just started using it in 38special as well.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I like titegroup as well, on the lower charges as D.C.R. posted, it does leave some soot, but as you work up the charge (for me anyways), the cleaner it seems to burn.

I like the pistol loading, much harder to screw up compared to bottle-necked rifle cartridges. :innocent0

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    clean powder

W231 and HP38 are the same powder. If you check the Hodgdon website you will see that the data is now identical (Hodgdon either owns or distributes Hodgdon, Winchester and IMR powders).
    I use W231/HP38 for most of my shooting of straight wall pistol cartridges, but find that Clays is also an excellent clean powder.
    All of the relatively fast powders are economical because of the relatively small charges, but they also afford the increased opportunity for the double charge.
    DocAitch

Baumer

Jan 21, 2010
    I use or have used 231, titegroup, bullseye, AA2, and VV N320. From the cleanliness perspective N320 is the winner, but doesn't meet your commonly available criteria, and it's almost twice the cost. My second choice would be 231, but titegroup is close.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Currently loading W231 in 9mm subsonics as i've found it relatively clean burning.

my non-suppressor loads (and all my .45) in standard cartridges tend to be bullseye due to inertia (i was taught to load them with bullseye, so I just keep on keepin on). I run a medium/warm .45acp load (based on old data books) that is now considered pretty warm and the bullseye seems to be reasonably clean. Really light loads in pistol cases, as noted above, are not often clean.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    I use Titegroup. I find it to be consistent and inexpensive, but I do see the soot problem in my light competition loads. I have been told that Clays helps in this regard due to the larger case volume taken up by powder, causing less soot.

I still have to do some testing to find out.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    Thanks everyone for all of the good suggestion. Looks like I'm down to the top three powders

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I use Unique almost exclusively. Despite what people say, it's plenty clean if you load it up nice and hot. Works great for 9mm. Cheap and common for sure.

ThumperIII

Jun 11, 2009
    Maryland
    I like how well W231 / HP38 run through my press and meters very consistent loads. Has enough bulk that a double charge should be obvious. Use it for 9mm, 38Spec, 357SIG, 40S&W and 45acp. Does good for medium to fairly hot loads. Seems a fairly clean burn and have found no exceptional power (pressure) changes from summer to winter temps. Some specific powders may do a tad better in some of these calibers, but the W231/HP38 do quite well for all. This is a valuable asset in Maryland with the extremely low powder storage limits when you also may load for a couple rifle calibers that really do run best with using several different powders.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom