• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AvidRider

Dec 3, 2010
    I tried to search the threads for an answer, but had no luck. I'm looking to see if anyone has seen signs at the visitor centers and restroom buildings in Shenandoah National Park (Skyline Drive). The NPS.Gov website states that concealed carry is allowed based on the laws of the state that the park is located. However, there is a note that law prohibits firearms in "certain park facilities and buildings", and that those prohibitions are identified with signs at the entrances.

Anyone have experience with this at Skyline Drive? Below is the link and the excerpt of the language within the link:

Please remember that federal law prohibits firearms in certain park facilities and buildings. These places are marked with signs at public entrances.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I've seen that sign on just about every NPS building I've ever encountered.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I tried to search the threads for an answer, but had no luck. I'm looking to see if anyone has seen signs at the visitor centers and restroom buildings in Shenandoah National Park (Skyline Drive). The NPS.Gov website states that concealed carry is allowed based on the laws of the state that the park is located. However, there is a note that law prohibits firearms in "certain park facilities and buildings", and that those prohibitions are identified with signs at the entrances.

Anyone have experience with this at Skyline Drive? Below is the link and the excerpt of the language within the link:

Please remember that federal law prohibits firearms in certain park facilities and buildings. These places are marked with signs at public entrances.

Go to the main NPS page on the issue. They are more explicit regarding what facilities/buildings are off limits as is the referenced section of federal code (pretty much all of them are no-gos for carry). NPS property outside these facilities is where they abide by state laws.

Possession of Firearms in Federal Facilities
    Unless expressly authorized, Federal law prohibits the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon in NPS facilities. These buildings include, but are not limited to, government offices, visitor centers, ranger stations, fee collection buildings, and maintenance facilities. 18 U.S.C. 930.

(g)As used in this section:
    (1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    On Skyline Drive it also depends on whether Deleware North is operating the space as a concession. Examples would be the lodges at Skyland and Big Meadows.

I confess that as far as the bathrooms outside of the buildings I ignore the signs if they are posted. Coming off of a hike and needing to go to bathroom, no way to both piss and comply w the sign.

I do comply with the posted signs as they appear fr places like Big Meadows visitor center that are operated by NPS.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    On Skyline Drive it also depends on whether Deleware North is operating the space as a concession. Examples would be the lodges at Skyland and Big Meadows.

I confess that as far as the bathrooms outside of the buildings I ignore the signs if they are posted. Coming off of a hike and needing to go to bathroom, no way to both piss and comply w the sign.

I do comply with the posted signs as they appear fr places like Big Meadows visitor center that are operated by NPS.
    Hey, when you gotta go, you gotta go! :)

AvidRider

Dec 3, 2010
    Thanks all for the responses. I was hoping that at least the bathrooms did not have the signs. I guess they are worried that we'll shoot the porcelain toilets just for chits and giggles.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Acadia National Park visitor center/gift shop on Mt. Desert Island, Maine has prohibited signs on the doors, as does the J.N. “Ding” Darling Wildlife Refuge VC on Sanibel Island, Florida. These are the only two that I’m aware of (I don’t get out much). I haven’t been to the Blackwater Refuge building in years, but I’d bet a dollar they have prohibited signs as well.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    My understanding is that the prohibition applies particularly to buildings which are occupied by Park Service employees.

It shouldn't apply to stand-alone bathroom buildings.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    What is the rational for these prohibitions in gov't buildings? Never made sense to me other than the old, "Because I said so."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom