• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Just a heads up to anyone that might be interested and has the money right now (unlike me :envy: ) that they have a limited stock of carbines in. Even if you don't want to shoot one they still tend to be a damn good investment. Just an fyi.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    How would one go about buying from the CMP?

If you go to their website at www.odcmp.org they have a guide. Basically you print out and send in the order form along with your check, they run the NICS on you when they get it, and a few weeks later the rifle is delivered to your house (they get an exemption from federal law to be able to do this). The only thing is, and they'll explain this on the cmp website, is you need to belong to some kind of a shooting club or a veterans or professional organization (VFW, Legion, DAV, FOP, etc.) affiliated with them to order. That's not as bad as it sounds, they have a list of tons of them and many only cost 25-30 bucks a year to join and don't require any meetings or anything. So for what you're saving on the rifle the few extra bucks to join a club is worth it.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I picked up the new CMP paper catalog down at the Quantico "Wounded Warrior" CMP shoot on Saturday and have been drooling over it ever since. :heart:

Becoming a member of the "CMP Club" (to be qualified to purchase) is relatively easy and the biggest impediment is usually finding membership in a CMP affiliate club, but they'll help you find one.

They currently show the "Inland" being in stock and ready to go now, with additional manufacturer's rifles becoming available in September. Like Zoostation said, they are a heckuva investment. Carbines are running right around a thousand now for almost any example, and the CMP Carbine is only $495. . . I too wish I wasn't so broke.:sad20:

Lambo

R.I.P.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Bel Air, Maryland
    I'm a member of a CMP Affiliated Club. To qualify for Rifle Purchases you must also participate in the Matches!
    I plan to take a FT to the North Store in Ohio some time soon, most likely in June. Chip in for Gas and your welcome to come along, have room for 4! If there's alot of interest for this I would suggest organizing a Bus Trip.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I'm a member of a CMP Affiliated Club. To qualify for Rifle Purchases you must also participate in the Matches! . . . . .

Yes, certainly true, but participation in matches is (now) only one way of several to satisfy the "marksmanship requirements":

Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity

You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

* Current or past military service.
    * Current or past law enforcement service
    * Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
    * Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
    * Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
    * Concealed Carry License.
    * Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.
    * FFL or C&R license.
    * Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
    * Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf
    * No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages.

NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/eligibility_requirements.htm

navycrna

Smell My Face
    Feb 28, 2007
    howard county
    If I wasn't in the middle of my AR build that I am trying to finish before the next shoot I would be very tempted. Just seem to be never enough funds for all the toys that I need:envy:

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    DD214 meets the requirement for shooting activity experience. However I think you still need a club or organization affiliation. VFW or AL will do if you belong to either of those as well.

navycrna

Smell My Face
    Feb 28, 2007
    howard county
    Yes, they say specifcally that they will not waive this particular requirement, and to please contact them if you need help getting into a CMP club.

That is not true though. This is taken straight from their CMP site.

Membership in many of these organizations costs $25.00 or less and can be accomplished online. A listing of affiliated organizations can be found by clicking on our Club Search web page at http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubSearch.cgi. If you have any difficulty in locating a club, please contact the CMP at 256-835-8455 or by emailing custserve@odcmp.com. We will find one for you. In addition to shooting clubs, the CMP also has several special affiliates. Membership in these organizations satisfies our requirement for purchase. These special affiliates include: Congressionally chartered veterans' organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc. U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National Guard, to include retirees. Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc.

According to this you do not have to be part of a club as long as you have prior or current service.

Deacon51

Feb 28, 2007
    Baltimore City
    Well, I sent them a email to ask if prior military service, with an honorable discharge would qualify me to buy a rifle... I'll post the reply.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Well, I sent them a email to ask if prior military service, with an honorable discharge would qualify me to buy a rifle... I'll post the reply.

I scaned them a copy of one of my 214's and that was all they needed. Call them voice and get a name and email to send it to, made it lots easier. No Garands anymore emphises is on the carbines but they still have deals once in awhile and the Greek 06 ammo is great.

Deacon51

Feb 28, 2007
    Baltimore City
    Well, here is what they sent me...

Since I am not retired military, I still must join a club.

Military service counts for the club membership purposes only if you are active or retired military. If you are not a member of a veterans organization such as VFW, American Legion, etc, then you will need to check into some kind of other membership options. There will be a list of clubs on our website for your state under the club info tab.

Lynne Williams
    Customer Relations Manager
    CMP South
    lwilliams@odcmp.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads