• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    just an idea, i keep all my ammo in ziplock bags, and then in ammo cans...i put 100 rounds in each bag, all of the same kind. never mix.

you could do this to put all your different types of ammo in one box, save space, and still keep them organized

I like this. Know what I'm doing during the Christmas - New Year lull. Bagging and counting.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Recently, someone here mentioned they dumped their boxes into ammo cans matter of factly and I thought I may have been missing something... Had similar concerns as expressed here.

It might be they purchased one large lot of the same brand, caliber, bullet weight, lot number, etc and then dumped these in a can.

I keep my factory ammo either in the original box, or some I have stripper clipped, but one lot only in a can, and I keep on box to know what is in there.

silanehead

Sarcastic Member
    Oct 24, 2012
    Dundalk
    I load all new ammo on strippers then fill bandoliers. Mark em with a piece of masking tape and a sharpie, brand, cal., grains. Just grab one from the ammo can and go. faster loading the mags at the range too.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Accuracy would be my biggest concern with the "dump everything together" plan.

You'll want to group them at least by brand, bullet weight and type. These things will effect how the bullets group. Even the same weight bullet with a different ballistic coefficient and different powder behind it can have a significantly different point of impact.

If you're storing match ammo, you may even want to group them by lot #.

Lastly...safety. If you dump everything together, it's also harder to make sure you're not inadvertently lumping together similar but different calibers. I'd hate to figure that out when the firearm goes bang.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Well slavedriver that's why you invite people to the range to carry your sh1t.

Oh sh!t, Mopar is catching on to me.:rolleyes::innocent0

SNI, I strongly recommend you keep the factory ammo in the original boxes. Take it from a pro and the voice of experience.

Remember the class last May???????????:rolleyes:

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I say leave them in the boxes, it's not that much more room and here is a few reasons why i would leave them in boxes

1) if there is any problems with a batch, you can easily identify them
    2) guns shoot different with different ammo, so if you mix ammo you will get mixed accuracy with the same gun. OR you will have to dig ammo out to fnd the same kind to go shooting.( no fun)
    3) when I go shooting, I usually take three guns. It's much easier for me to grab three boxes of ammo for each gun, rather than try to count out 100-150 rounds and then take them.
    4) I find the boxes fit much better in the ammo cans for most ammo choices. Keeps it neat and organized.

5) when I go to the range and take the three boxes of each, I can fit all boxes into a small bag along with any tools needed for those rifles to adjust sights etc..

Just my .02, take it for what it's worth.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    wallace_250.jpg

Don't mix the ammo!

Yesterday, today, forever!

(couldn't resist)

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I find it is easier for me to store ammo in the boxes in ammo cans. I try to keep like calibers in a can. I mark the outside of the can with a letter and keep a spreadsheet. I only have to grab what I need for the session. I actually will sometimes update the spreadsheet too.

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Carefull how you comingle ammo... rumor has it that is how S&W really created the 40 S&W. Somebody at the R&D Dept. left a 380 next to a 10mm over the weekend. Monday morning, they found dozens of lil 40s all over the bench!

:D

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Carefull how you comingle ammo... rumor has it that is how S&W really created the 40 S&W. Somebody at the R&D Dept. left a 380 next to a 10mm over the weekend. Monday morning, they found dozens of lil 40s all over the bench!

:D

Yeah, then Sig left a few fowteey's and some nah-meels floatin' around the shop for a weekend................well y'all know the rest.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Except for 12ga, .22lr and some handgun ammo mine is all handloaded in large batches. The 12ga and .22lr are efficient enough packaging I don't worry about leaving it in original boxes. Factory handgun ammo in original boxes is stuff I don't have much of. Large batch handloads get two treatments, match ammo in MTM or Berry's boxes, just ammo loose in ammo cans. Each gets a label as to what load it is. Beyond that I don't worry as each large batch of handloads is the same lot of primers, same or similar brass and same lot of powder. Large batch means a minimum of 500 rounds .308 or .30-06 or 1000 rounds .223.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    Bonus question: How do you manage your inventory count? Keep an accounting?

By keeping it in boxes - makes it MUCH easier to count.

Keep the counts on a spreadsheet.

Reloads are kept in sandwich ziplock baggies (50 rounds each) or small 'snack' zip locks (20 rounds each) - with a slip of paper indicating the load and date the load was made. (I print the slips on cardstock).

Dr Dano HPR

Mar 4, 2013
    Towson
    Agree with Bolts Rock. My match ammo and reloads goes into plastic cartridge boxes with labels detailing date loaded, primer, powder, weight, bullet, etc. All factory stuff stays in original boxes because sometimes it can stay in inventory for years/decades and it can be hard to remember what it was years later. Also, if you decide to sell or trade old inventory it will give the buyer a much greater degree of confidence in what they are buying and maximize the value of what you are selling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom