• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I will imagine CMP will need new peeps and some newskillsets for these to ramp up

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    well after California don't expect Obama to sign anything now to allow these guns to flood the streets that will allow blood to flow in the streets, just like the 94 assault weapons ban argument.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    That's a repeat of the update that started the thread....

Nothing is being said about the 1911's that the army has kept using- the ones where they recut the slides with tactical sights and replaced entire slides with SA and other modern makers.

I strongly suspect those "cut" and "bubba" 1911's will come out cheaper.

I believe marks statements on pricing relate to only milspec (pre berretta) 1911's not ones that the army modified after. Those will be a crap shoot. Just got to wait and see.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    $1k... Sorry, just lost interest unless we are talking Colt in good condition...

Seriously, I thought the whole idea was to discount these back to the taxpayers. Not get near top money end money for them. I would be find with a 1 or 2 gun person person limit but seriously, I can get a lot for $1k and I am far from the cheap guy when it comes to guns.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    $1K for a mixmaster. More for more collectable pieces. I still need a wartime 1911A1 for my WWII collection (keep getting outbid on them) and had hopes for CMP. A little more skeptical right now.

jasonk1229

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2013
    MD
    the way the carbines got handled i hope they do some sort of lottery system or something more organized rather than dump out boxes of mail

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    cmp link

Mark Johnson said:
    Korean War era, 70-75% 1911-A1 Remingtons, bring $1200 to $1500, and they book around that number. So $1000 1911-A1s from Army storage with CMP paperwork, rack grade will be a bargain. One of the best bargains out there. I am a gun guy, a collector, a shooter, not just the COO.

Jul 1, 2012
    yeah, but those 75% RR's at that price are all correct, original finish and not arsenaled mixmasters.

Regardless, whatever CMP decides to charge, people will go apesh!t over them and they will sell out forthwith.

pen

Sep 15, 2015
    Carroll county
    yeah, but those 75% RR's at that price are all correct, original finish and not arsenaled mixmasters.

Regardless, whatever CMP decides to charge, people will go apesh!t over them and they will sell out forthwith.

Exactly! Collector M1911A1’s will have all-matching parts, as verified by one of several collector books. The slide and frame will match by manufacturer, period of manufacture, condition of finish, etc.

As you can imagine, a rifle or pistol that was manufactured during wartime and used by the military for as long as 45 years is not likely to be in pristine condition. An all-original weapon that has a nice finish has value, and this demand is being met on the open market.

I see some red flags with the sale of the 1911’s through CMP.

Questionable metallurgy, there is no doubt that these will be beat to hell, mix-master arsenal rebuilds, worn out pistols, prone to stress cracks….that may or may not be seen. CMP is capable of isolating and identifying the visible ones. Are they going to magnaflux ALL of them? Or will they issue something similar to what DMP did back in the 60’s……SOLD as un-serviceable?

Buying something sight unseen is just that. You don’t know what you are getting. I am sure they will attempt to match RR slides to frames and vis versa with Colt. However, without physically checking you get what you get. I don’t expect any Singers or US and S’s outside of the auctions.

CMP lost their way when they stopped the one per lifetime policy. Now it’s winner take all. How does this promote firearm training and safety? For some the expected starting price of 1000.00 dollars is worth it. Maybe it is for a wall hanger or safe queen, this is what the 80% correct 1911’s are selling for +/- currently.

Let’s see if this happens. I truly believe that if CMP does not take the time to vet these with meticulous inspections and attention to detail, word will get out that they are pushing overpriced mix-master specials. This may seriously affect their future sales and bring the overall collectability down.

Good luck to all who eventually get one, two, or ten.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl

If I can afford one or 2, Ill jump at the chance. On the other hand, I don't think they will be cheap. :o

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed it, but there is a gun buying frenzy going on right now. That Sistema you could buy for $450 in 2013 is selling for $650 to $750 on GB right now. Colts are selling at premiums.

"A record number of firearms background checks were conducted by the FBI in 2015 — equating roughly to 44 checks every minute."
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jan/4/background-checks-gun-sales-record-high-2015/

If CMP releases mixmaster GI service grade 1911's, the CMP provenance alone adds to its collectability. Like the M1 Carbine frenzy, I doubt that anyone whose mail order gets to the CMP on day two of the sale will get one.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    1911's at Anniston: http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=269320

24361358473_987da3c697_n.jpg

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I'm not buying that story.3 extremely rare pistols from a museum just tossed onto a huge pile of un protected pistols to be bubble wrapped all together like that, bs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom