• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phillywilly

May 30, 2008
    Germantown
    I have been looking on line the last two days to find some sort of step by step disassembly instructions for a colt detective special made in 1974 or 75. It is getting a bit gummy feeling and not as crisp as it was. I don't think the side plate has ever been off it and have a feeing there is some dirty lube in the works.
    secondly Is this even a good idea to do my self or should i take it to a pro?

Just I note I found the sales slip for it. My Dad bought it for 147.00 at a Montgomery wards. A little mind boggling thinking you could buy a colt for $147.00 at a department store.
    thanks for any help

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    There are books with disassembly/assembly instructions and the Detective Special is sure to be in one. I'm not sure of where to point you to find them, though.

But I can say that with a quality set of gunsmith screwdrivers and thoughtful care, you should be able to disassemble and clean it yourself. From what you said it seems that cleaning is all it needs, so removing most of the internal parts shouldn't be necessary because you can spray it or soak it in a good cleaner/degreaser. I'd suggest lubing it sparingly with a good oil that contains Teflon or molybdenum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom