• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Companies such as Hamilton, Remington, Stevens, and others made popular "boy's rifles" from ~1890 to 1945. Many were in .32 Short or Long rim fire. I'm wondering about converting one to center fire for the .32 S&W cartridges. Any thoughts, etc. would be appreciated.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Are they fired by a spurred hammer or a firing pin? A spurred hammer can be ground down and drilled to install a spur in the correct location. If it has a pin that strikes it? If it is a hammer (internal or external) you "might be able to drill an alternate pin channel to the correct location. IANAGS

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Are they fired by a spurred hammer or a firing pin?

That depends on the design of the action, of course. The Remingtons use rolling blocks, the Hamiltons and Stevens are, I think, both falling blocks. I've seen a video where Larry Potterfield converts a .32 rim fire Winchester High Wall to center fire after it's rebored and rechambered for the .357 Magnum. Pretty straight-forward, but I'm hoping to avoid anything that involved (read: expensive).

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    How much chamber pressure difference is there between the two rounds? Can the action take it?

The .32 S&W Long was developed back in the days when nitro powders were new and metallurgy was not nearly as advanced as now, and it was designed to produce what we now consider to be low pressures. Today, 12,000 CUP is the absolute maximum load for the cartridge, and is only to be used in modern revolvers in excellent condition. Most loads are in the 8,000 to 10,000 CUP range. A typical rim fire rifle chamber in good shape can handle those pressures easily, especially if it's a rolling block or falling block design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom