• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    How was the bore and rifling on the rack grade? Do the rack grade rifles make good shooters or are they pretty rough?
    It was okay - some pitting below the wood. I think the barrel was +3/+3.

The Garand Collectors Association magazine this winter had a series of articles on a RTI Garand they sent to Fulton Armory and had them overhaul it. That is what gave me the idea to do the same with my Rack Grade Springfield.

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    So, recently I was at a local gun store talking about my new CMP Garand pickup with a guy I know at the store and he asked me how I got it. I told him about the paperwork process and that they shipped it right to me. Another one of his coworkers overheard that I had it shipped straight to my door via FedEx and immediately started saying that he’s never heard of that and he would be asking on an MDSP chat board for the legality of that. He comes back a few minutes later saying that he spoke with an officer and that it’s not legal to have that done in MD because it was being shipped from out of state without an FFL intermediary. So I begin to explain to him that the CMP is exempt from the regular FFL protocols (I don’t know the actual statute on that) and that there is nowhere in MD code that would go against the CMP exemption.

So my question is, can anyone find anywhere that points to a law in MD that would restrict the CMP from shipping to my door? And what is the statute that allows the CMP to ship directly to peoples homes?
    What "local gun shop" did you go too?

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    So, recently I was at a local gun store talking about my new CMP Garand pickup with a guy I know at the store and he asked me how I got it. I told him about the paperwork process and that they shipped it right to me. Another one of his coworkers overheard that I had it shipped straight to my door via FedEx and immediately started saying that he’s never heard of that and he would be asking on an MDSP chat board for the legality of that. He comes back a few minutes later saying that he spoke with an officer and that it’s not legal to have that done in MD because it was being shipped from out of state without an FFL intermediary. So I begin to explain to him that the CMP is exempt from the regular FFL protocols (I don’t know the actual statute on that) and that there is nowhere in MD code that would go against the CMP exemption.

So my question is, can anyone find anywhere that points to a law in MD that would restrict the CMP from shipping to my door? And what is the statute that allows the CMP to ship directly to peoples homes?
    CMP has an FFL, they do a nics check on you, and they are specifically allowed by law to do this.

So another LGS expert who has no idea WTF they are talking about.

Carry on.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The CMP got some sort of special exemption from Congress to ship rifles directly. As mentioned, someone at the CMP forum will have a detailed answer.

Back in the Clinton administration, the Democrats discovered the existence of the DCM, the U.S. Army program which sold rifles to civilians. Of course, they shut that down. In response, the Republicans created the CMP, which sells far more rifles to civilians.

The old DCM, which existed since the Teddy Roosevelt administration, was shipping rifles long before the 1968 GCA ended mail order gun sales. I would guess the DCM got an exemption in the GCA, and that exemption was extended to the new CMP.

A few states, such as New Jersey, require the rifles to be transferred by an FFL. I would guess the carve out to allow states to do that is in the original legislation which set up the CMP.

Now your clueless buddy down at the gun store is trying to screw things up with his stupid questions. What kind of brain dead clueless idiot does that?

Never, never, never ask a Maryland State Trooper, or any LEO, a legal question. They are not lawyers. It would make more sense to ask the IRS a question about tax law, and I hope you know better than to do that.

If you ask 10 different MSP troopers a question about gun law, you will get 15 answers, probably all wrong. You might do a little better with the Licensing Division versus a random trooper running traffic enforcement, but don't be too sure about that. The MSP has nothing to do with the CMP. Why would they know about some obscure Federal law or regulation? Your buddy's trooper buddy has never even heard of the CMP, just like your damfool gun store buddy. It's the blind leading the blind.

What possible good can come from stirring things up? All it takes is a single concerned citizen to call a single publicity-hungry anti-gun delegate, and Maryland could go the way of New Jersey.
    I mean, one difference is, that asking the IRS, a large number of IRS employees ARE legal experts in tax law. Unlike MSP. Now the person answering the phone at the IRS isn't, but they do have a large policy and legal department where you very much can ask them questions.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Agreed. OP, don't overthink this. We have all bought numerous CMP firearms. It's all on the up and up. It's fine. Go buy.
    Hey, sir! No, we have not all bought numerous CMP firearm. I only have the one Garand from them.

Makes me wish I could change that and make it multiple.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    For your first Garand, get a Service Grade or better.
    This. I am a little sad my special had a brand new stock. But, it is in extremely good shape otherwise and runs like a top. Of course, as a brand new stock, the stock did need a few treatments of BLO. Some day I'd love to get a rack grade with an original stock. But no can do with the wife and the safe is full. The odds of being allowed another safe are somewhere between hell no and divorce. At least in the next few years.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    This. I am a little sad my special had a brand new stock. But, it is in extremely good shape otherwise and runs like a top. Of course, as a brand new stock, the stock did need a few treatments of BLO. Some day I'd love to get a rack grade with an original stock. But no can do with the wife and the safe is full. The odds of being allowed another safe are somewhere between hell no and divorce. At least in the next few years.
    Lesson learned you should have bought a bigger first safe. PSA for all new gun buyers. :D

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    The odds of being allowed another safe are somewhere between hell no and divorce. At least in the next few years.
    So get a security cabinet. Technically not a safe. Get a Cabelas MasterCard and use points at Cabelas/BassPro. I find the points to help with buying more stuff and being able to say I didn't 'spend' money.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Lesson learned you should have bought a bigger first safe. PSA for all new gun buyers. :D
    Hell yes. That said, not sure a 40-60 gun safe would have passed muster. “Why do you need space for all that many guns?!?”

Heck, I got the same question when I went from a 12 gun locker to a proper 25 gun safe.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So get a security cabinet. Technically not a safe. Get a Cabelas MasterCard and use points at Cabelas/BassPro. I find the points to help with buying more stuff and being able to say I didn't 'spend' money.
    It isn’t a question of money. It’s a question of my wife doesn’t like guns. Why do I need more than 2 or 3? Why do I need guns that can be shot fast? Or little guns?

We were married when I was 24. I didn’t own guns till I was 32. So…

Many of my guns have been a fight. I am not stupid enough to try to rationalize to her why I need a bigger safe. My options are wait a few more years and maybe I’ll try the argument. Or wait till we move out of the area. I do NOT want to move a safe. And we are likely to own/build whatever it is we move to before moving out of here. So I can just buy a bigger safe for the new house. It’s a few years away. 17 if I have to wait till retirement. 11 if just waiting for all the kids to be out of the house and through college. A longgggg time. I’ll also probably have a lot more money then. Sucks, but most of the stuff I want I could afford now (maybe not buying every single gun I want, as that’s a lot of guns!) and could almost certainly afford then. And other than MGs, everything I want has almost no chance of being banned (or else there has been universal confiscation of everything) as they are mostly manual shotguns, bolt guns, and revolvers (a few semi auto handguns still). Or they are banned in MD right now anyway (like an M1A and AK-47).

Now if MD does get FSA2013 struck down I can shoe horn in one or two more long guns. Might need rifle rods to do it though, but I’ll be eyeing up some of the banned stuff I really want.

As it stands, most of my bucket list has been checked. There will always be stuff I want though.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    It isn’t a question of money. It’s a question of my wife doesn’t like guns. Why do I need more than 2 or 3? Why do I need guns that can be shot fast? Or little guns?

We were married when I was 24. I didn’t own guns till I was 32. So…
    Depends on what you mean by fight. If you you just like to let her know what you spend on money and have to suffer some general griping, that's one thing. But it's another if she really accuses you of wasting money or making the house more 'dangerous'.

Sounds like more of a no more guns 'allowed' problem and not 'need more safes' problem.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Depends on what you mean by fight. If you you just like to let her know what you spend on money and have to suffer some general griping, that's one thing. But it's another if she really accuses you of wasting money or making the house more 'dangerous'.

Sounds like more of a no more guns 'allowed' problem and not 'need more safes' problem.
    Yes on your last. But I can usually manage to twist her arm in to another gun every once in awhile. But, “I need a bigger safe” will get in to “why. How many guns DO you have if they won’t all fit in that safe”.

She knows I have a lot. But intellectually knowing “a lot”. And “you have HOW many!?!” Are different things.

And there would be me pointing out that one of them is a muzzleloader and not really a gun isn’t going to go over well.

Heck, she has asked me twice before and then, “wait I take it back. I don’t want to know. Because if I know exactly how many, that makes it real for me, and it’s already too many”.

Not like I quick close up the safe if I am cleaning guns and she stops by my gun/reloading room.

Like I said, if it comes down to it, I could cram in maybe another long gun, especially if it is not a pistol grip and scoped long gun. If I switch my safe to rifle rods, I could probably cram in two or three more. Though tight, I could rearrange what I have in there and get some more hangers and a pistol rack probably and fit in half a dozen or more handguns.

Actually my tactic is to push for an in wall long gun safe of my master bedroom closet. More secure for a handgun than the bedside handgun vault, and if I move an AR to in-wall safe that frees up a spot in the basement safe…

She hates guns. Doesn’t like them in the house. Hates that I’ve by extension made her a gun owner. She has fully said she knows that’s largely irrational and really has no problem with me hunting. Though she doesn’t want me butchering the deer in her kitchen (even though I do 90% of the cooking. Somehow it’s her kitchen). Also that one more gun doesn’t change the fact “we still own guns”.

Basically she knows it’s 100% emotional (and faulty emotional). But she feels the way she feels. And basically every time I get a gun, it rips that sore wide open. Some haven’t been worse that “ugh, another gun?” Some have been knock down drag out crying angry fights that I bought a gun before she gets over it/moves on a few days later. Usually the best ones are when there is something in it for her. Like, “hey, there’s this gun I want to get. You’ve mentioned you wanted a new sectional for the basement…”

Those are usually in the ugh or mild resentment and negative comments for a few days category.

Sucks. But it’s about the only thing that ever causes problems in our marriage and otherwise see about eye to eye on everything other than guns.

And I never know. Like I said, sometimes a gun has barely raised an eyebrow (a couple of times). Or a massive fight (a few times). Most are somewhere in between. And not like one is I told her I was buying a gun and the other was I bought one in secret and she found out later (that did happen fairly early on and that was BAD. All guns since then I’ve told her up front I was buying it). The last one was a massive fight.

And not everything is a huge fight. Going to the range doesn’t bother her. Spending time reloading or buying ammo and components generally doesn’t bother her. Oh, rare negative comments. But rare. Getting my carry permit wasn’t any kind of a fight. She thought it was stupid. But she also thinks that Maryland criminalizing possession of a handgun outside of target shooting or hunting is also stupid. “You mean you can’t go to the grocery store on the way back from the range?”

Last edited:

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Yes on your last. But I can usually manage to twist her arm in to another gun every once in awhile. But, “I need a bigger safe” will get in to “why. How many guns DO you have if they won’t all fit in that safe”.

She knows I have a lot. But intellectually knowing “a lot”. And “you have HOW many!?!” Are different things.

And there would be me pointing out that one of them is a muzzleloader and not really a gun isn’t going to go over well.

Heck, she has asked me twice before and then, “wait I take it back. I don’t want to know. Because if I know exactly how many, that makes it real for me, and it’s already too many”.

Not like I quick close up the safe if I am cleaning guns and she stops by my gun/reloading room.

Like I said, if it comes down to it, I could cram in maybe another long gun, especially if it is not a pistol grip and scoped long gun. If I switch my safe to rifle rods, I could probably cram in two or three more. Though tight, I could rearrange what I have in there and get some more hangers and a pistol rack probably and fit in half a dozen or more handguns.

Actually my tactic is to push for an in wall long gun safe of my master bedroom closet. More secure for a handgun than the bedside handgun vault, and if I move an AR to in-wall safe that frees up a spot in the basement safe…

She hates guns. Doesn’t like them in the house. Hates that I’ve by extension made her a gun owner. She has fully said she knows that’s largely irrational and really has no problem with me hunting. Though she doesn’t want me butchering the deer in her kitchen (even though I do 90% of the cooking. Somehow it’s her kitchen). Also that one more gun doesn’t change the fact “we still own guns”.

Basically she knows it’s 100% emotional (and faulty emotional). But she feels the way she feels. And basically every time I get a gun, it rips that sore wide open. Some haven’t been worse that “ugh, another gun?” Some have been knock down drag out crying angry fights that I bought a gun before she gets over it/moves on a few days later. Usually the best ones are when there is something in it for her. Like, “hey, there’s this gun I want to get. You’ve mentioned you wanted a new sectional for the basement…”

Those are usually in the ugh or mild resentment and negative comments for a few days category.

Sucks. But it’s about the only thing that ever causes problems in our marriage and otherwise see about eye to eye on everything other than guns.

And I never know. Like I said, sometimes a gun has barely raised an eyebrow (a couple of times). Or a massive fight (a few times). Most are somewhere in between. And not like one is I told her I was buying a gun and the other was I bought one in secret and she found out later (that did happen fairly early on and that was BAD. All guns since then I’ve told her up front I was buying it). The last one was a massive fight.

And not everything is a huge fight. Going to the range doesn’t bother her. Spending time reloading or buying ammo and components generally doesn’t bother her. Oh, rare negative comments. But rare. Getting my carry permit wasn’t any kind of a fight. She thought it was stupid. But she also thinks that Maryland criminalizing possession of a handgun outside of target shooting or hunting is also stupid. “You mean you can’t go to the grocery store on the way back from the range?”
    If you add a scope to something you already have it might necessitate another storage cabinet of some kind. It just did for me. I had some other pressures from other guns too.

I only have one Garand, btw. Got other things on my list ahead of more.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    You need a bigger gun safe because you stuff all the other valuables in it, too. Car title, etc. Wills. Other documents. Fine jewelry.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    …Another one of his coworkers overheard that I had it shipped straight to my door via FedEx and immediately started saying that he’s never heard of that and he would be asking on an MDSP chat board for the legality of that. He comes back a few minutes later saying that he spoke with an officer and that it’s not legal …

What a complete douche of an ass-hat … !

What gun store was this, again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom